New NBA commissioner wants 20 year age limit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Feb 7, 2014.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,164 / 16 / -5
    Edit: I see some others have hit on some of my points while I was writing and sometimes getting distracted here at work.

I don't get why most people seem so adamant about making the NBA rule like baseball, but don't care that football does the same thing. I don't buy the argument that fresh high school graduates aren't ready for football, but they are for basketball. There are some athletes that could play in the NFL right out of high school. If the principle (some athletes are ready straight out of high school) holds for basketball, then it holds for football.

Also, why follow the baseball model when the football model is more successful (i.e., college football and pro football are both more popular than college basketball and pro baseball - and I don't think those outcomes are disconnected from these rules)

Money may be a factor, but there are other benefits besides money for the rule IMO.

- More popularity for college basketball. College basketball is much more exciting when it's an "A-league". If players out of high school can go straight to the NBA, college basketball will hardly ever see any of the great players anymore - particularly if the players have to commit to 3 years of college (or go overseas) if they don't go straight to the NBA.

- More popularity for the NBA - which eventually translates to more money for the players we're talking about. Becoming a fan of players during their college years helps bring along a lot of fans and generate interest for the pro game.

- Fewer washouts like Kwame Brown - who at least got some big bucks, but also a very forgettable "career" (and hardly ever a smile cracked that I've ever seen). Sure, allowing players to go straight to the pros will work out great for the next LeBron, Kobe or Garnett. But, just about every hot-shot high schooler is going to want to go straight out of high school (even more than when they could do it before) and I think for most that won't be a good thing.

Selfishly, I prefer to see the best players play college ball. It'll be a bit of a letdown for me if NCAA basketball becomes essentially a "B-league" for lesser players. But, I think the NBA's proposal has other benefits beyond my viewing pleasure.

Plus, it's the NBA's right to make such rules. I wouldn't want to see that taken away either. Although, it would be interesting to see what would happen if another ABA springs up that does sign players straight out of high school.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    They can go overseas for sure.

But the U.S. claims to be about individual rights and freedom. Locking an adult out of a labor market isn't exactly in sync with that, is it?

"Indentured with beautiful women" does sound pretty good, though. :D

(edit - I renounce the silliness about locking adults out of the labor market, as I have been clearly corrected. I reserve the right to be indentured with beautiful women, though.)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +726 / 24 / -13
    Football is drastically different from the NBA and I disagree completely. I don't think a single kid from high school is ready to go against grown men in the NFL. Not even Clowney would I have put in the NFL and thought he stood a chance. NFL is a whole different level of physicality no sport but Hockey can match. The NBA is a little different, obviously physical but I think a player can mature in basketball quicker than Football. Football is a brutal game.
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    While I agree guys directly out of HS are not ready for the NFL, that should take care of itself without need for any laws precluding it, right?
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511 / 32 / -28

Eh, I've always said I dont' think this rule would hurt UK, as some have mentioned. However its not like they'd get all the same recruits. The most obvious example I can think of is that Brandon Knight probably would have picked Florida over backing up John Wall for a year at UK. It would spread things out more and would mean more talent is in college basketball overall.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It should be either right out of HS or wait 2 years. 1 year in college is a waste for a handful of people each year. Plus 2 years in college I think is more beneficial for teams/coaches knowing they'll have the athlete under their control for more than 1 semester.
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549 / 11 / -2
    I'm with Fox on this one. This isn't a regulation set by the government, or I'd be right with you. This would be a rule set by the employer itself. Some employers demand that you have a college degree, some demand that you can work on the weekends, some demand that you be a female, why not be at least 20 years old? Don't these private employers have rights to demand agreements on their terms as well?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,164 / 16 / -5
    But, who are we to say (I say the NFL can say just as the NBA can say)? You don't think there are any skill position players who couldn't contribute immediately in the NFL straight out of high school? But, they shouldn't be allowed because they'd get injured? Maybe, Percy still shouldn't be allowed in the NFL if that's the test.

Anyone can get injured at any time playing football and some skill players in the NFL never get that big physically (but somehow survive). I would use the RB for S Carolina as an example of someone who probably could have done okay in the NFL when he was a college freshman. But, of course, he's been wracked with injuries just playing college ball.

I'm not arguing to let players go straight to the NFL straight out of high school either, but I think the possible exceptions exist for both sports. So, the same principles should apply IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    You know what... you guys got me.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +507 / 9 / -2
    No one is telling 18-year olds they are not allowed gainful employment. Said 18-year old can go overseas and play basketball, or they can work at McDonalds. Nor are they forced to go play for a college program.

