Need help picking a new phone for my birthday

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by icequeen, Aug 15, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +939
    Haven't heard about over heating issues with the One. Weird.

If you're having camera issues with any android phone you can always install a paid camera app. Sometimes it really helps.
  2. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    OBOB, do you have this phone? It gets pretty good reviews from what I've read. Do you know when the Nexus 5 comes out to see if there are many changes?

This review on the Nexus 4 was done last year Nov.2, 2012.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review/
  3. wileegator

wileegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +9

I realize these things generally are just a matter of opinion/preference, but in what way was the Windows Phone OS "lackluster". I find it very intuitive, the live tiles are very useful, and the Lumia line has great design, with top of the mark camera tech for a smart phone. The displays are pretty universally praised for their bright light visibility.

Might want to check the Lumia 925 again just to placate me! :yes:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,519
    I might. I actually had the Lumia at the top of my list before I went to the store. It was very black/grey on the screen. Moving around the tiles they had it just wasn't very bright. I asked the rep if it was on max and he said yes. It was next to the Sony at that particular store and it wasn't as bright.

I took photos with all the phones I tried at the store - still and having my son move around - and the detailing was not what I expected. My son was also a blur, where other phones were at least able to pick up on his face. Again, this might have been the settings on it.

To be honest, the one I wanted was the newer Lumia but that's an AT&T exclusive phone. But considering the heating issues I will re-add the Lumia into the mix. Maybe it was the settings - but it really was just "lackluster" at that particular store.
  5. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,519
    It's gotten good reviews, but when I was shopping for the phones originally I was going to all these sites where the camera wasn't anywhere as strong as the other ones I had on my list and that was one of the main points for me - I need a really good camera phone because of picture texts to my parents.
  6. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,386
    I'm really enjoying the S4 and I like the camera. We're still an Apple family, but I am staying away until they make a larger screen phone.

As a Internet/social media device, the S4 is awesome.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    did you try out the camera in the shower?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,571
    Lol... yes because inquiring minds what to know. :grin:
  9. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    [​IMG]
  10. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,519
    Nope, sorry! :laugh: Apparently you can - there's videos of folks swimming with the thing, but then others say the water leaks in if the ports aren't perfectly closed and then having Sony say they don't cover water damage :no: :laugh: Considering I had started having issues I didn't want to run the risk of damaging it and then not being able to exchange it.

Got the S4 last night after talking to the guy. He was far more helpful and he pulled out his HTC one and showed me the low light pics he got, which by his own admission "suck compared to the S4 ones". He likes the One mostly because of the Beats audio (which I have no use for). I left the Jump option on there because I'm pretty sure come Spring I'm going to want either the LG G2 (allegedly wicked camera) or the Note 3 (which will be a souped-up S4). Either way, it'll be cheaper to have Jump added and then trade out of the phone in six months than to get another one - I go through a phone about each year, give or take.

Will let you guys know how it goes :) Thanks again
  11. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,519
    I went back and looked at it side by side with the S4 at this store, and had my husband hold one while I held the other and we snapped pictures of my son running around. Not much difference there (slightly better on S4) so I went with the S4 just because of all my calendar apps, etc that are Android based. If Tmobile ever gets the 1020 then I might revisit the issue, but for now I'll stick to the S4.
  12. wileegator

wileegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Can't go wrong with the S4 and admittedly I like to swim upstream against the big two. Feel like we need at least a third option for OS's to keep everyone motivated to improve the product. Surprised about the pictures, as pretty well every online review has the newer lumias with better low light performance than the rest. I am also finding the integration with desktop Windows is actually really well done, but Microsoft seems to have no clue how to make this clear to people. They certainly have not had any success training T-mobile, as their in store folks are entirely useless at pointing out the features of their Windows phones. Hope it works out.
  13. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +939
    If you're talking about getting the Note 3 later, why didn't you wait a few days? It will be officially announced on September 4th and on sale by the end of the month.