Networks provide 3x more coverage for Wendy Davis than Gosnell trial

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Jul 23, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    Talk about advocacy journalism. Wow, just wow.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lauren...y-davis-3-times-coverage-entire-gosnell-trial

Remember the media blackout of the Gosnell trial? Earlier this year, Philadelphia late-term abortionist Kermit Gosnell was convicted of three counts of murder – two of them delivering babies and then killing them in his filthy “house of horrors” clinic. He was also found guilty of more than 230 other felony and misdemeanor charges.

Pundits and journalists excused the media neglect, saying late term abortion was just too uncomfortable, the descriptions of the clinic too lurid, or dismissing it as a “local” issue. That’s not how the broadcast networks have treated the pro-abortion crusade of Texas Democrat Wendy Davis.

Davis, a previously unheard of Texas state senator, staged a filibuster last month in a successful bid to derail a late-term abortion bill. Cheered by rowdy pro-abortion activists, Davis spoke for 11 hours against a bill outlawing abortions after 20 months of pregnancy and mandating that abortion clinics meet the same sanitary and safety standards as any other Texas medical facility.

Davis became an instant celebrity – a comely blonde single mom who stood up for “women’s health” in pink tennis shoes, fighting against “severe” abortion restrictions. Nowhere has her “rock star” status been more apparent than on the broadcast networks.
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,494
    Liberals....
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Pennsylvania does not allow trials to be televised. If the state did allow trials to be televised, the Gosnell trial would have almost certainly received extensive coverage not unlike the Zimmerman trial, the Casey Anthony trial or the Jodi Arias trial.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    And had it been broadcast, it would have been a game changer.
  5. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    there's no way to know, but I think the available outlets would think it "too graphic" to be shown.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912
    ah, yes, the old phony 'media blackout' of Gosnell
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,967
    I will respectfully suggest that potentially changing laws is a bigger news story than someone breaking the laws that are already on the books and being convicted for it...

I'm not entirely sure what you all think more coverage of the Gosnell trial would have shown (other than that the existing laws work I guess?).
  8. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,967
    Also I'll suggest to you that when the filibuster happened, liberals were complaining about the networks not covering it. If you look you'll find a bunch of tweets about how "a woman is making a heroic stand for womens' rights and CNN is running a story about cupcakes rather than talking about it?!"
  9. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    Can't force the media to gin up a story that doesn't intrigue people the same way as some others

Maybe you should boycott them....oh wait
  10. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I'm trying to think of one state-level filibuster that got as much media hype in my lifetime. I'm stumped. The media double standard continues.

Can anyone name one state fillibuster that got as much national attention. I can't think of any over the past 15 years ... at least.

And obviously none of the libbies who responded read the linked article. But so what else is new.
  11. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,967
    I read it. Sorry that I don't find "the media that we refuse to watch in the first place doesn't cover stories that no one other than us cares about" (surprise?) and "over 19 days three networks have devoted a whopping total of 40 minutes of coverage (less than a minute per network per day) to covering politicians doing something that we dislike and even dared to mention the interesting backstory of one of the politicians!" to be a terribly meritorious complaint.
  12. JerseyGator01

Ratings Received:
    +646
    Still no takers on my filibuster question from two posts ago. Big surprise. Like I said, the double standard continues. Gotta go, the queen just had a great grandchild.
  13. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,967
    What other instances of a one person, 11 hour talking filibuster are you aware of to compare the coverage to?