If the industry they want to pursue has a minimum standard for employment, it's incumbent upon the aspiring applicant to meet that minimum. I had to do this in my chosen profession: the industry demanded a bachelor's degree, plus licensure, before employment. I didn't go blabbing on the internet about my rights being trampled. Instead, I got a degree and a license.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,164 / 16 / -5
    Exactly. As an engineer, my profession doesn't allow me to fully practice as a professional engineer (PE) even straight out of college (much less straight out of high school). Of course, public safety is at issue in my field; and I can earn some money as an Engineer in Training while obtaining the required experience.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286 / 26 / -4
    You usually have pretty well thought out posts so this one kind of shocked me with how far it misses the mark.

Companies have this right and do so on a daily basis. And potential players have other opportunities to work other jobs or to play basketball in other leagues.

Look, if I'm the NBA I want better certainty when I draft a player which means drafting them closer to their filling out age of 21. It makes for a better product via better players and the minimizing of burdensome contracts. It will also create more followers as collegiate fans follow their favorite players on to the NBA.

The players association will be the biggest hurdle but I'd offer them to increase rookie contacts and tell them that enacting this will actually benefit current players...but that's just me.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549 / 11 / -2
    I gave you a "friendly" rating here, but I would feel a bit more comfortable with giving these out to another male if the emoticon was two dudes high-fiving or something.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,669 / 82 / -24
    LOL. It could have been worse. :D

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 4
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +503 / 28 / -11

I am a strong believer that the player who is NFL ready straight out of highschool is an absolute rarity. I can think of 1 player off the top of my head in the last 5 years who could have played in the NFL (physically) from day 1 and that is Jadaveon Clowney. The NFL is truly a man's league. It is a contact sport. The rule isn't to prevent guys from Clowney from going to the NFL. The rule is there to prevent the players who would no doubt be demolished by an NFL player like Kam Chancellor. An 18 year old hasn't even had all his growth plates close yet. He doesn't belong in a contact sport with NFL players.

Basketball on the other hand is a limited contact to non-contact sport. Yes I know there is some contact but fouls exist because contact is illegal. A kid fresh out of high school like Kobe Bryant can go in and you don't worry any more about him getting injured then the 10 year vet.

I'm all for a baseball like rule. To me the LeBron James kids all go and you end up with more continuity in the NCAA game.
  16. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,654 / 16 / -6
    This is better than one and done.
  17. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +726 / 24 / -13
    Honestly if they want to make money, they aren't forced into anything. There are European leagues that can offer pretty darn good money. The NBA is an organization. So they can't decide what they want from their employees? I guess a law office should hire homeless people with middle school educations off the street to take cases now. It's completely unfair that they make people go through schooling to learn the craft. The NFL and NBA CHOOSE the NCAA to get their players from, just like Law offices CHOOSE law schools. It's the same exact thing. I understand they make money for an organization, and it seems unfair, but that organization is set up to get them their job. Pretty sure(just staying with law here) Law Schools charge you a lot of money for the same thing. An opportunity to succeed.
  18. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60 / 3 / -0
    Truth be told, I am desparately clinging to any resemblance of college basketball before the days of anything but 4 and done so anything that supports that leaning I am in favor, individuals' rights be damned.. :)

And I mean 4 years and done , not 4 months...
    • Like Like x 3
  19. 08gatorbait

Ratings Received:
    +726 / 24 / -13
    Just tossing out. Lebron said UF would have been one of the top choices for him with Ohio State and someone else...so if 4 and done UF has 4 or 5 titles. Lebron would have destroyed everyone by himself
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,164 / 16 / -5
    I still don't get the distinction. If you would only be demolished by Kam Chancellor, then you wouldn't be ready to make a roster (although Kam is capable of demolishing plenty of NFL veterans also). But, there are some grown-ass men coming out of high school from what I can see. There may not be any (except the very rare Clowney) who are strong enough to play DL or OL. But, true freshmen skill players like a Lattimore or even a Kelvin Taylor appear to be about as rugged and "put together" as some of the slender type veteran RBs/WRs in the NFL like a Reche Caldwell.

He didn't play football, but did you see Patric Young coming out of high school? You think Young was less physically able to take an NFL pounding as a true freshman in college than, say, Jacquez Green when he was playing in the NFL?