New Foul Rules

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    After two games, I think I can say that the new rules are killing any flow offensively. Teams are packing the paint to prevent dribble penetration and going under screens to avoid hedge fouls (which hurts us since we don't have anyone right now who can step back and hit the three off the high ball screen), while the fouls in the first half today gave us easy points at the expense of any rhythm. About the only time we were efficient in the first half at the offensive end was when Hill got us out in transition.

I understand the need to change the rule and bring it into conformity with the NBA hand check prohibition, but it works far better for the NBA because you have those wide open lanes where you can run your pick and rolls without the congestion. Right now, it seems to me the rule is actually working against the offense rather than in its favor. It is making for longer, slower, less continuous games, and I fear our offense will suffer as a result. We are at our best executing open court or early shot clock ball action and when we run rapid ball screens, and I don't see either happening as frequently now. Maybe Wilbekin and Finney-Smith will help us get a little better spacing for post feeds and pick and roll opportunities.
  2. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +601
    In the second half alone Hill and Frazier each hit 3 jumpers coming off the high ball screen.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    It is good for the game we just need to shoot better
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    I like the rule. It's just going to take teams time to adjust. Once they do, we'll start to get back to FUN basketball. The last dozen years, it's gotten worse and worse, with 52-50 scores becoming the norm rather than the exception.

The rule will also likely benefit teams like the Gators and hurt muggers like Michigan State.
  5. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    I agree. I don't like the rule & thought it looked a bit like the NBA out there. I don't like/don't watch the NBA anymore.
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Rule changes are great especially the block/charge change. We're getting back to fun fast basketball and stopping all of the low talent teams from hacking their way to wins.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Frazier is the only one who hit a three off it, which is more what I had in mind.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    But that's just the thing: I am not sure it will work as well in college as in the NBA. Worse teams will pack the lane and risk fouls rather than playing you out on the perimeter without hand checking.
  9. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +700
    But that's just the thing: skilled teams will shoot you right out of that. Pack the lane at your risk.
  10. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Furthermore, the Casey Prather Offensive Explosion (now on KTel!) is not a coincidence. Guys like him are finding points where they couldn't before because you can't hold / bump/ shove / tackle them any more.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    skilled teams will shoot you right out of that. Pack the lane at your risk.[/QUOTE]
    And we aren't exactly a great shooting team this year, or at least not right now, are we?
  12. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Watching the Oklahoma-Alabama game, these new rules are absolutely terrible.
  13. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +700
    And we aren't exactly a great shooting team this year, or at least not right now, are we?[/QUOTE]

No, we're not. Poor-shooting teams never go far, so that's an area of concern. Slashers will benefit. Brad Beal would have been unstoppable under the new rules. Do not weep for the demise of the UCLA "hedge" defense, nor the Michigan State brute squads. Basketball was originally intended to favor skill over force.

I'm confident we'll improve our perimeter shooting.
  14. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    Players should learn to adjust as the season progresses. It is what is and unless they take a look at it in the off-season we are stuck with the rule.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    I am hopeful that it is just a work in progress with our perimeter shooting. Frazier and Carter don't have their legs under them, Hill is gassed from playing too many minutes, and Wilbekin and Finney-Smith are still out. When we get all five of those guys into the lineup, I am hopefully we will be better, but it might be a bumpy November and December.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    I am hopeful there, too. Again, I see the need for the rule change, but these things always come with unintended consequences.