1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

NCAA Women's Lacrosse bracket

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GatorRN, May 5, 2013.

1. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Mapagator, Phidelt,

Couldn't agree more. I wear my Gator gear at the US Lacrosse convention and get strange looks and an occasional snicker or comment like, I didn't know you guys played lacrosse. Last year I got some snide comments about how poor Florida was.

On the womens side, an aggravating factor is the unwillingness to let anything into "their" game that even hints of the mens game. UF's run and gun style carries a strong appeal to players and is perfect to take advantage of typical southern abilities. Hard to argue that the south produces the best athletes. The stall is the only way to counter the obvious physical advantage. I don't blame the coaches for using the stall, I blame the administrators for burying their heads in the sand and stunting the sport's growth.

Bottom line: They are scared. They see the train coming and are doing everything they can to stop it. They can slow it down, but, sooner or later, it will flatten them. As more and more southern schools pick up the game, the balance of power will shift. I don't think it will ever totally go away from the Northeast, but the south will continue to make inroads. Imagine if more football coaches turned their guys onto lax as "the" off-season activity. With the speed, quickness and attitude football players bring to the game, it would be something to see.
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    on the other hand, they should take advantage: be the ones to promote the sport more down here in the south. be the one's to take the game to U of Bama and LSU, etc etc. become like Amanda was for UF.
  3. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Barring a comeback of epic proportions, UF will face Denver Sunday at 1pm. 13-4 Denver with 6 minutes left. Doubt that Denver will try to play up tempo vs UF. Hope so, but doubt it.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +835
    Well Denver just rolled the mens tennis team out of the NCAAs in a huge upset, no way that can happen twice right?
  5. mapagator

mapagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    SKZ -
    In HS that's exactly what we are seeing - FB players playing LAX in the off season. We joke that it is more FB with sticks than LAX, but many who aren't big enough to stay with larger school FB programs are staying with LAX.

You are right about the men's & lady's games being very different - almost 2 seperate sports. The stall works well to stop a team like UF but it depends on winning the faceoffs and controlling the ball. In the men's game, if someone tried that we would call a delay of game penalty and get the ball going the other way.

There are a lot of club teams in the South (UF, UGA, GT, Auburn to name a few.) I hope to see more schools go NCAA - but they will have to deal with Title 9.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,984
    I don't know LAX rules... why is it okay to stall/delay in the ladies' game but not the men's?
  7. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Men recently instituted a shot clock that is kept on the field. Why? The game was slowing down. Defenders are getting bigger, faster and stronger as more top notch athletes pick up the game. You can score in a flash (2-3 seconds off the draw) or play the perimeter slow down game. The administrators rightly concluded that up tempo lacrosse is more appealing and put in the shot clock.

Watch a men's playoff game in the next three weeks and tell me that isn't sooo much more exciting than the paint dry, grass grow slow down that will inevitably find UF. It's gotta frustrate the players and coaches. I think if truth be told the opponents would rather run than stall, but until the rules change it is what it is. Think back to the Pre shot clock era in basketball. Wasn't that four corners a thing of beauty? NOT!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,984
    Figured it was something like that. Thanks.
  9. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    Both boys and girls youth lacrosse is huge in this state right now and we play it year round. These kids are being coached by people who played the sport in college and eventually made their way down I 95 and I 75 to Florida, like everybody else. won't be long before Florida athletes start scooping up scholarships all over the country for the sport and the Northeast is not going to be happy about it but that's never stopped us before. Currently, the UF girls team only has one scholarship player from this state, the coach has been cherry picking the best girls from the Northeast and bringing them down to the sunshine State. When we can fill our roster with kids from Florida we will be even more dominant.
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,984
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    My grandson is in his first year at Tallahassee Leon and practices and plays with both the JV and varsity teams there. He was playing in youth leagues earlier, and my daughter and son-in-law had to chofer him all over north Florida in order to find games. That is certainly changing.
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
  13. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    The PAC schools lost softball, The North, and West schools lost football, Basketball is there now just need LAX and Hockey and they're toast.
  14. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    LAX is more like hockey than football
  15. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    PIM,
    Agree, the game itself resembles hockey more than football, but football players have tremendous success playing lacrosse. Like hockey players they are not afraid of contact, have advanced field vision and understand spacing and timing. The biggest difference I've seen with the boys I've coached is that most, not all, football players are faster than hockey players. Speed in the open field is one thing that separates very good from elite midfielders and most football players can run away from their defenders.

I've seen basketball players and soccer players excel at lacrosse. Again, generalizing here, but they have to get over the fear of contact. Not so with hockey and football players. Basketball and soccer skills that translate well are spacing, moving without the ball and timing.

The two things that hockey and lax have in common that the other sports don't is the ability to launch a hard rubber object at your opponents goal (and sometimes your opponent) at blinding speed, and the ability to hit your opponent with a stick. You can't play hockey or lax scared. The ball or puck will find you.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Well, Syracuse is up next.
    All I can say is the girls better check their nettings in the final minutes. (Not that it will really stop the refs)
  17. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,720
    Yeah, that scumbag shoved the ball into the net for a good 15 seconds until she got enough mustard on it to pretend it fell below the line.
  18. JAWS

JAWS Chatroom Hitman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    Yep, Syracuse stole that game last year and I'm ready for some payback. It's just a shame we have to overcome the opponent as well as the officials.
  19. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +482
    I would be very worried about this game given what we have seen recently.

Similar scenario - you are playing a team you beat pretty good during the regular season.

And now you are going on the road with hometown referees.

This is certainly a game they should win but if they don't go up there with the right attitude and frame of mind, it is certainly a game they will lose just like the NW game.