New commit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by mdfgator, Aug 17, 2014.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    We always recruit very heavily in-state and prefer those kids over out of state kids, all else equal, since Billy develops relationships with them very early and can stay close with them and their coaches/family. Billy has successfully recruited almost every Florida Mr. Basketball since he's been here. Many of the OOS kids Billy recruits are a result of AAU relationships (clean relationships - some of whom are members on this board, unbeknownst to many of the posters here :) ) Here in Florida, Billy has landed several kids from Monteverde ever since Kevin Boyle took the job (including Dickerson most recently). It's worth noting that Billy helped Boyle get that job, and he's the top HS coach in America (previously coached Kyrie Irving and MKG, among others, before getting to Monteverde and coaching Frazier, Hill, etc)

There are a couple young in-state stars Billy is recruiting right now that most OOS coaches have never heard of. Brion Whitley and Blake Morrow out of Sarasota are two such examples (top freshman and soph in the state, out of Sarasota), as was Juwan Durham back when he was a freshman. Interestingly, Teddy trains all of them.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,271
    So you are saying there's a chance lol..

FYI I already knew about Whitley and Morrow...haha but you knew that my bro

4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Oh yeah? Well, I've heard that Billy is recruiting at least one player who only exists in a parallel universe Florida where spiders run the legislature and oceans are orange.
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +471
    Sounds like an improvement.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I think people underestimate the basketball talent Florida. We're the third most populous state and, like California and Texas football is number 1, but there a lot of kids playing well in other sports. How many Florida kids get drafted by MLB, and how well do Florida schools do in NCAA baseball. There's always going to be some ungodly basketball talent in some outlier state, but if we keep the top Florida players at UF, we're good
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    That kid has a whole year of high school left. Wow.
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,375
    Ball State
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +900
    Early in his career, Billy could go out and pull in McD AAs with the best of them. But, if he tried to do that today, he'd never keep up with the blue bloods and the programs that bend the rules. He would never maintain pace with Kentucky grabbing 1-2 McD AAs to their 4-5.

So, he has changed direction and brings in high character guys from the next tier. These are kids who will work hard for 4 years and execute our system. In doing so, Donovan is keeping up with everyone else, including UK. It's very impressive.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,112
    And he would be miserable doing it even if he tried. Look at Sean Miller. The poor guy is packing on the pounds, is a nervous wreck every game, and is under this unbelievable pressure just to make a Final Four. That's not what Donovan wants to be. He has complete control of his program, he has molded it (from the staff to the offices to the roster) into exactly what he wants, he has enough job security that a bad year or two won't kill him, and as a result he as a level of continuity in the program that is unmatched outside of Durham, Syracuse, and East Lansing.
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Uh, yeah. That's my problem too. The pressures of high-level recruiting.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    The only problem I can see is if the minimum time in college changes to two years. Then we lose some of our built in advantages with the three and four year players
  13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,545
    if that happens, I think it may end up hurting the kentuckys just as much when those true and one dones look overseas
  14. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,271
    +1 on Sean Miller...dude looks on the verge of a heart attack every time I watch him coach...sweating profusely and out of shape...
  15. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I like how he uses the rim as a shield. Very underrated move.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +471
    I think that Sean Miller is a fabulous coach that has had some bad luck getting to the Final Four. He has had some really good teams.
  17. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    Billy has the right blend of EEs like Beal (and likely C Walker) and 3-4 year guys. He knows what works
  18. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Very interesting observations, Osiris, Bullis, rserina, Gotham, etc.

What impressed me right off about Billy Donovan was his ability to recruit top Florida talent, like Mr Basketball Brent Wright and Major Parker right off the bat. Prior to him, even Norm Sloan (an excellent recruiter) and certainly Lon Kruger, could only snag Mr Basketball occasionally.

Being a person who well understands what it is to be human (rather than a reptile or arachnid legislator from a parallel universe), he establishes and maintains relationships with other humans, and really emphasizes this with his team (some evidence of this is his son playing deep with him, rather than being a starter elsewhere).

Gotham, I really don't think it is his inherent inability to break the rules and buy recruits that deters the Head Ball Coach from recruiting a lot of Mickey D players. I really think when he lost Miller, Harvey and then Kwame Brown to the NBA very early, given that establishing relationships is so important to him, he decided to move back to kids in the top 40-100 ranking area generally, in order to have them stay around for a while. Note that this theory conflicts with recruiting so many transfers recently, so it may well not be very accurate.
  19. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I think some of the success we've had with transfers is that guys get to where they are going and realize that their coach lied to them (about whatever) and that guy Donovan was straight up with them when he was recruiting them. They then leave and come to UF.
  20. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    I think the number of transfers reinforce the desire Donovan has for players to stick around because it's either stay at UF, go pro (which probably isn't an immediate option for transfers or they would've at least gone overseas already) or transfer a second time (probably to division II to avoid losing a year.) So, stay at UF looks like the best play among dwindling options.