need to gain 15 pounds in 2 1/2 months

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by PIMking, Jun 10, 2012.

1. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I need to gain about 15 pounds in roughly 2 1/2 months for hockey tryouts. I haven't attempted to put weight back on since I lost the 50 pounds a few years ago.

I simply cant play at the 160-165 range and be effective. What is the simpiest/healthiest way of going about this? I don't need to add fatty 15 lbs I need muscle

I will be able to work out almost every day however I won't be able to hit the gym at the same time every day.

thanks Ian
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    There are only two ways I know of to gain 15 pounds of mostly muscle in ten weeks:

(1) Be a rank beginner.

(2) Be an adult who's just recovered from a tissue-wasting disease.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :wink:

Seriously, I'd say lift hard. You'll gain some muscle even if you're not in calorie surplus. If you eat a lot you'll likely gain a few pounds of muscle and at least an equal amount of fat.
  3. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    eat like a mother****
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    You should patent the 35 Wings A Day Diet. :wink:
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,713
    Eat everything.

Workout heavy.

Wish for the best.
  6. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Gallon
    Of
    Milk
    A
    Day

And "Buy some baby wipes, it's going to get messy" (-Jim Wendler)
  7. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,670
    Drink protein shakes, eat protein bars and lift weights as much as possible. However this will not help with flexibility and agility. I would honestly suggest yoga and Kenpo for the agility and flexibility.

I would even suggest p90x and just make sure you do less reps with more weight
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    How much flexibility and agility do you need ?

Flexibility: simply perform weight-lifting movements which maintain range-of-motion.

Agility: don't need much additional work here and certain weight-lifting movements can and do enhance flexibility.

Also: if you want to gain weight something like P90X is the last thing I'd recommend. Wouldn't recommend it in any case.
  9. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,670
    Have you tried p90x? I did and actually gained weight. I lost fat and turned it into muscle. As I said drink eat and sleep protein. Do less reps with more weight. Eat 4000 calories a day. I guarantee if you do it right, you will have the smallest waist size you ever had and be in the best shape you ever been. When i was done, my core was solid, which i never had. For sports, it was a huge advantage. I still do the workouts regularly and i can't find a better workout elsewhere. If you are concerned about losing weight, then lay off the aerobic exercises.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    No doubt that people get results on P90X but one of the reasons I don't recommend it is because it is simply not time-efficient. It doesn't take several hours of intense exercise a week to accomplish any goal I can think of.

Gaining weight is literally just about the easiest thing anyone can do. All you have to do is consume more calories than you burn off. But you surely don't need to consume 4,000 calories a day unless you engage in prodigious levels of activity. And again, why would that be necessary unless you just feel like you have to scratch the itch, so to speak ?
  11. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,670
    Agreed. I think a lot of it has to do with how disciplined the person is. I will admit when it came to exercising, getting to the gym after or before work was a pain. One thing I liked about p90x is I could get as good if not better workout in my home. I since created a gym in my home and never go to the gym anymore.

If you are disciplined and creative, I am sure you can create a better individual workout. However, for hockey or any sport, I cannot think of a better all around workout.
  12. td21

td21 Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Eat Peanutbutter honey and banana sandwiches every day for lunch and dinner :)
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    And yet no professional or collegiate team in any sport uses it. Like you said p90x can be good for certain individuals and especially those who do not have the knowledge or want to create their own routine. With the amount of practice for their sport using p90x as your training routine would be complete overkill. More likely you will see a lot of compound lifts that compliment the movements of the athletes sport and then lots of practice at the actual sport.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    And I won't even vouch for the programs that professional athletes employ. Men's Fitness featured Albert Pujols routine and it struck me as insanely excessive. It was something like an every-day bodybuilding split, two workouts a day. Stupid.
  15. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,670
    If you do research, many pro athletes have admitted to using p90x in the offseason including hockey players. Ie Max Talbot. Jamal Mashburn has noted he used p90x in making his comeback to the NBA. Brett Favre admitted to using it.

Everyone would laugh if Jeff Dillman put the players in a room and pushed play to p90x. Most of us don't have thousands or millions to spend on a personal trainer. College and professional teams do. I am guessing the OP does not have the money either. Nonetheless professional athletes use it. If not I am sure they have professional trainers that use some or most of its exercises.

I wouldn't be surprised if many college and professional athletes use it whether it is admitted or not.

If I was a strength and conditioning coach and had freshman not yet on campus, I would advise them to do it until they got on campus and I could get them in the gym. I wouldn't be surprised if incoming freshman used it.

Granted. I admit you cannot used it in most of the workouts for a professional or collegiate athlete, but I think it is good to maintain fitness in the offseason.
  16. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I have gained a few pounds, I've been working out with some good sessions of stretching to keep the flexibility. When I played UMHL and some juniors I started at 175 and ended at 190 playing weight. I would like to be around 180ish so I don't get pushed around.