New NBA commissioner wants 20 year age limit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Feb 7, 2014.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/02/07/could-nbas-age-limit-increase-to-20/

Who knows if this becoming a "priority" makes it any more realistic than it was under Stern, but lets just go with it and assume its possible.

We've talked a lot about issues surrounding entry to the NBA before and I know we're all over the board on this and that lots of people have good points. My question is this, if option 1 meant leaving things exactly as they are and option 2 meant changing the rule to "2 and done," which would you choose?

I'd pick the 2-year rule. I don't like delaying their entry into the NBA at all but, remember, we only have these two options. I guess I'm able to rationalize further delay because of how much it would benefit both the NBA and college basketball. Maybe players who aren't interested in college will be more likely to go overseas. I could live with that and wouldn't blame them. I'm somewhat torn, but I'd go 2 years. How bout you?
  2. HayGator

HayGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Either that or just do away with an age limit. One and done is awful.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +231
    How about age 20, no limit on how long after high school. That way you can hang back a couple of years and leave HS at 20. BTW, is there a limit on how many years you can play HS ball?
  4. blue_darter

blue_darter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    This proposal would be a big improvement over the status quo, but ideally I'd like to see them go to something like they do for NCAA baseball.....either go straight from high school or wait until they've completed their 3rd year of school.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    I like the 20 year age limit personally.
  6. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,963
    Sounds fine, but I don't think it will hold up in court. Kevin Garnett and LeBron James could play NBA ball before they turned 20. Someone will challenge it. The baseball rule simply says "make up your mind."
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    I think a 2 year requirement (or at least a 20-year-old requirement) is the best way to go - of any of the possible options.
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,264
    I'm sure there are also a few exceptions of people that could play in the NFL before they turned 20.
  9. Brodeur

Brodeur Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    The NFL rule has held up in court against multiple challenges, the current NBA rule has stood for several years, why wouldn't this one hold up?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,963
    To me there are two reasons why the NFL gets away with it. The players are so much bigger and stronger than HS players that a serious injury would put the league in a bad position so the owners are completely behind it. The other is like the Maurice Clarett situation. Once he proved to himself that he was NFL worthy, he filed a petition in court. The NFL lawyers kept the case in limbo until he met the standard and so he cancelled the case. The NBA doesn't have that kind of issue hanging over its head and so some group of owners are going to want the ready-made players now and not later.

The current rule is merely an attempt to keep the silly owners from taking HS players before they have had a chance to prove themselves against real competition and signing them to ridiculous contracts. 20 is a nebulous number and I am pretty sure the next great HS player is going to try and get in before he gets to that age, if they change the rule. JMHO
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    An organization has a right to set certain standards for its employees. Our legal system recognizes that. A minimum age isn't egregious, isn't racist, and doesn't prohibit the affected persons from practicing their love, as George W. Bush said about gynecologists.
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,023
    Go straight to the NBA or stay 3 years.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Of course the NBA wants a 20 year age limit. The NFL currently has a 100% free minor league system using the NCAA, and the NBA wants some of that action. There is a reason the requirement for employment keeps going up, not down. This has nothing to do with anything besides money, as does almost all things in sports.

I'm against any type of limitation of someone's ability to use their labor to make money, unless it's some egregious violation of common labor laws.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Two years minimum or 20 years of age is about right ..or longer is my preference. These kids, in general, are not emationally or physically mature enough to handle the jump from hs to the pros. I do not want to pay to see children at the NBA level.

This would also enable the good NBA veterans to have a lengthier career and maybe positively impact the high bankruptcy rate for the youngin's....

The downside of it all? Calipari's OAD philosophy would be mothballed...... :)
  15. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +755
    I'd love to see these gifted freshmen stick around for two years personally, but I doubt it will pass. The players union is going to be against it, but we can hope.

Jeff
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    Drop the age requirement altogether. We've got no business telling 18 year olds they are not allowed gainful employment... and then forcing them into a situation where they are indentured labor to a university for a year. Or two. Or whatever.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    I think this is the way to go but add the caveat that hs players get only 1 guarantee year and/or lower minimum salaries. That would diminish the risk to the teams and give the players something to think about.

I think the other thing that would go hand and hand with that is develop the NBDL. There are kids that have no business in or desire to attend college but aren't quite ready for the NBA either. Let them get all the benefits of the NBA- some money (roughly the equivalent of scholarships) coaching all the time, training staffs, etc while not requiring them to go to classes they're not interested in.
  18. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362

I have alwats seen it this way too. If another league wanted to form that accepted highschoolers there is nothing stopping it other than the fear of failing against their competitor namely, the NBA.

If the NBA wants to compete with the NFL as the new comissioner stated then I can see why this would be one step in that direction. Player recognition, interest and loyalty from the fans between the players start in college. When you watch someone play for your school for three to four years you are more likely to follow them in the NBA. It seems like it may even have a greater impact regarding players from rival schools or other teams around the country. As a kid I could name the top players and even prominent role players from most of the top 25 teams because I watched those guys play for 3 to 4 years. I watched them improve and I watched rivalries establish and grow between various schools. I can hardly name anyone outside of gators now save for a handful of top players from the top teams. Over time this affects the NBA product in my opinion and while the skill level and athleticism of NBA players is arguably at an all time high, there is just something missing today.

I guess in the end its all subjective and personal anectdotes but to me the names Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Olajuwon, Jordan, Bird, Magic just seem to evoke so much more interest and passion than todays superstars.

granted free agency and player movement probably is probably the biggest factor in that but i think collegiate developement and fan recognitino should be looked at
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I like College more than pro I wish everyone stayed 3-4 years honestly but realize that's not fair to the kids anyways. I'm kind of worried how good UK would be forcing kids to stay 2 years....so as a Gator I'll say one year...one and done doesn't hurt us most years so no reason to change it.
  20. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Who's telling them that but a private enterprise. Jobs are aplenty, even in basketball ...if they want to travel..

Indentured servants?....that is a little over the top...easy classes, beautiful campus with beautiful women....basketball everyday............sigh...I can only dream of become that kind of "indentured" :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1