Next Year's Kentucky Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Apr 15, 2014.

1. LabraGator

LabraGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Credibility,

gone.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Seriously, what a crock of shit. CFITB is just as bad as Bert
  3. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +742
    It is a different point of view from a rival poster...all I'm saying is I don't understand why we have a pissing match about it all the times the goal is to win ball games and there are different ways of doing this and each person is entitled to their opinion.

I understand both philosophies...but I lean to one over the other...but both can and do work.

Jeff
  4. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +742
    Florida had the MUCH better overall year than Kentucky that is stupid to deny. Sure Kentucky made a great run but overall the season was a rocky one. Polls don't mean a damn thing in college basketball it only matters who has the trophies..conference and national champion and we had NEITHER!

Jeff
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Thanks Jeff - Yeah Citi is way out on the ledge on that one. 3 - 0 head to head, better record, better everything except one point, wins in the dance. I would say 98 out of 100 unbiased opinions would give UF an edge in the "who was better in 14" argument when looking at the facts.

Be that as it may I'm kinda tired of the perpetual pissing match about the programs, recruiting etc. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I like our guy and our program.

Here is my take - The first three years under Cal UK was a run away train, I think we won one game in that stretch.
    But as good as UK was and is under Cal, UF has evened things out the last couple of years. UF has been very competitive in conference. Considering KY's emphasis, expenditure of resources and tradition I think Billy has done a remarkable job keeping pace, While UK fans can claim a natty in the 5 years of Cal you can't say you have run off and left the SEC in the dirt insofar as it relates to UF.

Next year looks like another UF / KY horse race. I'm very excited about UF's prospects especially if we acquire
    Mourning. I can't wait to see Hill and Walker doing their thing. It turned out to be a great season for UF and KY and
    hopefully the NCAA / media perception of the SEC will change a bit considering the SEC had two FF participants.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    This post is too inherently stupid to dignify with a response. Further, you have established yourself poorly on these boards as an unobjective partisan whose opinion is worthless. I will not engage with you at all in the future except to infract you if you cross the line of decorum.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Dayumn - Gotham, Citi got your ilk up I see :) - Agree with you for sure, that 14 comment is KY homer all the way. "infract" sounds like you are bringing your legal skills into play !!! Nice to see those updated "Billy" accomplishments on your pic. Nice symmetry 6 - 4 - 2
  8. CFITB

CFITB Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    settle down guys - I just said it was up for debate. UF had an extraordinary year and was far superior to UK in the regular season. And yeah MOST unbiased people would say UF had the better year overall. But the SECT came down to just one point between them in favor of UF, and UK had a much better NCAA tourney run beating out 4 top ten-teams in a row. Yeah they only went one game further than UF but that was a HUGE game, and I also firmly believe that UK played better than UF did during the tourney

Besides I only was responding to the guy because of his attempt at proving that Billy's "system" was better than Cal's because UF had been better in 3 of the last 4 years - which is not accurate at all and mysteriously leaves off Cal's first year at Kentucky.

But good debating with you guys... to be honest I'm with you Gatorhead. The pissing match gets old, and I guess I'm as guilty as anyone.

In the end, both programs are in great shape going forward, and I have to cook dinner.
  9. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    That's fair CFITB but be careful with Gotham, he's a moderator so tread careful. I'm kinda done with the Cal hatin, I can't change the KY regulars mind about Cal so I quit trying. Both programs have exceptional coaches, we just don't like your guy that much.

Next year is going to be exciting, seems the consensus is that you guys have the edge if the twins come back and we do if they don't. I think both teams are going to be good again and I won't be surprised if LSU and Arkansas make some noise.

Tell me about this short guard you guys recruited, is he like Ervin Walker? He must be darn good to get a ship to your place.
  10. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Oh ....... Whats for dinner, me and a dozen NBN boyz be showin up for some home cookin..........lol
  11. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    I know something that is not open for debate. That is that your grasp on reality is really weak.
  12. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    For me anyway, the goal is to win ballgames but with high ethical principles at every step of the way. Granted, that cannot always be attained easily, but there is a big diff between the two aproaches we speak of. The UF approach is more traditional and brews the tasty meal over a four year period. UK stuff is fast food.............quick preparation, quick results, little substance.......ready for a new meal about an hour later...

burp...
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    I searched a little bit, but didn't find exactly what I recall Cal saying. There were plenty of stories about Cal "encouraging" players to leave the program if they were projected as potential lottery picks. There was a story (prior to UK) about Cal tearing up someone's scholarship when the player was talking about maybe returning to school even though he was a projected lottery pick. (Yes, that was probably just theater to a great extent as I'm sure if the player had still not put his name in for the draft before the deadline that the scholarship would have still been there.)

Certainly, Cal goes beyond just giving the players the facts and letting them and their families decide. Some people probably see that as a good thing, and to some extent I would agree. But, the "problem" for me is how Cal bases his whole program on being a launching pad to the NBA to the exclusion of all the other things* that make every other program in college basketball so great.

* - and those other great things are on steroids in Donovan's program
  14. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +742
    Both coaches are paid a damn ton of money to win....it is just a difference in philosophy is all. I get it, your big on seniors and I'm not that big on them..we could have one or two.

Jeff
  15. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +742
    Of course if you are a lottery player as a coach you should tell them to leave...it's guaranteed money and you do risk injury. You can always go back to school if you choose to, but the NBA is just a window of time.

Jeff
  16. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    I just really hope Cal doesn't get you guys in trouble like he has done at other programs in the past. Of course I am not near the UK program but something just doesn't seem truthful with him for some reason. He talks like a used car salesman or something. Plus, I hate it when a program has to suffer because of what their coach did. I really hope I am wrong.
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +503
    They will have plenty of talent as usual. I for one will not be making any dire predictions for them.
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,259
    I'm glad Donovan didn't tell Noah, Horford & Brewer to leave. Donovan does more like what you initially said Cal does: he gives the players the best info he can & lets them decide without trying to push them in either direction.

But, as I said earlier, maybe Cal is changing his model if he's not actively encouraging his current potential lottery picks to leave.
  19. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +742
    What potential lottery picks do we have that he is convincing to stay lol. He talks to the GM's and tells them where they are at....most college coaches do the same thing. I'm reading Calipari's new book and he gets real in depth on this.

Jeff
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    "Most unbiased"? Maybe "most" or maybe "unbiased," but I would say nearly everyone who doesn't have a UK sweatshirt would agree that UF had the better year overall.

That's basketball. It also came after 20-point thumping a week earlier and after we had dominated the first half to open a prohibitive lead. A team as talented and green as UK should improve by the third time they play Florida. That doesn't negate two wins, including a blowout in Gainesville and a double-digit win in Rupp. How many double digits losses at Rupp has Calipari suffered since arriving?

That's only because you played four top ten teams in a row. How do you know we wouldn't have done the same? Just because you beat better teams (by much slimmer margins) doesn't mean you are a better team.

And it was one that was ultimately lost to the same team by a similar margin.

Yet Florida won its first four games by double digits, whereas Kentucky required deep, off-balanced threes to win two of their games. Sure, they were against better teams (if you go by seeding), but it wasn't like you guys ran your first five opponents off the court. Weren't all your wins by single digits? And three of them by a single shot?
    • Like Like x 1