NCAA football posts largest attendance drop in 34 years

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RealGatorFan, Feb 13, 2018 at 2:01 PM.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +34,528
    Prices are up... no beer, for those that drink it. And 4K TVs are cheap...
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,015
    Was thinking the same thing myself. Nick Saban and Bama are the worst thing to ever happen to college football.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +795
    Agree with everything you say, but for now I still pay the money for season tix and hotels and make the long drive for most games. I still love being there. But, it is certainly not the same atmosphere as it used to be.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax All SEC

Ratings Received:
    +2,273
    Add to all that, I'm an old guy that really resents the whole strip search routine before going into these sporting events. For me, the nail in the coffin.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,957
    +1

Old guy talk by me - it's definitely different now, for a multitude of reasons. In the 90's the Swamp was pure electric, toughest snake pit in all of college football. Would not miss a home game for anything....now, meh..
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:59 PM
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,350
    Thanks @RealGatorFan, for posting these most interesting trends and statistics. When many read this, they are compelled to rationalize their own attendance preferences and habits. Likewise, some tend to isolate the trend to UF. This is not, however, about you, him, or her and it's not just about UF. It's merely a society/sports fan development.
    On UF, I imagine a better football product will have a positive impact. I don't expect the nationwide trend, however, to reverse itself any time soon.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,005
    I could rate every post in here a winner.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,005
    This is an incredibly misleading stat. The University of Missouri was not in the SEC conference at the beginning of the attendance period and averaged 53,000 fans per game this year.
  9. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +454

I’ll throw in another... people can’t control their alcohol intake at games and they want to be Billy Badass... I’m not anti drinking (I love beer) but even I can tell that it’s getting outta hand.
  10. grant1

grant1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    I’ve been a ticket holder for 33 years, but will become one of the stats next year. It’s become more of a time issue than cost, it just takes too much time. It’s a 12 hour day minimum and sometimes not getting home until after 1 am. Will enjoy more fishing next fall and set up dvr .
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,809
    This is a pretty good start of the "symptoms". Let me expound.

There are two powers in play here - a battle of the titans! - which are the fans of sports and the technology of today. The former is self explanatory, especially on a forum such as this. The latter is best described as "disruptive technology." What that means is that a new system is developed which makes an old system functionally obsolete. Think 1900 and buggy whips or 1995 and encyclopedias. Once the new technology becomes commonplace (cars and the world wide web) the old systems either go away or they become MUCH less valuable. The law of supply and demand rules....completely.

Right now, TV rules sports, even though the live experience is still better. But throw in the cost of transportation, hotels, tickets, food, legal drinking and the weather, the TV experience becomes much better overall. And for this forum, we still haven't experienced the TRUE critical mass: Thursday night games to meet TV deal demands. Once that kicks in, we will see a BIG drop in total attendance. That is what the law of disruptive technology tells us.

Simply, it IS what it is going to be.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 10:21 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,781
    Dang, what a bunch of sour pusses in this thread. Yea, Games cost more, we all have bigger tvs and other things to do, but if ur team is winning its still a great game day experience. BTW, don't think I've ever spent $1000 on a football weekend in gville. Of course, I'm only 4.5- 5 hrs away.
  13. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Y’all hit the nail on the head about hotel prices being ridiculous...I just booked one night this weekend at the Country Inn off 75 and Archer for 285!! Crazy....but also, I wonder if the free for all secondary ticket sale market is hurting attendance too...the average middle class family of 4 is not going to pay 3x face value to go see Vandy....or even a better game for that matter....if they (government) would put a limit on how much above face you can resell for, I think attendance would go up..it surely can’t hurt
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,005
    Tickets for 4 to game and food/beverage in game
    Hotel Room for two nights
    Florida Turnpike Tolls
    Gas and mileage on car
    Food
    Souvenirs
    5 hours in car each way
    1 hour of packing family

VS

High Def TV at home

Go to one game per year now
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,319
    I guess I'm an outlier. My son an I both live near Orlando and can drive to gainesville in a little over two hours. I can generally pick up tickets on Stub Hub for under $100 (some games are more) and an early dinner a a local restaurant is about $30-$40 for both of us. So with half a tank of gas thrown in the game costs us about $125 apiece. I can't do that every week but we can make two or three games a season. I do notice the student section being more empty these days. As far as allowing alcohol, I don't miss the obnoxious drunks and their husbands.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,809
    Good for you! It is just that when you look at the totality of UF sports fans, the number on your side of the ledger is getting lesser than the other side. As I said, it is what it is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +33,513
    I stay at the coast use rewards points for the room...drive over for the game and can go a full week on a $1000.
    The key is to not stay in Gainesville on a game weekend.

I just made a 4 day trip down...wife and 3 kids...including a day/night in Savannah...Hoops game (5 tickets) and 2 nights on the ocean...and we didn't spend $1000. We didn't stay in the Ritz or eat Ruths Chris, but we had nice rooms and ate fine.

I understand where some an drop that much, but you certainly don't have to.

I think 4K TV's that are cheaper than one weekend are the key.
  18. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,011
    Not sure if everyone mentioning price has anything to do with my comment. Someone said having season tix is the way to do it - totally not the case. My lowly "Orange and Blue" donation level tix include per seat donations of like $350 or so per seat now. 2 season tickets is a commitment of a few thousand bucks minimum. Much cheaper to pick up tickets for a few games.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,834
    I won’t deny that I could save money by staying outside Gainesville, but that impacts how much fun you can have when you’re there. I don’t want to be leaving the hotel at 4 am to arrive in Hogtown early enough to get a tailgate spot, nor do I want to be dreading the hour+ drive back out of town after the game, when I can pop a cool one back at the tailgate and relax instead. Savannah? Ugh what a haul after a long day in the sun.

Same goes for what I choose to do for dinner the night before the game. I’ll choose Harry’s over McDonalds every time. After all the time and driving to get there, I’m going to be celebrating and not pinching pennies. I agree it’s a choice, and money can be shaved off here and there. But in the end I’d rather drive 1000 miles, spend 3 days and $1000 and do it like I want to, as opposed to driving 1000 miles, spending 3 days and $800 and denying myself some things I like to do.

Bottom line: saving $200 or $300 by cutting corners wouldn’t justify another trip because all the other factors are still in play. So if I’m going to all the time and effort to do this, I’m doing it right. I also only go to 1 or 2 games a year

That’s my logic - we all have our different ways of doing these things.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  20. timmy1

timmy1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +48

Incorrect....I pay around $1000 for season tickets. Expensive but life is about choices....and I CHOOSE to attend Gator games!