NCAA Individual Singles

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by apkgator, May 22, 2013.

1. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Bad day so far...
    Piro represented the men and lost 6-0 6-0 to the #17 overall seed

Oyen lost 6-3 6-4, she was the 7 seed and lost to the 44 seed

Embree is playing now as the #1 seed. Lost her first set 6-3, and is down 3-2 in the second.

Cercone starts shortly
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Rain delay, Embree facing a game point to go down 2-4
  3. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    Lauren, Sofie and Alex all lost.

I'm not looking for excuses here, but our girls played all the way to the semifinals
    and they are playing against girls whose teams did not advance far or teams that weren't
    there. Is this a disadvantage? I'm sure that people play thru it .... last year's champ was
    a Stanford girl and I'm sure she had a few team matches. I'm just curious about the tournament format.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    That is a factor, but I think the mental letdown is greater than the physical issues.

I'm not sure if Embree is healthy either. To get absolutley waxed in back to back matches, one against an inferior opponent is very unusual for a player like her.
  5. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Yeah Apk I've been wondering about Embree's health. Not much comment about how she lost 6-0, 6-1 to Gibbes after the absolute war they had in Gainesville that ended in a draw late in the third when Florida won the overall match. Every point of that first meeting between the two girls was highly contested.

And Allan, that is surely a legitimate concern. I believe Lisa Raymond won back to back individual titles with Florida winning the team title or going deep. Last year two Stanford girls played in the singles final and the doubles final while Stanford went deep in the team tourney. So it can be done but fatigue would have to play a role.