New NBA commissioner wants 20 year age limit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Feb 7, 2014.

1. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    It's not just physical either though. Football is to me, the most challenging game to learn to become a pro. There is a reason there are so many coaches on every team to teach the game. It's so detailed, and so fine tuned at the pro level, a kid from high school has no chance to come into the NFL and succeed. He would get abused in a second even if strong enough. You really think a WR can come from High school, where he was faster, quicker, better at everything than the guys he played...and face a pro CB? He'd have zero shot. He wouldn't have the 100 hours of learning how to get off a press, the 100's of hours learning how to read the option route based on what the defensive is giving and the routes others are taking. And that's just two things he hasn't learned at an advanced level. If if he somehow knew those, there are 40 other things he needs to perfect. Basketball is challenging as well sure, but it's not nearly as detailed as football.
  2. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    This.
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    We have a winner, it's crap if a kid wants to go pro and a team drafts him that's it end of story.
  4. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    [Goingte="mdfgator, post: 7212904, member: 3217"]We have a winner, it's crap if a kid wants to go pro and a team drafts him that's it end of story.[/quote]

Going pro fine. If the NBA wants 20 or 21 and up that's their prerogative. No one is stopping kids from going to Europe. Or they can go to a start up league if anyone wants to compete with the NBA
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536

How fast do you think the NBA will change their mind if the top high school talent starts going to Europe or a start up league? And that shows you this has nothing to do with anything besides money. Why would the NBA be interested in improving college basketball?
  6. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +600
    I don't really understand why people think it's awful...it's not the best but it's the system. The NBA players union will not agree to the age limit so this is mute IMHO.

Jeff
  7. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I'd pick to keep it at one and done if it was either that or 2 and done. Really players should be able to go straight from highschool if they want. Billy D has only had 2 players so far in his career at UF that were one and done, so this rule hasn't really been a big problem for us. I can see why Kentucky would want to force players to stay 2 years, but that's mostly on Calipari and the one-and-done culture he has created there.
  8. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +595

Ah, yeah. We don't need barriers to opportunity.
  9. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +595

This is not particularly well thought out.a law office can hire anybody that they want. Even a homeless person, or a boy or girl wonder.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  10. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    age is too arbitrary. some are ready at 17 others at 24 others never at all. agree that baseball has it right. fund your development leagues properly and make that choice before going to college. Three years at school is a real commitment, but a meaningful one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    Couldn't agree more. Why would you make Kobe or Lebron or anybody wait until they're 20 to make a living in basketball in this country? Ridiculous. I hope they do make that rule so we can see it shot down in the courts.
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Personally, I don't think any player should be allowed into the NBA, the NFL or professional baseball unless they are at least 50 years old and have earned at least a Ph.D.

That rule would certainly reduce the number of idiotic things that professional athletes do.
  13. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    The nba can't hire a homeless person? You should look in the mirror when calling others out. Your rebuttal is Fsu level, this is a Florida forum. I expect a more intelligent one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    I think this would be pretty beneficial to the NBA. It helps protect GMs from themselves. They tend to take gambles on really young kids, who you really can't tell how good they are going to be after just one year of college (or one year in HS before). There are def exceptions to the rule, but there have been a lot of busts.

Look at some college guys who were projected to go high buy decided to come back for their 2nd year only to see their stock drop significantly when they didn't look as amazing their second year (Sulinger form OSU and potentially Marcus Smart come to mind). Makes sense for the NBA to want another year to see how good they are, and this is beneficial to the NCAA product as well. Win-win for both organizations IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    This will only increase the number of blue chip players who go straight to Europe instead of college bball. If I was a top player I would rather go to Europe and make a few million for 2 years then go to college, make nothing and then leave in 2 years.

Brandon Jennings went to Europe instead of college, and made 3.65 million total off of endorsements and salary in just 1 year. He then left to enter the draft where he was a lottery pick. Also Jennings didn't even do anything in Europe, yet he was still a lottery pick. Had Jennings suffered a career ending injury in Europe he still would have earned 3.65 million dollars. Had he suffered it in college he would have earned nothing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    That's my preference as well.
  17. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    Agree. It would spread the wealth more. Less of a revolving door where UK gets the best recruits every year.
  18. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    It is prejudice though. What if the NFL adopted a rule that you couldn't play past 40. That wouldn't hold up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,930
    I think the word you're looking for is discrimination and its not that at all. They have the right to set restrictions just like any employer. Whatever their reasons its their right to have them. Is it discrimination for companies to do background checks? Is it discrimination for restaurants to want clean shaved and well hygiene employees? Whether you agree with it is a different story and like others have mentioned if players start going overseas I'm sure they'd change it.
  20. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    maurice clarett and mike williams tried to challenge the nfl rule which held up. If rules are collectively bargained for, I doubt a court would want to get involved with overturning decisions that were agreed upon by the player's union and owners. NBA would not be able to use the argument that high school players are not ready as high school players have already gone to the NBA before and shown that they are ready.