Need car enthusiast/mechanic help

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Chompsuey, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    I've been contemplating buying a 67-72 C10 truck to build. I am completely lost when it comes to engine work but I think it would be fun building the truck from scratch. I want to buy just a straight body truck with AC (Texas heat) and I'm curious if it matters if it runs or not or what motor is in it. I prefer to go with a newer engine e.g 5.7, 6.0, or 6.2. Any recommendations on best motor to get? I do want it to be suped up via supercharger or turbo. I would like to keep all costs building it under 30k if possible. Can anyone offer and recommendations?
  2. DarthG8RV3

DarthG8RV3 Twisted and Evil Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,239
    Are you going to use this as a daily driver ? Everything depends on how you plan to use the truck .
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,334

Sounds like a fun project. I've actually raced a '67 Chevy Malibu in street class at Gator Nationals once, and came in third over all (but admittedly, there weren't a whole lot of street class cars there that year). I pulled some low 13's and a high 12 once.

Trucks are a funny thing to race though. You can put a lot of power in them but you have to make sure to counter-weight the rear end to keep it from jumping.

Go with a newer engine IMO. Older ones you just don't know what they've been through, if they've been repeatedly over-heated, etc.

If you're going with a supercharger, I'd keep your piston compression ratio down to no more than 9:1, but 8:1, or even 7:1 if you're going to use a blower.

But that's really powerful draggin stuff. You'll have to also make sure that you can get an A/C compressor unit that can stand high rpm's when you want to drag too.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    Let me see if I'm understanding, you want a older classic with a newer power train?

The LS based motors are the best way to go in my opinion. You can get them at most salvage yards with low miles and they are dependable and you can get the motor, trans, harness and computer with them. I would go with a 5.3 or 6.0 L out of a larger GM vehicle. There are companies that specialize in these kind of conversions and make them a basic plug in and drive conversion. You mentioned that you would like to have forced induction as well, and these motors are good with boost, you could take one and change the internal parts(crank,pistons,rods.) and give it as much boost as you want.

I am doing a swap like this in my 85 monte carlo SS. If you wanted a look as some of these swaps you can look at LS1tech.com

Hope I was a help
  5. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    It won't be my daily driver. Just something to play with.
  6. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    I'd go through Summit and buy a 350 ZZ4 turn key Crate Motor fully built they are about $5,000
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    You could go see that Gas Monkey dude on TV, I think he is in Texas. Tell him you want it orange & blue with custom Gator skin upholstry and we could all watch the episode and say, there goes Chompsuey's truck.
  8. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    I am leaning towards the ford blue or Volkswagen blue.
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,913
    I would build a custom nat gas powered fifth wheel dually and rent it out to haul big money horses to shows and get a energy sponsor. There is a ton of money headed to Texas mineral rights owners
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    The 350 is a great motor that Chevy put in trucks for many years. They went from carbs to elec ignition in 1990 I think or close to that time but other than that they didnt change much for years. Maybe the best ever along with the Dodge slant 6 and the Ford 289 & 302. Unless you want a dragster like some of the ss models they put out go with the 350. Youy can make it as smooth or as fast as you like. It also will get 17 mpg average and thats not bad in a truck.
  11. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    I agree with looking at Summit. Also Jeg's and JC Whitney for more stuff you may use.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    That really is a good idea. For starters the county I live in is supposedly the cutting horse capital of the world. To top that off I work in the oilfield. That's a win win.
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,913
    Westport is building some high torque natural gas motors for big rigs. Visit their website and I am sure there is one that would match the demand.
    • Like Like x 1