NCAA Football 14...

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Swamp_of_Gators, Jun 18, 2013.

1. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    One of my favorite plays in the older games was the one where a LB with his back turned to the ball would jump up like he was on a trampoline and reach up and snag the ball out of the air with one hand. Also, the laughable lateral interception on option plays.
  2. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    The thing is, to be successful in recruiting in this game, you actually have to pay MORE attention than in years past. You have to pay attention to every single recruit, and everyone who is recruiting them, and see where you can cut points, and where you need to add points. I've actually gotten the hang of it, but it's no less time consuming than it was in the past, IF you want to be successful.

Dumping a lot of perks into recruiting with the new dumbass XP system is also pretty much a must. That actually may have more to do with why I've been successful than anything. I literally put every possible perk into recruiting.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,814
    The recruiting system was unnecessarily arduous and repetitive.
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Eh. Personal taste, I suppose. I enjoyed it, though it was certainly too easy; a 15-man class with eight five stars, six four stars and one of the 6'5, 4.4-running three-star wide receivers the game enjoyed generating every year was certainly not realistic. There was a little bit of tedium at certain points, but I felt like I was as involved as I wanted to be. There were always the "quick calls" to save time.
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Kind of like real life?
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,814
    Right, but there's a lot of psychology and gameship that happens in real life that cannot be properly replicated. It was a nice effort.
  7. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Of course.

Honestly though, I don't know that there really is a good way to implement recruiting into a video game.

As far as this years system, it may seem like a "set it and forget it" system, which would be great for those who found recruiting in previous years monotonous and boring, but you will lose out big time if you don't pay attention and adjust just about every players points from week to week. I find I spend nearly the same amount of time as previous years.

One thing I find quite annoying about this year, is the overwhelming amount of "busts" and "gems". I think there are more 3 star players that are hidden "gems" that are better than half the 4 and 5 star players, , because it seems like half the 4 and 5 star players are busts, and there seems to be a LOT more 3 star players than 4 and 5 star combined (my perception, haven't actually search counted).
  8. TnCamoGator

TnCamoGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I usually recruit DE's with a minimum weight of around 270 and a decent strength rating who is a pass rusher and move to DT. That does the trick for me
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,814
    I get the sense that the NCAA team came to this conclusion as well.
  10. G8trJasonB

G8trJasonB Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +604
    I think they are trying to emphasize scouting.
  11. gatornation850

gatornation850 Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Yeah I HATE the new recruiting it sucks
  12. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Well, I just discovered for the first time how seriously this game takes the concept of "icing the kicker." With three seconds to go. Against Alabama. In the SEC Championship Game. To send the game to overtime. With a berth in the national championship game at stake.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,814
    I wonder if they put much stock into studies that have shown it to be rather ineffective

14. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Considering the utterly bizarre "iced-over" effect on the kicking meter that effectively screwed me over, I'm guessing that no, they don't much stock in that research.
  15. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Yeah, you can't see the kick meter, they give you a funky angle so you can't tell what kind of angle to put on the kick, and then it goes in slow motion, which would normally be great, except you're use to the normal speed, and can't see the meter for crap.

I can't say I've ever missed an "iced kick" since they've implemented it into the series, but that's because I know what's coming, and set myself up for a straight line kick from a reasonable distance.
  16. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Based on the seven-member recruiting class I just signed, with the highest-rated prospect being the 45th best guard in the country, I clearly have a lot of work to do figuring out the recruiting system.
  17. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +495
    Go after 10 people that you 1) really want. and 2) realistically can get, and max out your points into them (you can have 25 other players, but don't waste points trying to split them). Then get a visit in as early as possible, ideally against an in conference team that is a rival.

The computer will not divide points, so really you shouldn't either. The trick is to max out your points and sign 10 players as quick as possible, that way you can move on to the next players.

Other things to consider; look at how many points you're beating the other teams in recruits. If you notice that no one else is recruiting a certain player, go ahead and take out as many points as you can, as there is no need to waste points on a player no one else is recruiting. Also, long term you want to make sure you don't have a huge sr. class, replacing 12-15 players is a lot more manageable than replacing 18-22 players. So use redshirting strategically with that in mind will help.

Also, playing as "Muschamp" is a real handicap in recruiting, as ridiculous as that is. He is a low level coach in this game, including recruiting. Other coaches have more points to allocate, both total, and how much they can allocate to an individual player. There's no fix to that other than either raising the starting level, or to simply level up.
  18. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    Put most of your coach points into recruiting, you can have 700 points for recruiting.
  19. MadduxFanII

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Heh, this was exactly the strategy I decided I had to follow. I think I started by targeting 20 or 22 players for the first class, and it went quite poorly. I figure 10 players at 500 points apiece (while maxing the recruiting skills, as PIM suggested) is the way to go in the future. 10 high-quality players locked up early, then a handful of the lower-rated recruits who do some things I like and aren't gobbled up by week 10.
  20. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I've ran into the problem where if I get them on campus early then they visit another school late in the year that was way low and I went from being up by 1500 points to down by 2k