NCAA Football 14...

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Swamp_of_Gators, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +753
    Interesting. But yeah, it is possible to have a visit too early. Tennessee game makes for a dangerously tempting game to schedule visits, as they are in conference, a rival team, and are ranked (in my dynasty).

however, with your problem, I bet it COULD be a team using an unlock and a visit in the same week. I actually did that in my online dynasty against a user team (who the player had #1). Needless to say, he wasn't happy to see the results.
  2. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    So I've discovered if you take Driskel out of the Wildcat plays and put in a WR that can actually block, those jet sweeps are almost unstoppable. Sets up the trick pass plays nicely too. Trey Burton has thrown a few TD passes to Dunbar for me already.
  3. G8trJasonB

G8trJasonB Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +941
    I'm playing an offline dynasty as Duke. Yes, Duke.

I'm in the 2018 season and am simulating almost all of my games. The goal is to see if I can build one of the crappiest college programs from a big conference into a champion thru recruiting. So far, I'm not even close. My best season is 7-5.

I have, however, significantly upgraded the talent, but as you can imagine, depth is a problem. I've learned that I need to do my best to sign a class between 15-18 players. My last class had 18 and was ranked #36, so things are improving. Not bad for Duke.

This is how I do it:

- All level up points have gone towards recruiting. I believe this does hurt me though in the games since I sim them.
    - Pinpointed my needs based on review of the depth chart, not what the game says my needs are. The computer will drop a guy rated 40 into your roster just because it thinks you need three free safeties. In this case, depth is good from the computer's perspective, but it clearly isn't.
    - Based on needs ONLY, I search first for players that have Duke in their top 10. Then I search for players that are from a pipeline state. If they are from a pipeline but don't have me in their top ten, I determine whether they are worth my time by reviewing their interests. If I see some green, I may or may not decide to target them.
    - I scour my list of targets and determine my top 3 at each position. I do this by a) scouting 100% to avoid busts or to find gems and b) assessing whether I have a low, medium, or high probability of signing them.
    - Once I've got my top 3 at each position, I identify my top 13 players based on my needs. Why 13? I've leveled up to 6500 points and 550 per player max. This allows me to start allocating points to 13 players. The other players stay in my queue. Most of the others will sign with other schools.
    - Once I have my top 13, I start allocating. This is purely judgmental, but everyone gets at least 500 unless I'm the leader. Then they will get something less. I only offer scholarships over the course of 3 weeks, not all at once.
    - After week 1, things begin to come into focus. Those guys that have me as their leader begin to separate from the 2nd team, so I knock them down a few more points. I offer more scholarships.
    - I schedule visits asap for kids that have me as their leader. This will seal the deal much sooner and free up much needed points.
    - As soon as commits start rolling in, I start targeting a new player to take their place. Sometimes, I only allocate 100 points or so to the new guy, just enough to stay in the picture until another commit happens.
    - Near the end of the season, when I have free points to burn, I go back and scour the lists for guys that are 4 or 5 stars that aren't locked up. Based on a quick review of their interests, I target them and give them a scholly and full points. Usually, half of them will end up committing elsewhere or locking me out before the season ends. If a lockout, I use an unlock and get back in it. The goal is to get to post-season recruiting where I can allocate 5,000+ points to TWO guys. So far, this strategy has worked great and I end up with a couple of unexpected studs on NSD.

It's tedious, but it's fun. But like I said, if you're simming games like me, there is something lost by not allocating points to the head coach on the field.
  4. co_gator89

Ratings Received:
    +992
    I was 11-0 today and #1 with FSU coming into Gainesville and they went up 14-0 early on me. Then I came back and tied the game on a Driskel scramble with 30 seconds left to force OT. FSU converted on 3rd and 15+ every time in this game and then scored on 4th and 19 in OT. I had Hunter Joyer catch a TD pass on 4th and goal that he barely got across the goal line. Finally I held FSU to a FG and Matt Jones scored from 3 yards out in the 3rd OT and I won 49-46. Had my heart pounding like it was a real football game.

One thing that always seems to happen to me is Joyer dropping passes from Burton out of the wildcat. The ball is right in his hands and he drops it, but he catches everything else.
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +753
    Same exact thing happens to me.
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I suffered a safety when, in a game against LSU, Roberson made a nice over-the-shoulder interception on my own 20...and then the game took control from me and Roberson just ran straight through the end zone. I won the game, but man I would have been pissed had that been decisive.

Of course, there was the game earlier in the season where Purifoy made an interception in the back of my end zone, then tumbled out, and the game gave me a touchdown.
  7. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Also, I apparently turned Driskel into a turnover machine with my incompetence. By contrast, Tyler Murphy is a shockingly good quarterback.
  8. G8trJasonB

Ratings Received:
    +941
    I've had the same experience with both.
  9. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +420
    One thing I'm experimenting with this season: blatant running up the score. Like, of the type that would make Spurrier blush. "Play style" seems to be a big thing with recruits, and only playing seven minute quarters it can be hard to really rack up big numbers. So, instead of just running out the clock when up by three scores with six minutes left, airing it out every play in an effort to goose the numbers.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Wait, who runs out the clock in a football video game?
  11. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I mean, I'm not taking knees for the last six minutes, but I will pretty much just grind it out on the ground in those circumstances.
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Hm. Interesting.

If I'm three scores with 2 minutes left, I'm shooting to win by 35.
  13. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Well, with the new recruiting system now I am too.
  14. co_gator89

Ratings Received:
    +992
    I do that against scUM, FSU, and Georgia all the time, but even in a video game I would feel bad about doing that to Kentucky. That's like knocking over a person in a wheelchair.
  15. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Am I the only one who is compelled to schedule visits against every team above, or within 2 places of the "loudest stadium" teams. Then RUTS on them unmercifully?
  16. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +753
    So, no one is doing a gator country dynasty on PS3?

I would start one, but I'm already commissioner in a private league.
  17. G8trJasonB

Ratings Received:
    +941
    Looks like this game is toast for next year. Now the SEC, PAC 12 and B10 are all joining the NCAA and backing out. Thanks Ed O'bannon.
  18. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Not necessarily. The conferences (and their championship games) may not be in the game by name, but member institutions are still free to license themselves, and many have with the college licensing company, who EA just signed a 3 year deal with.
  19. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,102
    Some schools can still back out, considering that first the NCAA and now conferences have bailed, it wouldn't be a surprise if some schools do so, at that point I would be shocked if EA even bothered and if so, get ready for some generic awfulness like the Florida Crocs or Miami Tornadoes ;)
  20. G8trJasonB

Ratings Received:
    +941
    Florida State Semenholes? :geek: