NBA!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by corpgator, Oct 30, 2013.

1. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Started last night. Not an auspicious start for the Clips losing to a Kobe-less Lakers.

The Rockets look scary. Asik and Howard are going to be near impossible to score on. It's a reboot of the twin towers of the 80's except this time more defensively focused. Howard has 17 rebounds so far in just the first half.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,677
    Yet they are clinging to a small lead at home against a terrible Charlotte team. Howard and Asik are a cluster offensively. I am a big Rox fan, but they are shooting less than 40% from the field and have a negative a/to ratio. I fully expect Asik to be gone well before the trade deadline. You just can't be efficient offensively with two centers unless their games are complementary and that is not the case with them. This was always my biggest concern about the Rox signing Howard: you can't keep both and you probably won't get great value for Asik unless someone in the hunt loses a center.
  3. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    I agree, but I love watching them play D. If Harden wasn't ice cold, the game wouldn't be so close, but yeah, I'm sure they'll move him and be the better for it.
  4. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Poor Brooklyn.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,677
    Defensively, it is pretty interesting because both of those can defend the pick and roll well for bigs. They have the length and the athleticism to recover from hedges. Both play very well vertically, too. They need to figure out what to do at the four, though. It has been a revolving door. I know playing Parsons there full-time would be a long term disaster, but in all honesty it would be one of the toughest lineups in the NBA to defend. Can you imagine a 4-5 pick and roll with three guards spacing the floor? Kind of like what Miami does with James and Bosh.
  6. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    That's what Van Gundy basically did with Orlando while he was there, but he never had a ball handler anywhere near the caliber of Harden. Howard pretty much covered the 4 and 5 while in Olrando, so if he can regain that form, then the Parson at the 4 lineup would be feasible, but I'm not sure he'll ever be that good again.

I doubt they'll trade for any of the contenders in the Western conference, but maybe they could get someone like Gordon Hayward or Derrick Favors from Utah.
  7. A100

A100 Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    The Warriors, fun to watch with Lee, Speights and all the bombers(Curry and Thompson).
  8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I'm not sure Utah would do that or Houston could afford it, that's who Utah is building their nucleus around and gave both of them near max deals.

The one trade I thought made sense for both sides would be Asik for Ryan Anderson + filler. NO gets a frontline of Asik and Davis, which would be a nightmare defensively and Anderson's best years were with Dwight and would give Houston some nice floor spacing.
  9. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    I was thinking the same, but Anderson is more valuable and they wouldn't part with him I don't think. Some team, though, is going to want him given how hard good centers are to find.
  10. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Anyone catch Calathes?
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,677
    That seems to me like Houston's best play. Instead of unloading him prematurely, try the big lineup and then wait until someone gets hurt or a team realizes it can't contend without some help defensively in the post. Have no clue what team might fit the latter category at this stage, though. So may are tanking this year that I think you will only have a few legitimate contenders (Miami, Indiana, Brooklyn, NY, OKC, Spurs, Clips, maybe Warriors).
  12. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Miami could probably use him the most, but they have nothing to offer in return. Bosh would be perfect next to Howard, but that will never happen.
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,677
    Exactly. Battier might have been interesting at one point, but Garcia is better at that role now.
  14. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I think OKC and NY need him the most. NY needs a back up/ Co-starter to keep Tyson minutes down and OKC needs Perkins off the floor. He hurts them.

NY doesn't have any assets and OKC only has low level picks.

A team who could jump in there is the Blazers who may have a fire sale and ship Aldridge and Batuum out.
  15. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Meh, OKC should just amnesty Perkins. He's a negative, and money was supposedly why couldn't keep Harden, yet there Perkins still sits. I don't think Asik would be happy backing up Tyson. He said he wasn't going to be happy backing up Howard, and he's not so far.
  16. Gatorryder

Gatorryder Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +53
    Well guys since you are talking NBA as a longtime Magic fan, I have to say that I think the Magic are making progess with their young team and am hopeful that Davis and Harris will be back soon.

In the meantime I will be also cheering for the Warriors and Rockets mainly because of Lee and Speights and Chandler Parsons. Usually don't pay any attention to a team other than the Magic but cheer for Gator players. Just like the makeup of the Warrior team with Curry and Thompson inaddition to the Gators.

Is David Lee slimmed down this year? He looked more defined that I remember in the past. Must admit though that I haven't seen him play much in past years but hope to watch more this year. He's really been an outstanding NBA player that is finally getting his just dues.
  17. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    He's been pretty jacked for years like most NBA guys. Maybe he lost some muscle rehabbing.

Rockets are looking good so far. Can't wait til they play the Spurs. OKC can't get Westbrook soon enough and it's going to be a long slog to get to the 3-peat for Miami. I don't think they'll make it.
  18. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Parsons with 20 points in the first half so far. Might be a career high for points tonight.
  19. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    Dude needs to get paid, best value in the NBA

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  20. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +744
    He only had 4 points in the first half, but ended with 24 pts 12 rbs and 6 asts and he kept them in it the 1st half until Harden finally warmed up.

He'll get paid, but it might not be with the Rockets. The rumor is that Durant and Westbrook are out of OKC in 2015 because they aren't willing to spend to build a contender. Westbrook is going to team up with Love - who is definitely not staying in Minny the way they treated him - again in LA and Durant is going to the Rockets to play with Harden. That would make Parsons expendable, but someone will give him a nice contract or he'll be traded.