Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Wish the world would see Russia in the same light.

2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    For the most part they do, but at the same time, the number of civilian deaths in Gaza over a much shorter period of time dwarf the worst numbers out of Ukraine. Israel is clearly not worried about killing Palestinian civilians. Evacuations are useless and the IDF knows this. The people have no where to go.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    That is not consistent with the facts on the ground. The IDF has clearly designated humanitarian zones where noncombatants can go if they are allowed to move by Hamas (many, of course, are not allowed to move, and I refuse to fault the IDF for that). I do agree that that the noncombatants should have more options than moving from one dangerous part of Gaza to another slightly less dangerous, but that is up to Egypt. In fact, Egypt could probably bring this whole thing to a close today if it chose to resume responsibility for its people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Egypt actually made it clear that it would not accept Palestinian refugees from Gaza. Giving the Egyptian government the benefit of the doubt they may have had a legitimate concern regarding the potential burden of supporting over a million refugees over the long term and possibly permanently keeping in mind that some of Israeli far right politicians most notably Itamar Ben Gavir Netanyahu's National Security Minister have ambitions of an Israeli resettlement of Gaza.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...s-to-open-its-borders-to-palestinian-refugees

5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Yes, I know. That's my point.

6. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Let me make sure I got ya straight. Invading power tells hundreds of thousands of residents to GTFO of their homes or else. Residents stand their ground. Massive bombing with high civilian death count ensues. Nothing to see here? Is that right?

7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Not what I said at all. I said precisely what I did say. I accurately pointed out that you presented a distorted narrative that noncombatants (not otherwise detained by Hamas) have nowhere to go, because the IDF has given them nowhere to go. They have humanitarian areas provided to them by the IDF if they are willing and able to go there.

If your point is that surely sucks for an innocent noncombatant living in Gaza, then I agree with all of my heart. Makes me rue the actions of the Hamas government all that more. In terms of safeguarding the welfare of one’s people like a good government should, I would say Hamas’ actions on October 7th were unbelievably cruel and stupid. Reminds me a little of being an innocent Berliner (because surely there were some) in April 1945 when the Soviets were closing in. The people suffer the worst when their governments make catastrophic decisions.

But if there’s anything else Israel can do within reason to protect the people of Gaza from what Hamas has wrought on them, then I’m listening. I’ve already pointed out what Egypt could do but repeatedly refuses.

8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just think if Hamas had spent all the money that they spent on digging and building those tunnels or some nice hotel/resorts on their coast which I have read is very pretty. Those people would have jobs and money flowing into the region.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    It reminds me of some of the reading I’ve done on the late Crusades. There were circumstances where some of the Crusader kings could have gotten everything they wanted bloodlessly through negotiations and trade: security for pilgrims, access to markets, etc. Everyone would have gotten rich and lived more happily. Nevertheless, the same kings would choose a war, lose, and end up with nothing but the satisfaction that they fought.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Sounds like a corrupt regime. We should bomb their people into oblivion due to their corrupt leaders’ malfeasance.

11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    That's a course of action, I suppose. Another is that Hamas can turn over its hostages and leadership. The war ends and reconstruction begins at once with maximum happiness for all but those who orchestrated the October 7th attacks. If I was going to protest, then that's what I would protest for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe they should just take out their leadership.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Honestly, one of my biggest concerns during this has been the lack of a surgical campaign. The IDF are just killing anyone who’s in the path. Such a sloppy strategy does not seem to bode well when you are attempting to apprehend or eliminate a small group of men who are not in uniform, wear masking to protect their ID, hide in tunnels and ambulances. Seems like blowing up everything in sight may not be the best strategy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    My nominee for craziest human being on the planet …

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Literally almost everything you said is completely inaccurate but i know that isn’t going to give you pause. Maybe i missed it but don’t remember you posting “ Hamas just came in unannounced, didn’t drop leaflets, didn’t give advance warning. Hamas didn’t even send in aid truck prior to their attack… so sloppy to come in on gliders and motorcycles and just kil everything in their path. soooo sloppy . “ “

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Some people don’t like Israel. If what happened to Israel happened to the US you can damn well guarantee that those posters would be saying keep going until all hostages are released at least.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    The military response should line up with the objective. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable thing to expect. In terms of delivering brute horror to the other side’s civilian population, I’d say Israel was even within the first 48 hours of bombing. It’s now 7 months later. But again, if the goal is to get rid of Hamas, this doesn’t seem like a viable way to accomplish it. The desperate situation among Gazans make it easier for Hamas leaders to train and recruit new fighters. For all we know, there are more Hamas fighters in Gaza today than ever before.

19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If they are trying to end Hamas, why aren't they going after the leaders of Hamas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    The issue is complicated by public opinion in the Arab world, that the Palestinian cause is perceived as a cause for all Arabs, and Hamas is seen as the only group standing up for Palestinian, and Arab, rights. At the same time, Israeli hard liners have been pushing conflict. In March last year, Israel announced a large land grab in the West Bank and after Oct 6, Israeli settlers have killed 460 Palestinians in land conflicts. The Abraham Accord that Jared thought was so successful, was merely a quid pro quo of trade deals for elites in Israel and Arab countries, and Palestine was left unrepresented and their plight ignored.

What's compelling in Gaza and the West bank is that Israel appears to be trying to push Palestinians entirely out of the region, under the guise of war, which Hamas has handed to them. I don't think the IDF is so inept that they failed to create safe zones, I think the objective is to force Jordan and Egypt to take all Palestinian refugees and then prevent their return - and if they don't accept the refugees then Palestine will go through catastrophic suffering. For Jordan and Egypt, accepting Palestinian refugees is a red line and Israel knows this.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1