New NBA commissioner wants 20 year age limit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Feb 7, 2014.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,130
    A perfect example of why the NBA's rule does not prevent players from earning a living if that's what they prefer.

Suffering a career ending injury in college pays nothing only if you don't get insurance covering that possibility.
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,130
    Fortunately, the system allows you to run your league that way if that's how you decide to run it. I'm sure your league will be very successful, too. :rolleyes:
  3. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    To tell someone you can't come work for your organization until they are 20 just seems against the Federal Labor Laws when our country says you are eligible to work at 18. This arguement to protect an athlete from making the wrong decision is ridiculous...if an 18 year old wants to bypass college for work why is the government not up in arms about those kids...are we only concerned that an athlete is making a bad decision? This is all to protect the NBA and NFL from themselves...it has nothing to do with what is best for the employees.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    Minimum age is constitutional, in fact its in the constitution. Minimum age to be elected to the House is n25, minimum age to be elected to the Senate is 30. Minimum age for President is 35. Tough to legally challenge under the circumstances.
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +664
    Those are govt. offices not private enterprise..there is even more of a precedent set by the NBA because they have hired 18 year old employees out of high school in the past but somehow a current 18 year old is not ready to play in the league. It is truly about the NBA protecting themselves.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    And if the NBA reaches an agreement with the union it will be upheld.
  7. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    This thinking and the existing nfl and nba rules are the very reason I hate pro sports. I understand that a player has a right to make a living but colleges and universities (teams) are all hurt by players leaving early. I'd rather a player not come to Florida at all if he's only going to stay one year. Ky is doing this and I think it demeans the university a lot. If a kid comes out of HS and only wants to play a year of college ball let him go straight to the nba and not disrupt aqny team. The NCAA can't do anything about this but the no-fun-league and the NBA can and shoul
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Players are required to be out of school for three years before entering the NFL Draft so I'm not sure what is your problem with the NFL. I can guarantee transfers are a much bigger issue for every single program out there than players leaving early for the NFL.
  9. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    In the context that I was using, discriminating/prejudice are interchangeable. Prejudice because they're arbitrarily pre judging that a 19 yr old can't do what a 21 yr old can do. Isn't that their argument? A 19 yr old couldn't hold up physically in the NFL. That's just not true. Most 19 yr olds can't, but some can.

Adrian Peterson as a freshman should've been in the NFL. Clowney, at the latest, as a sophomore should've been in the NFL. Jameis Winston now should be in the draft.

Sorry to get off of bball and the NBA but the same could be said for both sports.

Excuse any typos. Sent from my Galaxy.