Next year.....Driskel AND Murphy

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Drewsagator, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,582
    My thing is this, while Murphy may have played crappy defenses, I've watched Driskel do terrible against worse competition. So I think its ok to be optimistic about Murphy. Obviously he will have to digress a little, his numbers (specifically his att/comp) isn't really sustainable. I just think he has looked better in one complete game than Driskel has, well ever.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I would agree with this
  3. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Great points, but I would rather not have a controversy. I hated all the message board talk before last season. At this point I just don't believe JD has what it takes to lead us all season to get to where we think this team should be....Championship level !!! But I think he could contribute in a huge way...But who knows we could be screaming for Murphy's head in a matter of weeks.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +890
    I like Murphy and have hope for him, but he didn't carve up UK (15 completions, about 150 yards total), and UK does not have a fairly decent secondary. UK stinks.

Murphy was highly efficient and mostly tight with the football, and he made smart decisions to dump it off or run when his downfield options were not open. He's quick and nimble. I like him.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    :shrug:

In the last two years Tennessee has been the worst defense we've faced.

Last year, Driskel @ UT: 14/20, 219 yards, 2 TDs 195 rating, 8 rushes for 81 yards.
    This year, Murphy vs UT: 8/14, 134 yards, 1 TD 161 rating, 10 rushes for 84 yards.

Murphy may prove to be the real deal, a hidden gem and our future at QB. But I can't say that with certainty due to the teams he's faced.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    But how did the people around him play in those games? What games did you think Driskel was terrible in this year? The Oline was terrible at the end of the year last year we could not even run the football on bad teams. It is ok to think he looks better and be excited about TM play and the team overall There is just more to see
  7. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Murphy completed 13 passes in a row, led us to TDs/scores in the red zone, did not cost us yards, escaped the pocket and only had 1 turnover. Those are facts and the only available facts we have. In other words they are the only REALITY we have. Reality is that there is no need for an astericks every time his performances are mentioned.

The fact that Tenn/Kentucky are not great defenses is a fair, but you must ASSUME Murphy will do poorly against better teams to downplay the above reality.

I just don't get the need to interject "reality", which is not really reality but an assumption of future negative results, into every discussion of Murphy?

If Demarcus Robinson caught balls for 200 yards, would people incessantly say "yes, but it was Tennessee?" Why the need with Murphy?
  8. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Murphy has far exceeded expectations, and no reason at all to not be excited about the kid. i'm sure he'll have his games where he's not as good as we would have hoped, but so far, very, very good.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    I don't know who is better or worse, but if murphy continues to play great this yr, then the coaches will have quite the predicament on their hands.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I do not assume Murphy will do poorly against better teams so I dont know what you are talking about
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Nobody's assuming anything nor predicting future failure. We're saying hold off until we have more (and better) data.
  12. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    To me that would be the beauty of it all. The minute the defense starts to play only run with JD he could move the sticks with his short and mid range accurate throws and if Tyler sees them leaning toward pass especially in man coverage he keeps the sticks moving with his legs.
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +827
    Some people can't or more likely refuse for some reason to see obvious talent, leadership, gamesmanship, and all around quality football or lack thereof.

A player has to drop 50 passes before we really know he can't catch, and a player apparently has to hoist the Maxwell before we're sure he can QB, or the Thorpe before he can be the best db on the team...

Glad I can evaluate talent at an early stage in their career. It allows me to be excited about a player that much longer. ;)

I don't play favorites. I want the best players on the field, regardless. Sometimes it's just so easy to see who they are.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I don't understand why it is so hard for some of these people to get some of us are waiting for more info instead of jumping to conclusions
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Neither of these things are true, of course.

The alternative is claiming to know a player after he played well against two of the worst defenses we will face this year.

I don't know why needing to see a guy play against a top 50 defense before declaring him the future seems excessive.

I've very happy with Murphy and in those two games I thought he played better than Jeff to date this year. But not better than Jeff against a few crummy defenses last year. Hence my "wait and see" approach.
  16. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +827
    Meh, its like the gator fans "predicting" Winston isn't all that because he's played "nobody". Anybody with eye balls can see the kid is the real deal. I don't need to wait till he plays UF to know it. I just hope his OL ruins his day.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    These same people with eyeballs made a whole bunch of gutsy predictions about John Brantley.

I feel fairly safe in the wait and see category, thanks.
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Their skill set are the similar Jeff just has a bigger arm. I would just pick one and run him more knowing if he gets hurt the other one can step in a do the job.
  19. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +827
    Lol. Ok.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    It just comes down to how much data you as a person needs to come to a conclusion. Before the season I believed I had enough data on our football team to say we should have the best D in the country if healthy. In this case I believe I havent seen enough of Tyler to say how great he will be. I have seen enough to believe we can win football games with him at QB if others around him play well. But there is a wait and see on his greatness
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.