NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Allanon, Apr 19, 2014.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,139
    As a Heat fan, I'm thinking OKC might be a better match, because the Thunder are so dependent on a couple of players (Durant & Westbrook) and LeBron is capable, defensively, of slowing down any one specific player.

The Spurs "spread the wealth" around so much that LeBron's ability to slow down one specific player might not have as much of an impact. The Spurs probably should have won it last season, but they kind of blew it in Game 6.

Of course, the Heat have to get past the Pacers first - assuming they close out the Nets. The Pacers are very good when they are playing at their best.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    Watching LeBron play really is a treat. Love him or hate him but you can't deny how effortlessly he plays. He was able to get to the rim whenever he wanted and knock down 11-12.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    As a Heat fan I'd rather face OKC for the reasons noted above, but the Spurs are my second fav team in these playoffs and I expect them to be there. The only thing I hate about the Spurs is Ginobli and his constant flopping/acting.
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Wizards outrebounded Pacers 62-23, seriously? 92% of the Pacer's misses and 49% of their own. That's messed up. No way the Pacers beat the Heat if they make it out of this round.
  5. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Wow, that was one of the wildest finished I've ever seen.

The refs gave the ball to OKC when it was clearly off Jackson, but he was also fouled on the wrist and on the legs, so in reality, it should have been OKC ball. From there, things just got weird.
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    Consecutive meltdowns by OKC and Clippers in this series.
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    You could just as easily say Paul was fouled when they got the initial strip on a reach in by Westbrook. You could also say it was a questionable foul call on Paul on Westbrook's 3 give the other two weren't called. That being said the one thing that was indisputable was that the ball went off Jackson. Clippers got robbed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,634
    I didn't see the game but I read the summary. Rivers has been around for quite some time and I have to believe that things didn't play out as they do in previous years/rounds. If there is one thing I do not like about the NBA playoffs is that the refs (via the commissioner's office?) are too much of the outcome of the game. It comes across as "7 games/no other choice" and then certain teams emerge at the end.
  9. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    Clippers didn't have any business winning game 4. Thunder returned the favor last night.
  10. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Paul tried his patented and stupid throw up the ball from half court while being intentionally fouled and hope the refs give him 3 shots. Westbrook anticipated and took it from him when he started flailing.

He definitely fouled him on the 3 pointer. You can't hit shooters on the arm, that's why he missed so badly. The problem with Paul is he goes into hero mode at the end of games
    That's fine during the regular season when not everyone is trying hard, but not so much in the playoffs especially when you are the smallest player on the court. Westbrool is not a good 3 point shooter but in Paul's mind he's thinking I have to stop him when he should have been thinking let him shoot that bad shot and we lose 30% of the time. Instead he fouled and it went to 80% tie and 70% lose.

What happened on the out of bounds call was the refs reverted to what they've always done: not call the foul and give the ball to the team that was hacked. Replay screws that up though. Really, if you're reviewing a play, the intent should be to get it right or you might as well not use it.
  11. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    I agree iwth your first two points (I said it could be argued but not necessarily that the calls were wrong). I do think Paul anticipated a foul and that was a bad move as he threw the ball up. I think replay is there to see if a call was right or wrong on the OOB. In one of the Clippers vs GS games Paul got hacked at the end of the game and it caused the ball to go out off Paul. They reviewed the play and I am sure they saw the foul but called it out of bounds off Paul which was the right call. The NBA came out and admitted a foul should have been called but the Clippers lost. Today the refs failed. The ball went off Jackson plain and simple.
  12. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Ok so apparently the refs got it right after all. Rule 8 section 11.

"If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball retains possession"
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,139
    I wasn't aware of that rule, but I like it!!! That rule should be used more in rebounding situations than it is. By that rule, they miss those calls fairly often in rebounding situations - calling it OOB off the inside-position player when it was the outside player who hit the inside player's hand and gave the ball the momentum to go out of bounds.

Not sure that this rule applies in the situation last night. It was Jackson's other hand that the ball last went off of. But, I didn't have a problem with the call (even though I'm kind of pulling for the Clippers) last night since there was a definite foul when the ball was stripped. Seemed pretty fair in that instance.

It is kind of messed up that, on those replays, they can't take into consideration whether a foul caused the ball to come loose to begin with. Even if they can't call the foul based on the replay, I say let them award the ball to the team that was obviously fouled if that was what caused the out of bounds to occur.

Not sure about some of the other calls in question, but Paul definitely blew it. It looked like he may have been fouled on the arm on that last play also, but was he really going to pass that ball? Griffin (who appeared to be the intended target) was completely covered! I can only wonder if Paul intended to fake the pass and then shoot, but it didn't seem like it from his reaction.
  14. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Since he had both hands on the ball when he was hit, I don't think it matters which hand it ultimately went off of.

I also see the refs generally reward the ball to the guy in front on rebounds when the guy behind slaps at him.
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    When you think about this current iteration of the Miami Heat it really is crazy how good they have been in the post season. They have won 10 playoff series in a row now and 13 of 14 playoff series since the team was formed.

I tend to think they will not repeat this year and will either lose to the Pacers or the Spurs but boy have they dominated when the playoffs begin.
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Went out to dinner with the wife last night and missed most all of the Heat clincher. Saw the game on in a Sports Bar as we walked home. Thirty seconds to go and Heat up by 2 so we stopped to watch. Of course those final seconds took a while, it started to sprinkle, wife wanted to leave but I persisted. At the 10 second mark, with the Heat up 1 and Lebron at the line, the rain started to poor and the satellite went out.

Bottom line, I missed the ending of an exciting game, got soaked and ended the night in the doghouse. :( Kind of funny in retrospect.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

I'd say this is by far OKC's best lineup and one I've been pushing for: Durant, Westbrook, Jackson, Collison (or Ibaka, who's injured) and Adams.
  18. corpgator

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Well, there we go, top 4 seeds all advance in 6 games or less.
  19. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    For those who believe that the league has any influence on the outcome of games, there was every reason to believe that the Clippers would get bounced ASAP. If the Clippers were to win it all, the award ceremony would have been supremely awkward with Mrs. Sterling up there with Doc Rivers (who has said he wants her gone). Welcome to the Adam Silver era? Not a chance. Even if the league had never in the past interfered with any outcome (wink), they would have made an exception in this case.
  20. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +859
    Well, as exciting as round one was of the NBA playoffs we had quite a boring round 2.