Next year.....Driskel AND Murphy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Drewsagator, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Jeff was 17/22 with a few balls tipped. We ran the ball 48 times vs Toledo TRY AGAIN
  2. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    It depends on how one defines "skill set". If it is forty time and arm strength they probably are similar. If that "set" is broadened to include the mental aspect of the game, instinct, pocket presence and awareness, how similar they are is open to debate.
  3. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I am talking about what kind of offenses they can run from an athletic stand point. The other things will decide which QB starts. No reason to play both since they have similar skill sets. Long time until anybody has to make a decision on this. But if both are healthy it should be one or the other not both.
  4. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    If Murphy continues to play well, then we can use Driskel and his "big arm" in the Eric Kresser role. Hail Marys and deep post patterns are your friends Jeff.
  5. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    LOL.......more like a bored old timer throwing out scenario that might or might not ever take place. All in all I think this board has a higher football IQ than most of the other ones I've been on........by the way I'm still optimistic about this season which is what made me think of this topic to begin with.

I think if Tyler has a good year and we win 9,10 or even 11 games, I think he will be the starter next year......I also know the coaches SEEM to play players they like and they are not stupid. They know JD has limitations as a pocket passer and if Tyler is starting they will give JD something. My thought is that they tell him "screw the pocket" take off and get us a quick 15-20 yard gain when your 1st read isn't there......in other words, do what ya do best.......
  6. canuck_gator

canuck_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Driskel - Unrealized potential

Murphy - Realized performance

Which would you rather have ?
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    To date, against the lowest of our defensive competition.

Let's pleeeaasssee slow down here. Murphy's done very well so far, but there's a LOT more to come.
  8. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    This was the point of my post. I'm a Murphy supporter because he has shown out great in two games so far, and that is all we have to go by. I feel no need to put an astericks next to his stats and say "Yea, but it was against Tenn and Kentucky." I also feel no need to trash Driskel - kid gave what he had.

The only real questions outstanding are: (1) who will start next year, and that will be decided... next year and (2) if Murphy plays super well, do the coaches have an issue with putting our best on the field - and that will show or not thru the next 3-5 games.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    I'm certainly not putting asterisks on anything, I'm saying let's wait and see. That applies to Driskel and his development, too.
  10. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Wow, OBOB. You can't just say "Murphy is looking great." You have to add "let's wait and see" or "the competition has been bad." Very few doubt that we need to "wait and see" if he will be great or not, but why can't the sentence "he has played great to date" stand alone?

Never mind, done on this as Murphy will prove himself, or not, thru the year.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Why is "let's wait and see" when we have a potential QB battle coming up next year considered some egregious sentiment? Particularly when one guy has started just one game.
  12. MusicCityGator

MusicCityGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,301
    Well I don't know what all you coaches base your decisions on, but where I come from you don't lose your starting position due to an injury.
  13. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    it's too early to tell about murphy. fla has played one good team and lost. they beat 3 mediocre teams. the real test is lsu and uga.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    "Lets wait and see" is the logical thing to answer . If TM is as good as some people know he is then he is probably going to enter the NFL draft and we are stuck with Driskel battling Grier because obviously Skyler and Max are not on Grier's level. But if you watched the elite 11 you know Grier was killing it in shorts so he will def beat out Jeff and win 3 Heisman's
  15. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Only 3 Heisman Trophies? Obviously leaving for NFL after 3 years.
  16. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Hello 1978
  17. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +339
    Actually that happens often. You get injured, next man in...if he performs better than you, enjoy warming that bench.
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    I've never been a fan of this sort of preferential treatment. Let the kids compete for the spot.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    I'm not a fan of it, but I don't think there's as much competition as we'd like to think once someone becomes a starter for a year.
  20. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I agree completely. While I do think that it is too early for a completely accurate assessment of Tyler Murphy at this point, I also think that it already appears evident that he is superior to Driskel in the mental aspect of the game. The guy looks like a field general out there already.

I think that this is also the key area where the staff undervalued him as a potential starter, hence all the debate here. It's probably not a huge stretch to think that the coaches have been hoping that Driskel's mental awakening would happen with enough time... and that when it did happen it would make him the complete option at QB with his superior physical tools. We really didn't get to see too much of him this year, but it didn't appear that he was making significant progress in realizing a big improvement in that aspect of the game.

The optimism expressed here is imo completely warranted with what has already been shown by Murphy the past couple games. The similar physical skill set to Driskel is still there, but now we have a guy with better awareness and decision-making skills back there to contend with our problems on the line. How can any Gator fan not be excited right now?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.