NBA!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by corpgator, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
    The only place I've really seen this is the Grantland guys (Simmons, Lowe, Rose). I don't see OKC being unwilling to spend at all. They have plenty of money in their leadership team and they have great attendance and support since are the only game in town (and a town with a surprising amount of income due to ongoing oil revenue). The thing with Harden went down poorly, but Presti was trying to instill the San Antonio model, Harden's agent got antsy, and they ended up with a deal that neither Harden nor the Thunder wanted--but Morey sure as hell did. No way they let Durant go, and no way Westbrook leaves if Durant re-ups.

What their management needs to prove now is that they can acquire a third guy, or develop one within the organization, to complement those guys. Ibaka is great defensively and has expanded his game offensively, but is he really a third option? That will have to be a part of the pitch to Durant in 16 and Westbrook in 17.
  2. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    It's a long way off, but they should have just kept Harden last season and then let him walk afterward if they had lost. They probably would have won the championship last year. They were better than SA with Harden and all of their 4 including Ibaka had a better season than the year before. Plus, without Harden on the Rockets, they aren't in the playoffs and Westbrook doesn't get hurt.

Well you can't say no one would get hurt, but OKC wasn't even willing to keep a team together one more year that had just made it to the finals and played 4 competitive games. If you're a small market team, you have to be willing to go for it when there's an opportunity.

What's the last small market team to win? San Antonio never was. They were a top 10 in population among US cities when they won their first title. I don't think there has even been one in the modern TV contract driven era. The only way one will ever win is to get really lucky with the draft like OKC did and be willing to pay some luxury tax for a year or two once they develop or for the NBA to go to a hard cap like the NFL.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
    You could be right. Hard to know. The question for me was why they didn't wait for a better deal. Martin is good, but no replacement for Harden in any way and now he is gone. Lamb has some upside, but even that upside is probably at best as high as Martin's. The ones were never going to be very high. I still think Denver is sort of the model for trading a star player: they risked losing him by waiting for the best possible deal, then got a ton of young talent from the Knicks and ended up being better for it in the short run. What if you gave the Thunder a group like Galinari, Chandler, Felton, and Mozgov? Granted, that group wouldn't fit with their roster, but they essentially got two decent full-time starters and two slid rotation players, plus they dumped some salary to boot. They really picked up no real contributors (beyond the first year) and no assets. Heck, the deal for Beal would have been better than the one they made.

Well, the population in SA is a little difficult because it is a very transient town due to the heavy military presence and to immigration. Not many deep roots or deep pockets. OKC has plenty of money. That isn't the issue. Granted, Durant and Westbrook won't get the endorsement money they would elsewhere, but the franchise is fine financially. Attendance is good, financial backing is good, and there is really no competition in town for sports dollars (outside of OU boosters).
  4. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The trade rumor of Harden for Beal were nothing more than rumors. Washington was never willing to give up Beal.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
  6. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    I agree that OKC has the money, but they stated the luxury tax was the reason they couldn't keep Harden.

I guess Westbrook has had enough of watching Durant struggle; he's back tonight.
  7. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 0 / -2
    I think Harden is somewhat overrated when you consider his volume shooting and demand for the ball. Just my opinion....
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
    As a #1 guy, yes, probably. But he is still fairly efficient. His volume shooting and demand for the ball were a little exaggerated last year. Houston had no one else (youngest roster in the league and probably one of the worst outside of Asik and Parsons), plus their system--more possessions, early shots, all threes and twos at the basket--led to a higher volume of shots than he would ordinarily get in a half-court offense.
  9. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    Harden has been ice cold from 3 this season, which is hurting his numbers. Beal hasn't shot it well either, but that's pretty normal for shooters to start the season I think. Beal is 42% from 3, but putrid from everywhere else (8-31). It's surprising because he scored the ball better here from inside the arc vs outside.

Chris Paul, though, wow. Since they got embarrassed by the Lakers opening night, he's been ripping people. Houston just had no answer for him. Garcia can guard the likes of Durant, but they need to trade Asik for a better perimeter stopper. Asik for Sefalosha? Haha, just joking.

Chicago has been pretty bad offensively. I still think Rose is overrated.

Over/Under Magic wins this season: 35?
  10. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Regardless of what that article says (not really anything other than unnamed sources giving out "rumors"), those talks never got that far. Washington was not going to give up Beal. Same as the absurd rumors that they were contemplating trading him for Rudy Gay.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,120 / 66 / -15
    I have no idea how far they got--and regardless most trade speculation is based on unnamed sources because front office guys or coaches seldom speak publicly about a trade that didn't happen.

Whatever the case, my point was that OKC should have gotten far more for Harden than they did.
  12. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Completely agree there.
  13. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    Looks like Atlanta is in for another long, mediocre season despite Horf's best efforts. I can't feel too bad for him since he signed the extension and is making nice money, but I'd like to see him play with more talent.

He should go join Noah after the '16 season since they could use a good PF up in Chicago.
  14. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462 / 11 / -5
    I've been screaming this for years. Those 2 deserve to play together again and I think would form one of the best front court combos in the league.

I think they could pull off a trade Bulls give up Deng (large expiring contract), rights to mitrioc (or whatever his name is) and Charlotte's first round pick, then amnesty boozer in the offseason
  15. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    Vucevic is tearing it up. Orlando might make the playoffs this year.
  16. Gatorryder

Gatorryder Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 1 / -1
    It's super early but must say I'm enjoying each game again and looking forward to the next one.
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462 / 11 / -5
    I couldn't help but laugh at that game last night after dbag doyel proclaimed the clippers the best thing since sliced bread because they beat houston pretty bad 5 games into the season. They're gonna lose tonight too in Miami. If we're going to overreact to every game, the clippers are lotto bound now! Sorry I just hate that guy.

Magic look to have a pretty good collection of talent and they should be getting big baby back before long and Harris is still hurt right? only problem is they're screwing up their chance for the pg of the future
  18. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    Looks like the Thunder are finally ditching Perkins. Maybe they'll amnesty him before the season ends. He played 17 awful minutes and Adams played the other 31 and put a ridiculous 243 offensive rating. 17 pts 10 rbs 3 asts. Presti really has a knack for identifying talent through the draft.

I knew Curry meant a lot to the Warriors but holy crap, only 74 points. Klay Thompson is not having a good year so far. I don't think any shooting guard is. It's like some kind of disease hit them all.
  19. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +546 / 38 / -5
    Rockets have a hard time defending the Clippers, yeesh.
  20. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508 / 37 / -4
    Pacers and Spurs in the Finals. I'm calling it now.