NCAA Doesn't Want To Pay Athletes

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 17, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Well thankfully they get something right. This is a win for the greatest sport on earth, college football as we know it.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9682086/ncaa-budge-paying-college-athletes
  2. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Hopefully these kids keep taking money that's being thrown at them and continue to dabble in the nicest cars, flyest houses, free tattoos and paid autograph sessions while they're "amateurs". Pimp the system that's pimping you.
  3. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    His suggestion that the NFL allow guys to go pro right from high school could blow up nicely in his face.
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    They already get Paid!

Scholarships taking care of Tuition Board Rooms Books etc!

It's not cheap going to college and getting a good education. And for those of us without athletic abilities we had to work and earn our own way to get it done!
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Let the nfl spend a billion to fund a minor league system instead of colleges admitting players who can barely read and have no business being there
  6. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    I agree with this. Minor league or 3 years min of college.
    Problem solved.
  7. gatorjlm

gatorjlm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    or the NFL just lets them in at 18 (at their own risk), or 3 years....like Baseball does
  8. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    When I was at UF I worked in an office that needed labor that was related to my major. As an OPS student I was paid for my hours not to exceed 38 hours per week, if I remember that correctly.

It was minimum wage but the number of hours added up to a decent paycheck for a kid working himself through school.

These athletes are working for the university and are putting in regular hours in meetings, practice, training, games etc. They should be paid for those hours. If they can get Pell grants on top of that, good for them. It's not thousands of dollars per check but it is hundreds and it's regular the whole time they are playing.

The scholarship is an enticement to come to your school and a recognition of the prestige they can bring to the university. There are many scholarships awarded across the university, it's not unusual.
  9. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    One of the guiding principles (of the NCAA) has been that this is about students who play sports.

I think they've got the cart in front of the horse. These are clearly athletes that have to go to school. How many of these kids would actually be in college if it weren't for football or basketball?

10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    I agree with the NCAA if a college kid wants (more) money then they get in tuition and other perks they can go to Canada and play.
  11. Ceal8ter

Ceal8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I think ESPN should pay them. I mean they make a huge deal out of the NCAA exploited these kids while the colleges rake in billions. Ironically they never seem to mention how much money they make off these kids as well.

Nothing worse then a preachy hypocrite.
  12. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Room, board, books, and tuition are all well and good, but what about the kids that have no pocket change to do anything that isn't university related? They aren't allowed to have a job, except in the summer, so where are they supposed to get money to do the things that other students do? If you worked your way through college, that's great, but you weren't limited on how many hours you worked or if your friends could buy you a burger, etc. Everyone wants to say that they are student-athletes, no different than any other student. Yet, they have different standards that they are required to adhere to, so yes, they are different. I saw Spurrier speak once and he was talking about Big Nasty Gaines, a DT in the mid-90s. Big Nasty came from a family that didn't have a pot to piss in and he was still wearing the same clothes he came to school with even though he had gained about 40 pounds. Spurrier's point was that there needed to be something that allowed these student-athletes to be able to take care of the normal everyday needs like buying clothes that fit. He also pointed out that when he was at UF there was a monthly stipend of $100 to cover laundry and other things.
  13. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Big money schools like fla have plenty of money to pay players 1,000/month
  14. Ceal8ter

Ceal8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I agree with this to a point. I believe they should get a small stipend per month, because, as you mentioned, they are unable to have a job due to the time constraints of playing college football.

It should be a minor stipend since food and board are already paid for by their scholarship. And it should be the same from school to school.

The problem then becomes, not all schools can afford that. And do you pay this to all athletes or just football. One would think it would have to be universal across all sports. This would cause schools to cut athletic programs out of the budget.

So it's not as cut and dry as many want to believe. Sometimes you have to protect kids from themselves. Opening the NFL up to kids out of high school would not turn out well. A very small percent of college athletes are able to compete in the NFL after 3 yrs of college. That number would be ridiculously minute for high school kids. Probably less then 1%. Once these kids forego college scholarships to try the NFL, and fail, what's left for them? Continued poverty.

As much as we like to bash the NCAA. The large majority of these kids will rely on the free education they receive to make a living, and not on NFL careers. Many people struggle through college with no spending money. Many of us worked just to pay for school, room and board, and food. We didn't all have cars and new clothes, and VIP rooms at the local clubs. We survived and so will they. Who here hasn't at one time sacrificed in the present for the promise of the future?
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    I think the best thing is to keep the system the way it is.

If it had to change, create a minor league like baseball for the kids who absolutely no desire to get an education. Most of the kids would actually live a crappier lifestyle then they do in college making 20k a yr.. The product on the field for college football would suffer, but the playing field would certainly be leveled.

Paying college players isn't what college football is about. That's a slippery slope I hope we never go down.
  16. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    How many college kids get jobs that cover more than tuition, room and board, books, etc? None I knew. Those that worked at bars or wherever full time still sold their football tickets to pay for stuff. These kids get everything for free. That's better than a job.
  17. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Wouldn't Title IX basically force a stipend to be paid to all athletes? Seems like it would.
  18. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Add to that they get to "focus" on what they are there for, not work a job that JUST gets you by, and takes away time from what you are at school for.
  19. Ceal8ter

Ceal8ter VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    You should have read my whole post and not just the first paragraph. I'm pretty sure I said exactly what you did.

But to answer your point, I'd say conservatively about 25% of college students have scholarships and work a job for spending money. Many also have parents that provide a "stipend" to their children. I'm sure that despite your particular narrow view of not knowing a single person in such a situation, they do in fact exist.
  20. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Yep. And that's federal law, not a NCAA regulation. Without changing from Congress (which would never ever ever ever happen). Title IX will stand. If you pay any of them, you have to pay all of them. Which they can't afford to do.

In order to pay football and basketball players, you'd have to dismantle the entire student-atheltic programs. There'd be maybe three dozen schools left playing any sports at all, and they'd be reduced to football, basketball and everything else would be women's sports. So the only sports scholarships boys could get would be in those two sports. So a lot of kids who get to go to college on scholarship -- partial or otherwise -- would no longer be able to do so at football schools, if at all.

Maybe that would be cool -- some schools would have baseball, others track, swimming, whatever. But there wouldn't be enough revenue to support them without football (I don't think) so that wouldn't work either.

The best option would be for the NFL to create a D-league, but even that would be hard because there'd be no revenue.