NCAA Football 14...

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by Swamp_of_Gators, Jun 18, 2013.

1. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    back up FB, some two tight sets..
  2. LightMan

LightMan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Everywhere. I'm using the Run Balanced playbook. I have him at TE in a couple of the Ace formations. One of fullback spots in the Maryland formation and Strong I formation. Sometimes sub him in as WR and HB as well.
  3. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +920
    I put Trey in the wildcat sets. Also, that little HB inside play to Kelvin out of the pistol is pretty effective.
  4. G8trJasonB

G8trJasonB Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +910
    Does anyone else find that playing defense (specifically, pass defense) is ridiculously hard? I just got thru playing my first regular season. Kentucky threw for 300+ yards and beat me. LSU threw for 300+ yards and beat me. Georgia threw for 300+ yards and beat me with their backup since Murray was hurt. Finally, FSU's backup QB threw for 400+ yards and beat me 52-51 in double OT after I finally decided to go for 2 and didn't get it because I lost all confidence in my D. I haven't started using any sliders yet as I'm trying to figure out how it plays with default settings, but so far, I don't like what I see.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    This has been the case for some time - at least relatively speaking. The problem is moreso that run defense is skewed so advantageously that the CPU player compensates with passing.

One of the many lingering, dumb issues that have plagued the series for years. But at least they added Seven Nation Army audio.
  6. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,250
    In some ways the AI is too smart but in others it is too dumb. Play selection is based on the computer "knowing" your play. Zone coverage is severely lacking as it is still spot drop coverage with no pattern reading like almost all collegiate defenses do these days. Player reactions themselves are not really a heuristic based on what the player can see like in real life but more of an omniscient knowledge of everything that is happening.

Additionally, lineman interactions are based on a "sticky" concept where the line always reads stunts perfectly and body position is not a factor because offensive and defensive linemen simply stick together, and it has to be this way because of the limitations to the logic of pass protection. You don't see split protection, dual reads, etc. which make zone pressures so effective in real life. Honestly protection and pressure could be a game in and of itself.

IMO, rather than having the computer AI "cheat" more as you up the difficulty, complexity should rise. I don't know if it's a hardware limitation or a marketing thing (as having 27394729347 new kinds of cleats and hairstyles will probably sell better to the casual gamer), likely some of both, but there will always be significant flaws in gameplay until these issues are addressed.
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,451
  8. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,250
    EA has already confirmed that there will be a college football game next year. It just won't have the name NCAA. Not that big a deal honestly. The NCAA doesn't have the power to pull team names.
  9. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +729
    Yep, the name will just now look something more like this....

[​IMG]
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    The NCAA contract basically secured exclusivity, right? I'd love to see some competition here.
  11. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,250
    Just for the NCAA license. The member universities are a different thing altogether.
  12. LightMan

LightMan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    So how does that work? I enjoy EAs version but I think that some competition would do wonders for the game.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Right, but did not the NCAA license itself grant exclusivity to EA?
  14. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    I don't believe there is a studio in the world that has interest in taking this on.

160 stadiums, uniforms, mascots, players, etc is an awful lot to create from scratch.
  15. LightMan

LightMan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    I bet 2k could do it. I thought they had one before.
  16. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,250
    It grants exclusivity of the NCAA license. Not exclusivity of license of the member institutions. That is a separate agreement.
  17. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    Lots of studio's *can* do it.

I think people drastically under-estimate the cost of creating these games. The sheer number of artists, engineers, QA people, managers, facilities, applications, licenses, 1st party certification costs, as well as a host of other costs.

These costs are why studio's *wouldn't* do it. Not to mention having 2 college football games would cut into the number of total sales for each. Meaning the already small pie of 120ish million in sales would get shrunk farther.

If I started a game company today with 100 million $ I think it would take 4-5 years minimum to get profitable and would likely fail before then.
  18. LightMan

LightMan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    I get it, but the reason I say 2K is because they have been in the football genre. If they see an opening to get back into the football market I think they take it. This also depends on weather they will be able to make their version of the professional game. If they think that in the near future EA losses their sole rights to the NFL, they may see college as laying groundwork. Also 2k has a very good reputation when it comes to sports, they put NBA Live to death with their 2K titles. That makes me think, and I know I'm not the only one, this is the reason EA locked up the NFL, because 2K was a real competitor and EA was worried they wouldn't be able to keep up.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    You know well that there's a ton of boilerplate stuff that gets themed. It's not an insurmountable task given a year or two of development.

The reality is complacency has really hurt this franchise. It gets a shiny veneer on the same flawed package year in, year out. And it's sad because up until a few years ago I defended it when people said that, but it becomes more true each year.

What I see happening is something a little more ... "open." Maybe a Steam game, one that generates random teams players but allows rule/team/division/roster imports, essentially allowing one to eschew puchasing licensing rights.
  20. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    Meh, I believe you drastically underestimate the amount of work it takes to put out a title of this scope and detail. (especially yearly)

There's truth here ~ I'm not interested in bashing or defending EA however. There is a huge amount of work I wish could get done in cleaning up the engine, and re-writing certain systems that hold the rest of the game back.

I'm not entirely sure people are honest with themselves when they say things like" It gets a shiny veneer on the same flawed package year in, year out." though. Halo is still halo at halo 4, COD is still COD after a dozen iterations. Exactly how do people want football to be changed? Football's rules haven't changed. The game is on the same hardware as last year. If I hear people continue to talk about the "Glitch" of CB's being in perfect position, and dropping the ball, I might lose my mind. Hello, there's even a splash screen about it, switch to the player, hold Y, if the player has catching, they'll catch the ball.

The game is definitely not perfect thats for sure. The gameplay guys have made huge progress in the last two years imo. I thought this years game played outstanding on offense from a feeling of control and action standpoint. Defense left something to be desired.... However I think all of the running game feels like a new game.