NBA Thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    Now that Jon H has transferred in and it appears that the roster is set -

This is probably for older posters but here goes:

My favorite player of all time: Kareem. While many argue Jordan as the greatest of all time I vote Kareem.
    His first 6 years at Milwaukee were incredible. A 35 / 17 guy. I would put it this way, if I had the 10 greatest players of all time to pick from for a "pick up" game, the young Kareem would be my first choice.

In my opinion his sky hook was not only the most devastating offensive weapon that ever terrorized the league it was even more than that. No less an authority than Bill Russell called it the purest, most artistic
    movement in the history of NBA basketball and I still believe that holds true today. The sky hook unique and truly a thing of artistic beauty.

Speaking of Bill Russell you old timers will remember that Bill and Keith Jackson called NBA games in the early 70's. Yes that Keith Jackson. They were great. Bill taught listeners that good offense was a result of good defense. He always preached that and I believed it.

Favorite teams: 1972 Lakers (69-13) Wilt, West, Goodrich, Hairston, McMillan. OK yeah I was a Laker fan as a kid. Followed by Magics Lakers and Doc's 76's.

Fastbreak basketball - different styles but the Lakers, Celtics and 76ers were so much fun to watch 'running" the ball.
  2. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Best of all time - Jordan. Kareem is there...but Jordan, then Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Oscar are all right there as the second best. No one is Jordan though.
  3. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    The best offensive player is Jordan, but Kareem was right behind him and he's more valuable because he's a center. The bigger the player, the more value they provide on defense because of rim protection. I love Jordan, my favorite player ever because I grew up watching him, but I'd take Kareem if forced to pick.

Defense is half the game, whether the media thinks so or not. Now, if I were going into an all-time draft to pick say 5 total teams and I knew everyone else would pick a center with their 1st pick, I'd grab Jordan knowing the gap between him and next best 2-guard is actually wider than the best center and the 5th best center. I'd actually love to have one of those drafts where you'd be picking based on that player's sustained peak.

We may be saying the same thing about the Brow one day too, that he'd be the one we would pick first. He has that much talent.