Need Scotch Recommendation

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by LostReptile, Nov 5, 2013.

1. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I'm buying a bottle of scotch for a client--I know nothing about it. Can someone recommend a good brand for less than $100 for a bottle?
  2. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,849
    I will give you my pathetic answer. Single malt scotch is all over the place in cost and taste. What I find interesting may be nothing good for someone else. I would just ask the store manager what is their best seller and hope you have an honest one.

The last one I got was a 25th anniversary present to ourselves and it reminded me of a slightly smokey, 80-proof cognac. It also cost twice as much as cognac and so I will be drinking that instead.

Good luck.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,327
    This is for true.

If the client is really into scotch, maybe he has mentioned a region (Islay or Highlands) or brand he prefers?

If the client likes smokey intense scotch, you need to go with Lagavulin or Laphroig (both Islay scotches heavily influenced by peat and salt air). These aren't for most newbies though.

If he is relatively new to the scotch world maybe a Balvenie... tend to be fairly light and sweet (as Scotch goes). Very nice, smooth scotch.
  4. warhorsegator

warhorsegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    I do single malt tastings for various charitable groups in Atlanta. When asked this question, I provide several suggestions from Speyside malts that are more gentle and have little peat. You can never go wrong with Macallan but it is overpriced despite being perhaps the best-run whisky company. 12 YO runs in 40s and various ages up to astronomical price for 25 YO. Look for some of the Macallans within your price range.

Highland Park is another winner, almost always ranks in top five or ten each year. The 18 YO is a bottle I often give to pay for a favor, but the 12 or 15 is fine as a gift.

If the individual has a developed taste, than Islay malts are the prize, but beware of peat -- not for all. A basic whisky I use in tastings is the Talisker 10 YO, that runs in the low $50; it was actually the whisky of James Bond in the original Ian Fleming novel. Less peat.

For a more experienced drinker try the Islay malts. One unique version for a gift would be the Bruichladdich golf course versions. Each year they put out a bottle based on a famous course across the globe. I have given this to golfers on several occasions, even though I am not generally a Bruichladdich drinker.

Nothing wrong with a good blended whisky. Johnny Walker Black is reasonable and will be appreciated. The JW Green may be the best buy on the market, and is going off the market next year, even though it a superb vatted malt.

My personal choices to stay away from: Dewar's which I consider the McDonalds of blended whisky :no: and Glenfiddich, the single malt that created the craze but whose younger aged versions are mediocre. More than you wanted but JMHO
  5. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    J Walker Black is a good buy
  6. 1993R

1993R Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Here are some decent single malts for under $100
    Oban 14
    The Balvenie Caribbean cask
    Old Pulteney
    There are a few more but I'm at work.

I prefer the Murray McDavid line but it's hard to come by
  7. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    aberlour a'bunadh (cask strength) is a nice addition to a connoisseur's collection. Warning, at 120 proof, it's best drunk neat and slowly.
  8. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    I'm a bourbon drinker myself, so I don't always drink scotch, but when I do I prefer Islay malts. Laphroaig is my favorite, but if you're not used to it it'll taste like your sucking an old band-aid with iodine and ointment on it. :) That is, unless, of course, you get the Laphroaig 30 which is AMAZING, but well over $100/bottle. Lagavulin 16 is a safe and economical choice (and a very classy looking bottle, to boot).
  9. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    IMO, you can't go wrong with anything Balvenie, Glenlivet, Macallan, Lagavulin, or Bunnahabhain
  10. mogator

mogator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I concur. The 12 yr. is as smooth as most 15's. the 18 is smooooooth. Love it.
  11. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    It depends hos much of a scotch connoisseur he is. You can ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred different opinions. Scotch is an acquired taste. Take the effort to infiltrate his tight acquaintances and find out his preferences.