NCAA Tennis vs Stanford

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by kkg8r, May 20, 2013.

1. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    It was what it was last night.

They had a very good run the last several years and nothing last night does anything to dampened what happened this season and nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. If you put everything into to it and it does not happen then it just was not meant to be.

If you are analyzing what the issues are for this season it would seem to me you have two main themes in my mind.

1. Whatever combos that were put out there during the season in order to win the doubles point was not consistently working this season. Only the coaches would know the detailed technical issues since they are their all the time - but if you consistently losing the double point during the regular season at some point one would think if you get to this point in the season that could very well become an issue that no team could overcome especially in tight matches.

2. It would appear to me there is no dominant singles player on this roster during this NCAA run the last 2-3 years. And before people jump on me before saying look at Embree's career - just hear me out for a second. I think we can categorize Embree as a brick wall type of player meaning her game is to just hit the ball back and just wear down your opponent in the end thus she is not capable of ending points quickly during rally's on a consistent basis - and granted she is very, very good at doing what she does and is probably the best college tennis ever to do that.

But - again I would say there is no body on the roster one would probably classify as a power tennis player like what UF had in Raymond or Craybas. If you note that even with the success the last 2-3 years of this team - that no body on this roster has won the individual NCAA title which again says there is no power type player on this roster that can get thru points quickly and just mo down opponents. Now granted there is extreme difficulty in recruiting any player like that because that type of player is going pro immediately instead of going to college so the chances of every having a player like that on any roster is probaby low and it says alot of the team as a whole ability to win the whole thing the last few years without having anybody on the roster who has won the individual NCAA title or the NCAA double title when the team event stuff is done which if you just reflect upon that should tell you what a remarkable job the players have done to won the whole thing the last two years in the first place.

In baseball terms I would say look at the Braves starting pitching rotation staff in the 90s - they had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, and Maddux. Your finesse guys were Glavine and Maddux, power guy was Smoltz, and the between guy was Avery. You had alot of different type of pitchers on the staff that complimented each other well. From a total team standpoint the women's team is obviously very good but if you are analyzing the roster individually now and into the future that somehow a certain type of player (if it is out there) needs to be recruited to make it easier for them once they get to this point in the tourney. But again finding that type of power/dominant player is something that is hard to find because just like baseball - high profile recruits go pro instead of college.

Now for Alex and what she did last night. Unless you are the coach, trainer there, or Alex herself then I am not qualified to be critical of anything that happened last night. I'm sure she is devestated by what happened just like any UF athlete in any sport that might be put into any similar situations. If you are playing an event like this for which you know you are playing a ton of matches within a small time frame then there is an obvious need to be extremely hydrated coming into a week like this. Hydration process obviously begins one week before you start this thing up again. I see it at high school football games for which these kids decide on Wednesday or Thursday before the Friday night game to hydrate and you tell them you can't do that. Hydration process begins the day after the game ends or a week before. But again I would assume we have the trainers with these girls all the time in order to make sure they are properly prepared.

Different people react differently to pressure. And some can handle it and push thru in the end and sometimes it just does not happen for person on that given night. It's sports, it happens to the best of them.

I do agree that in general whether it is college or professional women's tennis that it would appear to me that the concept of players just losing big leads does happen more often in the women's game. Guys tend not to fall into that type of trap meaning that once they get that big lead that they tend to finish it off more often than not. I can't explain it - guys have a better tendency to step on the throat of somebody once they got them down and out.

Again it happens - very good season for them, maybe a few of them do well in the individual/doubles events this week and hopefully they can bring in players to continue the winning ways in the future.
  2. AdamGator

AdamGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I think Brianna Morgan has the potential to be that type of power player in the future. I watched her some over the last couple days, and she can really play. She moves the ball around the court really well, and with power. I could see her playing #1 next year, or at least #2.
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Agree with this, especially considering how quickly she improved even from fall to spring.....just has to fine tune the consistency in her game and refine some things.Talent is there.

Allie Will was more of the power type player and was the perfect complement to Embree. UF probably wins it all if she doesn't turn pro (Stanford probably says the same thing regarding Mallory Burdette though).
    Allie Kiick would have given UF the perfect fit for that #1 player that Bear is talking about. But as he said, tough to get those types to come in and not turn pro. As the roster stands now UF will likely struggle against elite teams at the top of the ladder next year. They almost have to find another player for the roster, can't go into the year with 6, just look at our team 4 years ago or Duke this year. I would imagine they are scrambling to replace Kiick, perhaps with an international player.
    The back 3-4 slots should be comparable to this season...which gives you a chance in evey match. Just gives no margin for error against the great teams, like Cal who has 3 elite players.
  4. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,663
    As I expected, the UF-Stanford matchup was the NC match.
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    I think that discounts TAMU quite a bit. They actually played as good, probably better match vs Stanford than UF did.
    Doubles was definitely closer, and the matches on courts 1 and 2 were pushed to 3 sets, while UF's top 2 players were pretty much crushed.
    And of TAMU's 3 singles wins, only one was pushed.
    Add in that TAMU and UF split during the regular season and they definitely earned their spot in the elite group.

