NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Allanon, Apr 19, 2014.

1. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    The two offensive fouls on the Clippers toward the end of the game were hilarious.
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    I didn't get the Paul foul but Griffin charged.
  3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    The call on Paul was inexplicable.
  4. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Hello finals rematch.
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    Tough blow for the Thunder with Ibaka. I think they had a shot with Ibaka if Durant/Westbrook played like they are capable of but without him I don't think they have enough to supplement their big two.
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    This depends on how many minutes Brooks gives to Perkins. If he keeps Perkins on the floor for even more minutes, then they'll get eaten alive by the Spurs. If he keeps them low and plays the lineup he finally discovered (that he should have been playing all along) then they have a real shot even against Miami.

Frankly, Adams, Collison, Durant, Jackson, Westbrook may be the best starting 5 in the NBA. There's not much left on the bench after that. Perhaps start Sefalosha for Jackson, but for the love of God, sit Perkins down.
  7. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Totally legit foul on Paul:

http://www.gfycat.com/HandsomeImpassionedGenet

I thought they were calling it for the forearm, which was just Paul reacting to a player flying at him and not enough to warrant a foul, but from where the whistle came from, the ref couldn't have seen that. He did see what Paul did after the forearm, though.

Not only does he travel, 3 steps before he passes, but he grabs Collison's leg and rips it out from under him. Collison fell very hard there, something that doesn't just happen incidentally. Paul is as dirty as they come.
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    No way is that foul on Paul if anything it is a foul on Collison. Also he takes 3 steps before he passes which I have never seen called a travel in the NBA. That is standard operating procedures.
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    Do you truly expect Brooks to not give a ton of minutes to Perkins? There isn't one person who understands that love affair but it has gone on for too many seasons to expect it to stop. Adams should be playing more I will agree with that but you give way too much credit to Collison. He isn't a starting caliber 4.
  10. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I was afraid Miami would beat down the Pacers, but this is going to be a good series. They murdered Miami on the inside today.
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    Inside, outside, free throw shooting, 50/50 balls/calls, etc. Pacers were ready to play. Always seem to match up well vs Miami.
  12. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603
    Helps a lot when you take 22 more free throws, right Kentucky fans?
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    The Heat have to hit their threes or they are toast in this series. Indiana should be able to dominate the paint. Birdman had a good day scoring yesterday, but they don't have many more threats down low.
  14. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    That was not home cooking. The Pacers took it to the rack and drew fouls. Miami was not nearly as aggressive. And it's impossible to guard guys who are way bigger than you. They let the Heat get away with a lot of questionable stuff when they go small, but not today. They got punished for it. Plus, Wade is the one who usually draws a lot of fouls, but he's old now and mostly just settled for jumpers.

The Pacers will continue to draw a lot of fouls, but they won't keep hitting 3's like that, so it will even out.
  15. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I don't think you're seeing the play and what Paul did. It was a pretty sly, dirty as hell move, but the refs caught it. Collison doesn't even touch Paul, so I don't know how you got that should be a foul on Collison. But Paul sure as hell grabs Collison's leg and yanks it out from underneath him.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
    God, I love some of the Grantland writers:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/n...e-you-and-what-have-you-done-with-the-pacers/
  17. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Grantland has become my go to site. Once they stole Lowe from SI, I knew they were going to have a great basketball site. I see people complain in the comments about too many basketball articles, but I love it. No other sport lends itself to so well to both analytical and emotional musings.

Oh, and the Game of Thrones stuff is amazing. Too bad we don't don't get another episode for 2 weeks :(
  18. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I always read the weekly GoT recaps. So well done.
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +450
    I have to admit that I am watching a lot more Stanley Cup playoffs than NBA playoffs. I am an "immigrant" from "the land of ice and snow" (aka Chicago - some Led Zep tune is now playing in my head for some reason) that grew up watching Bobby Hull, Stan Mikata, et al, at the old Chicago Stadium.
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,132
    As a Heat fan, I pretty much agree that the game was called fairly. But, there were a handful of calls/non-calls that had me steaming.

1. I think the refs go a little too far in giving Hibbert the benefit of the doubt on the verticality calls when he challenges shots in the lane. But, we'll call it a wash with the leeway LeBron gets when he's bodying up out top and the Pacer is trying to drive (kind of like what Wilbekin was so good at on the college level until his senior year when they started calling that a foul every time no matter how well Wilbekin anticipated the dribbler's move). But, I digress. What bothered me was the announcers talking up verticality all day for Hibbert, but on a second half drive by Hill against Birdman, Birdman was waiting in the lane and went up completely vertical (amazingly vertical!) to challenge the shot and got called for the foul - and not a peep out of the announcers.

2. On Bosh's drive from outside to the hoop against Hibbert, I think it was Jackson that said initially that there was a foul on Hibbert. On the replay, Hibbert slid over and there was definite body contact (which is about a 50-50 call - no complaint) and then Hibbert continued up for the block and there was forearm-to-forearm contact that was a definite foul (Hibbert did not manage to get his hand on the ball which usually negates the foul call) - and Jackson reversed himself and said there was no contact. What replay was he watching!?!

3. And, I believe in the 1st half, there was a pretty bad missed foul (hack on the arm) on Wade on a fast break that should have been an "And One". That was the most obvious missed call shown on replays.

4. Also, aggravating when Miami was having trouble getting stops and managed to get a stop and the defensive rebound by Birdman, but he loses the ball back to the Pacers for a bucket when he gets poked in the eye. No call.

As I said in an earlier post (Post #36 - comparing them to UK), I'm not shocked at all that the Pacers are playing well against Miami now that they survived the 1st 2 rounds. But, it's kind of heartening that Miami ony lost by 11 with the Pacers playing that well (each and every Pacer seemed to play well - that's hard to maintain), the Miami defense having quite a few lapses, and the Miami 3-point shooting being that abysmal.