"New Air Force cargo planes fly straight into mothballs"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Oct 7, 2013.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,098
    Most foreign aid is just this, but often it's not "foreign" at all.

i.e., Foreign aid is given to [nation-state] in the form of [military equipment with parts built in 37/50 US states].
  2. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    This can't be true. For more than three decades, the Dems have been telling us how reductions in rate of growth of social programs (SS, Medicare, education, etc.) were evil, drastic "cuts" that would cause old people to eat cat food and children to die. Or, have you now seen the light?

In any event, military, like all fed programs/agencies, is bloated and could use significant reductions in several respects. Just need some smart, honest people to prioritize and strategize.
  3. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,098
    Good luck with that.
  4. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    I know, I know.

Even in absence of "smart, honest people," there is another way to reduce waste, fraud, inefficiency, etc. that has worked in the private sector. Here's the deal: Congress promises a bonus of 10% of savings from each department/agency budget paid to "upper management" of each department/agency. The numbers are so large that 10% could be spread around pretty far, but the real/90% savings would be well worth it - as well as making gov't more efficient. Even a lib/big gov't type might take that offer.
  5. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Or, if nobody steps up to the dirty work, impose an across the board sequester.

America thinks the sequester was stupid, and in reality it is, but it seems to be the only option to get the attention of the Pentagon, White House and various Federal agencies that belts need to be, and will be tightened one way or the other.
  6. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    That's the "genius" of my proposal. Under the adversarial budget process, one side or the other will have arguments why certain cuts should or should not be made. We can remove the political partisanship by providing incentive to the actual people running these programs to cut waste and become more efficient.
  7. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,098
    I see this getting ugly, as reps would be trying to cut funding that affects states other than their own. I can see the campaign slogans now. "Elect me, and I'll send Georgia back to the stone age!"

I'm a full fan of incentivizing humans for behavioral outcomes, nonetheless.
  8. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    States and their citizens would have equal protection clause to provide cover for such nefarious acts. The reps would only have oversight to the extent of ensuring that the agencies/etc fulfill their missions. This takes a lot of blame game out of Congress - something most reps would welcome.
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    At least social programs actually help people. How has our massive defense department helped us any more than the 2 oceans we have that really protect our country?