New depth chart out (Watkins new starting safety)

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 16, 2013.

1. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Well said.
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +649
    Hindsight is great. Who knew JD would miss wide open receivers or would have a simple pass play intercepted. And how do we know our fg would make good on his kicks? Seems to me he missed a pretty easy one vs toledo? And if we play conservative vs uga, usce, and lsu, and sow, and run on third and longs, will fgs be good enough? I'm not sure.
  3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    My problem with Clay Burton is the horrible penalties that I see happen way too often.

I don't expect him to catch passes. That's not his role. What I hope not to see is another drive killing PF like we had against Miami.
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    That's muschamp's plan but he doesn't have the oline or TE to make it work
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Correct. Also, I was giving Jones the benefit of the doubt against Miami since he probably wasn't 100% and didn't exactly end the debate.
  6. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    We are going to run this crappy offense. We just don't have the talent to do much else IMO.

There is very little room for error. Driskel cannot make the mistakes he has been making, we cannot have the penalties we have been having, and we must protect Driskel in the pocket.

Do those three things and we will be in every game we play.
  7. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Agree 100%. I really hated going for that, even before it didn't work. Usually I am all about gambling, but at that time I thought those 3 pts were huge.
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    Got it. Thanks...
  9. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    On Maye not starting, it's a MORTAL sin for a safety to have it thrown over the top, not as big of an issue for a CB, different responsibility most of the time. Been that way for ever! Bet he plays a bunch no matter what. UT's two starting wide receivers are 6'4" and 6'5", going to have to be physical and you can expect to see some FSU type of "throw it up for grabs" to those big boys trying to make big plays.
  10. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,777
    I am probably going to regret posting on this thread, as it has deviated from the OP. But to continue with the "are we or are we not conservative," my take is that we are who Muschamp wants us to be. And that is to put the game in the hands what he is the most comfortable with and that is the defense. It worked last year and he is doing it again this year, or at least he has for two games. If you look at my game posts, I thought that not trying to open up the playbook against Toledo was a mistake. He said in the post-game why and it makes some kind of sense but as I said then, it is better to try, and maybe fall short, in a game that isn't really in doubt instead of waiting for a game where you need to execute. And then Miami came and, well we all know the result. And again, opening up isn't about throwing long more. It is about doing something that breaks your tendencies. If there was something I felt about the Miami game, especially on the 4th down run, was that Miami's D was confident in what we were going to try, or at least not worried about the consequences of guessing wrong. Passing on first down seems to be at least one way to break our tendencies or throwing out of a running formation.

The Driskel whining and trying to use Spurrier's playing Brindise as a justification for playing Murphy is just plain silly. Now if you want to go to the "passing QB/running QB" kind of dynamic then I am ready to listen. One question, who is going to be the passing QB? I wish that the passing game were further along but it just isn't quite there. We are just going to have to wait for the youngsters to grow a little bit. And I know that most of the whining is based on the AJ Green, Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins kind of "why not us?" The only good answer is that those kind of players don't come around very often and they didn't choose UF. We got Percy so yes, we have had ours.

Other than cleaning up some things on offense, especially in the red zone, we are pretty much a finished product and it needs a little more seasoning. That means we need to give it some time.
  11. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Don't regret it. Solid post.
  12. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +649
    Again hindsight is great. We all now wished for a fg. But who knew the play call was qb sneak and the whole world knew it was a sneak. When you had 3 Dl pinching in on the center it was doomed but JD lacks football smarts to call time out or audible out of a play that had zero chance.

It just boils down to this. We don't have a great OL. We don't have a gifted qb. We so far have not shown we're able to march it down the field and score consistently. We have played two below average D and are averaging 20 pts. The only rah rah is TOP which is not an indicator who wins or loses. With our habit of penalties, and not being able to consistently complete mid range passes, and our inability to move the ball and score in the redzone this O will remain a clunker. Our only hope is that the D will keep opposition under ten points in that way if we score 4 fgs we win.
  13. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +528
    Throwing on 3rd and 10 is never conservative, sometimes necessary, but it is universally aggressive.
    Going for 4th down is never conservative.

Both of those decisions are on the coaches. You'd like Driskel to execute better, but if we kick both of those FG's we win the game.

The fumble by driskel the heat got to him pretty much right away.

The game was pretty much a perfect storm of poor coaching decisions in key moments taking points off the board and poor execution in key moments.

The result was that Florida never stood a chance.
  14. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Give it some time? Our coach is in year 3. How much time do you get to show you are a competent complete head coach? More seasoning? What seasoning have we been putting on this offense that leads to a tasty product on the field? The die is cast, Muschamp is stubborn. More of the same from the offense leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,662
    I don't take it as too big of a knock on Maye. Watkins was starting at free safety, then went back to corner when camp opened so the staff could see which safeties were ready to play, but also because we knew Purifoy was going to be out the opening game. Then the injuries to both Watkins and Hargreaves kind of locked it up for Maye.

Now, though, we desperately want to get Hargreaves more snaps and the best way to do that is to move Watkins back to free safety, where he also gives us better ball skills than Maye. Won't be as good in run support, but right now the staff wants to generate turnovers in a major way.
  16. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    how do u put someone on ignore with the app?
  17. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    11 executing their assignments is all we need
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +591
    This is true unfortunately, I have not seen much from jones. Looks average
  19. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    That's about the extent of it.

There is little room for error.

UF is playing its best 11 on offense, and the playcalling is what it is to try and hide and minimize possible talent deficiencies at QB, WR, TE , maybe even OL.
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I kinda like leaving him off ignore, it makes me feel better about myself to know no matter how bad things are for me there is someone whose life is apparently awful.