New 2014 recruit

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GboroGator, Apr 11, 2014.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    From that comment, I assume you never saw Captain America. You can improve size, speed and even quickness, but yes, those 3 are characteristics that must exist in a player before coaching.
  2. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,306
    UW apparently passed on the kid....he is not very good IMO
  3. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Are we looking at anyone else?
  4. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    He also has a stated preference for the PAC 12. He told an Oregon site that he wasn't going to commit to any team until he visited Oregon to see if the Ducks would offer him.
  5. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I read somewhere that Trey Mourning was pointing to a choice among UF, Georgetown or Duke by mid- to late April. Any rumblings on that front?
  6. ugaGator

ugaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I think word was that he would be making a decision in 2-3 weeks and that was a week ago.
  7. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    So stupid. If there's one thing that shows how hypocritical the mantra of "it's all about the student-athletes" is then it's transfer rules. High school with a transfer rule. Who gives a crap? It's just a silly game. If one team wants all of the best players, then so be it.
  8. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Any news from Ndahiro's workout yesterday?
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Don't hold your breath...as Bullis said, this kid is probably not that good. Just cause he's got the body doesn't mean he has the skills to play at UF. IMO it's Trey Mourning or bust, and then we'll be able to sell some premier talent in 2015 on taking over the frontcourt spots vacated by Harris and likely Walker.
  10. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    I think Horford might get the go ahead if Mourning goes elsewhere. Would give another big with 5 fouls to use
  11. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Horford can play. He's no Al, but he can help us.
  12. Bullis33

Ratings Received:
    +1,306
    No on Mourning (Gtown) and possible yes on Horf
  13. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +289
    What have you heard/read? Not doubting you just curious. If this is true then it is a shame that Alonzo pushed his kid to a school that he really didn't offer him until late. I would just let me kid decide for himself personally.
  14. BigIgator25

Ratings Received:
    +142
    This might be the first time I actually have had info on a basketball recruiting situation on the men's side. I was basically told what Bullis was told
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  15. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    I'm surprised Horf wants to come here honestly. Seems like he is leaving Michigan because he won't be getting enough minutes, so I would think he'd want to go to a place where he can be a guaranteed starter. Not sure if that is a guarantee here if Harris gets his shit together. Harris, CWalker, DFS, and Murphy will all play in the front court to some degree. I'd understand why we would want Horford to hedge against Harris not working out, but a little surprised Horf wants to take that risk.
  16. BigIgator25

Ratings Received:
    +142
    Maybe DFS could slide to the 3 next year? That would be his more natural pro position, just like Walkers is more of the 4. Also would give Billy the freedom to play larger lineups having another big.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bullis33

Ratings Received:
    +1,306
    Good stuff....thanks!

18. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Thanks for the information.

Jon Horford would be huge pickup. It would be a win win situation. He'd give UF quality playing depth at the 5 and UF would give Jon a chance to better use and expose his skills than he would have gotten in Michigan's guard oriented style of play. Again, a win win situation.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    All of the players in our rotation next year will get solid minutes. A player like that can come into a situation here that runs an inside-out offense, and he'd be playing with other good post players and guards, which improves floor spacing and gives him a chance to operate without constantly being double teamed like he would if he were the best player on the court at a smaller school. Plus he knows the coaching is top notch, especially for aspiring NBA bigmen, and there's a good chance of cutting down the nets at the end.

Also, there is always a lot of talk about Harris when discussing the future of the frontcourt (transfers, recruiting, etc). Harris is good at what he does. But offense is not, and has never really been, one of those things. He's pretty big, he can play good post defense, he can rebound, but his offensive repertoire is limited. It's not like we've got Garnett or Gasol waiting in the wings.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,137
    DFS could play more three. But it is just as likely we leave Murphy at the three, too. The staff seems to like what he brings as a shot creator for himself and for others. Similar to Prather in that regard, at least in terms of his ability to get to the rim--better passer, safer with the ball, but not as explosive or effective finishing in the paint. I imagine we wouldn't mind playing Walker some at the four. All depends upon his progress in the system, how he defends the pick and roll, how we plays at the front of the press, how he reads the pick and rolls/pops, and how he passes on the perimeter.

At any rate, between DFS, Walker, Horf, and Harris, that is a nice, deep post rotation. They are athletic, versatile, and experienced to mix and match, too. I know the staff prefers a three-man post rotation to going four deep, but with Harris a big question mark still and with DFS able to slide down to the three as needed, having a fifth-year senior who has experience deep playing deep in the NCAAs, a preexisting relationship with the staff, and a great head on our shoulders is hardly a bad thing. I was surprised we were interested, but I guess it makes sense.