New Vette gets 29 MPG

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Emmitto, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    • Like Like x 1
  2. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,223
    I Prefer this "Sting Ray":ninja:

[​IMG]
    The Don Davis Collection

27 April 2013

Lot 109

1963 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray 'Fuel-Injected' Split-Window Coupe

Sold for $192,500

• Chassis no. 30837S117508

• Contact Us
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

360 bhp, 327 cu. in. L84 V-8 engine with Rochester Ramjet mechanical fuel injection, four-speed Muncie manual transmission, four-wheel independent suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 98 in.

• The famed “Split-Window” Corvette: a GM design icon
    • One of only 2,610 original factory “Fuelies” built in 1963
    • Subject of a complete frame-off restoration
    • Excellent colors and options, including date-coded correct knock-off style hubcaps

Few Corvettes have achieved such notoriety as the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray, which launched the second generation of America’s Sports Car with a sexy aerodynamic design by Bill Mitchell and Larry Shinoda, riding a thoroughly redesigned chassis with Corvette’s first four-wheel independent suspension, developed by Zora Arkus Duntov. Also new was the first-ever production Corvette Coupe, immediately recognized by its split rear window. While the basic design of the coupe would last until 1967, the “split-window” would not, and it is the signature identifying feature of closed 1963 Corvettes today.

The all-new Corvette generated immediate acclaim, with Motor Trend testers remarking, “We thought the old model cornered darn well, but there’s no comparing it to this new one.” Road & Track stated that the 1963 Corvette “will know few peers.” The model has become something of a design classic, renowned for its combination of European-inspired high style and American brawn, and it remains coveted by Corvette collectors as a landmark in the history of what may be Chevrolet’s most important model. This year, the model celebrates its 50th anniversary.

Of the four 327 V-8 engines available, the top mill was the 360-horsepower L84 with Rochester Ramjet mechanical fuel injection, propelling the Corvette to 60 mph in under six seconds—performance that remains exhilarating, even today. Naturally, that engine is what can be found under the hood of Don Davis’ ’63, which presents today in the rarely seen shade of Saddle Tan with optional leather interior, exactly as it was built in July 1963, as can be verified by the correct trim tag and the original Protect-o-Plate—one can take confidence that all are present and are in their expected locations. In fact, this car received a complete frame-off restoration from an undamaged original car, and it is numbers-matching, as verified by perfectly lined-up date codes throughout, a correct engine pad number, all of the original factory bond seams present in every fender and panels, and pans that are all natural factory fiberglass, never painted or chemically treated.

The car is equipped with an AM/FM radio, clock, heater, and power windows, as well as the four-speed manual transmission, 3.36 positraction rear axle, and five original, date-coded Kelsey-Hayes knock-off style hubcaps. Thanks to its thorough restoration, it is clean, tidy, and in very correct condition, showing 53,443 miles, with all finishes throughout appearing as they should and being in fine shape. The car is complete with its original owner’s packet, manual, warranty booklet, and a 1963 issue of Car and Driver.

The 1963 Corvette is a car that every enthusiast of American performance cars needs to own. Fifty years after the Sting Ray first began to appear at the stoplights of America, this would be a wonderful time to fill that gap in one’s collection, and this example—numbers-matching, outstandingly presented, well-optioned, and carrying the glorious “Fuelie” title—would be a wonderful way to do it. Nothing says “happy anniversary” like the growl of fuel-injected V-8 power.
    Please contact our exclusive automotive transportation partner, Reliable Carriers, for a shipping quote or any other information on the transport of this vehicle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<nav> [​IMG] </nav>
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    Best bang-for-the-buck in the world. I literally had tears in my eyes when the new vette was unveiled as a Stingray. The car captured my imagination when I was very small.
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    This one appears worthy too. Maybe those 80's versions were intentionally uninspired so they could triumphantly bring back the Stingray designation now. That's some seriously clever long-term planning (bankruptcy and all!)

Not that I regularly have $50-60K on hand to indulge my whims, but you're right, it truly is a per-dollar marvel. I once dropped nearly $40K on that Daimler-Chrysler cruel joke called a Crossfire. With a little extra partience and commitment I could've had this. That's right up there with that time I remodeled the kitchen of the apartment I was renting. (I didn't really do that last one.)
  5. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    I use to own a 1977 yellow Corvette as shown here.

[​IMG]
  6. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Interesting comments about the transmission. 7 speeds is pretty cool, but the reviewer didn't find it user friendly.
  7. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I used to own a '65 Corvette Stringray convertible. British Racing Green with tan leather interior with a 327 and a Hurst 4 speed. 8 miles to the gallon. Top speed was 50mph but it got there in a hurry. :)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    hmm gotta be super or turbocharged to get that HP out of the engine and maintain the fuel ratio.

I read that the 2014/15 mustang will be smaller and almost looks like a hyundai genesis and that it will also have a turbo'd engine
    [​IMG]
  9. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I love it.. used to have a Chevelle SS 396, but always coveted the Sting Ray. I'll have to wait a few more years and maybe then.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Nope, the C7 is naturally aspirated with cylinder deactivation and very good software to skip gears and manage fuel consumption.

The next generation Mustang is going to have a family of engines and an ecoboost option is one of them along with the traditional V8.
  11. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    The next generation Mustang will also be 400 lbs. lighter.
  12. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,744
    WOW..Looks like their getting away from the classic Mustang look that put the Mustang back on the map. It had to happen eventually, I guess.
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,219
    Bad for dragging too. I used a 'Vette 327 small block with a 4 - speed Beorg Warner tranny in my '67 Chevelle race car. Love those Chevy small blocks.
  14. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    I hate to think that in 10 years we are going to miss the manual tran

I love shifting through six

I guess technology will kill all of that with the paddle shifter/ electronic shift.
  15. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,223
    Nothing but cool, Jag!
  16. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    that new stang looks like the new mullet machine (camaro) and well I guess the barbie mobile will still be the best american muscle car.
  17. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,223
    I always wanted to own a Corvette, but never have. The nearest I Got to owning a Muscle car was a 69 MUSTANG fastball with a small but sweet 302 V8 & 3 on the floor.

I still think the 63 split-windowed Sting-Ray coupe was the sexiest car ever manufactured by Detroit..
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    Except for the color. :grin: j/k Jag.
  19. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    oh the new mustang is suppose to have 4 doors? WTH?
  20. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I ended up selling the car to my brother who was a motor head. He sold the 327 to someone who needed it for restoration and the guy gave him $2000 and a new 427 to replace the 327. This was pre-1980.

I always wanted one of these...

[​IMG]