Just a great tourney. Both semis and the final were 4-3 finishes, and all but one of the quarters could have gone either way. UGA didn't score win a lot of matches vs Stanford, but they were up or competitive in the remaing matches when it ended. UCLA, UNC, and USC could all win it on any given day as well....proved by their results vs Stanford thru the season.
  6. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,663
    We're better than A&M. We proved that over the course of an entire SEC season and the SEC tourney. They nipped us 4-3 at their place and we beat them handily 4-1 om neutral court in the tourney.

Stanford was the only team that could beat us this year and they just barely did.

But I agree with you that it was a great tourney. maybe the most competitive start to finish, top to bottom, overall that I can remember.
  7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    We proved we were better than Stanford during the season too....as did a lot of other teams. With the late struggling from Embree and Oyen I don't think we beat TAMU if they play today.
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,663
    Hardly. We were fortunate to play them at home, where you know that it's much easier to win. On a neutral court, they are better - as they proved.

And of course we would beat A&M if we played now. We just beat them in the SEC tourney, in the next-to-last match before the NCAAs, quite easily 4-1, on a neutral court.
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Yes, we won in SEC's....but TAMU was playing well in the remaining matches and likely to win those based on the way they were playing out. We also got singles wins from Embree and Oyen....who clearly are not playing at the level right now that they were a month ago when that match was played. On almost that same date Stanford lost their last match of the season to Cal, that clearly didn't translate to "of course Cal would beat Stanford".
    No one can say definitively one way or the other (except you I guess, since you threw in the "of course we would beat them"), but tennis is a very mental game and not much seperates these elite teams. Embree is the top player in the nation but is off a little and loses 6-0 6-1....that's all it takes.
  10. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    Hey, you guys that are knowledgeable about the program .... have you heard anything
    about getting another player for next year? I'm really nervous about trying to play the whole year with only six players. I'm a worry wart ... I'd like to have TWO more girls.
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    UF has a top ten national recuit coming in...Courtney Keegan. My guess would be she factors somewhere in the middle of the lineup. They had a pure #1 type player in Allie Kiick, but she has decided to turn pro.
    I am assuming they will add one more player. I have heard a couple of international names, and there are some unsigned US players but I think they are leaning toward the pros.
    Really need Danielle Collins to get back to the way she played in the fall. The roster as it stands now would be very vulnerable at the top but remains strong at 3-6. Who knows on doubles at this point.
  12. JAWS

JAWS Chatroom Hitman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I miss those days when we dominated the doubles point. It sure did make winning a bit easier.
  13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Danielle Collins has transferred to Virginia, and UF has 2 players from Australia coming in. Not much on them....supposed to be athletic and one has decent credentials so no clue where they fit on the ladder.
    The top player in the country along with Kiick was Chalena Scholl from Pompano Beach. Most thought she would turn pro, but has decided to attend Duke. UF is really going to struggle at the top of the lineup vs the elite teams as things stand now.
  14. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Not so sure about that. Brianna Morgan has been tearing it up on the pro circuit this summer. She has wins over former NCAA #1 Irina Falconi and the #1 incoming recruit (Scholl) among others. I'd guess she's a top 5 college player on current form.

Our other incoming freshman Keegan is also in good form, winning a college summer circuit title at Alabama with a win over Alabama's returning #1 player Macfarlane in the semis.

Loss of Kiick is tough, but I think the team still is about as strong as this past season and could be in the title conversation along with the usual suspects: the 4 Cali schools, Duke and UNC.

I'm guessing the lineup will be:
    1) Morgan
    2) Oyen
    3) Cercone
    4) Keegan
    5) Janowicz
    6) Woolcock
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Yeah, I think Morgan takes a big leap but I think she is more likely at 2 behind Oyen.
    Not a fan of Cercone at 3, shes a great 4-5 in my book....but I think you probably have the lineup nailed down pretty close.
    Collins had a great fall at UF before falling off the map in the spring, sounds like she wasn't the "team" player that UF looks for. Here Keegan is a better fit and hope she can play as high as #3.
    The aussies may really benefit the doubles mix, something UF struggled with all season.