NBA Draft Lottery...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, May 15, 2018.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    I have to point something out-- Doncic isn't working out for teams because from around may 20 until the middle of june is the playoffs for ACB league. He isn't hiding from the draft process, he's choosing not to abandon his team (currently at the top of league standings) which I really appreciate. You've seen in the past some european players have bailed on their teams to go do workouts and I think it's admirable that he's staying with his team to try to win a title. He's the top scorer on the team, so although teams won't be able to put him through their own workouts, they'll get to see him in high pressure situations against great competition.

I agree with your thoughts on Ayton. Though he's supposed to be this game changing defender, you never actually saw that at Arizona and they were pitiful on defense. Any team drafting him won't be taking him for his proven production but for the possibility his freak athleticism turns into production one day.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,467

Sexton is another off the charts athlete as well....whoever gets him is going to be very happy IMHO. He showed just how good he can be in the postseason.

As for when Dancic will get taken.....well the scouts rave about him and with Phoenix recently signing his Madrid coach, I can't see Phoenix not taking him. I believe Josh Jackson came out and said that he's looking forward to playing with him.
  3. Efawcett7

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    I don't think Doncic is hiding from the draft process whatsoever, but there have been foreign players to do it. Biggest example--Donte Exum. He gained some attention a year before his draft year, and then decided he wasn't going to play any basketball during his draft year. He worked with trainers but not playing any basketball meant teams didn't really have film on him. Then he didn't compete in the combine. Still got drafted 5th overall and has definitely not lived up to that.
  4. Efawcett7

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    Oh wow, Jackson saying that is pretty wild haha.

Another connection, the Suns just hired Igor Kokoskov. Kokoskov is the national team coach for team Slovenia and coached Doncic to a very successful Slovenia Eurocup win.

There is that Ayton connection to the state that could give some traction to that potentially.
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,169
    Ok, I hadn't considered that. I still don't see his ceiling being that high.
  6. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,467

Sorry that's who I meant......the Slovenia coach. Not the madrid coach
  7. Efawcett7

Ratings Received:
    +2,230
    Oh i should have inferred that from what you said, I totally just repeated your point haha I'm sorry about that.
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,548
    Luka will never measure down to Kwame Brown.
    Just ask any old reptile for some perspective.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,006
    Orlando dropped to #6 in the draft; so, no luck there when they should have had at least the 5th pick as a minimum. Who should the Magic select?

After disappointing lottery result, the Magic must make their own luck

I would go for a solid, play-making point guard in either Young or Sexton.
    While Porter & Carter have potential, they seem like a gamble at the 6th spot.
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +36,403
    I like Sexton, But Young has the most upside perhaps. No Shaq, Penny's or Dwights in this one I am afraid.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,009
    Ayton was not billed as a defensive stopper when he came to Arizona. He played little D in high school and just used his size. Typical don't play D to stay out of foul trouble a lot of high school stars experience. But over the course of the year, Ayton's footwork greatly improved and he became a solid post defender, better rebounder, and averaged 2 blocks a game.

Offensively, Ayton can score from anywhere in the floor. Has 3 point range, very good from 15 to 18 feet, and knows how to use his athleticism to score in the post. With his improved game on D, I've heard experts compare him to Olajuwan, Robinson, and Duncan. And most NBA experts have him #1.

And I think the Suns take Ayton. The Suns owner is an Arizona alum and the risk of taking Doncic over Ayton is too high.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,169
    Ayton is the right pick at #1. His body type reminds me of Shaq's at the same stage. He has similarities to Shaq. Plus Phoenix desperately needs a center.
  13. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,467

Not sure about that.....I like Young don't get me wrong but I'm really high on Sexton. I think he will be the better pro long term.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +36,403
    Yeah, I am with you. I just feel like Young is a bit like Steph as a shooter, and may develop into a sniper. That goes a long way in the NBA right now. I would be thrilled if Orlando landed either.
  15. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +886
    How will the Tragic mess this up?

By the way, I like Sexton from Alabama, I enjoyed watching him play this year
  16. cincinnatigator

Ratings Received:
    +3,169
    Sexton has a lot of heart, reminds me of De’Aaron Fox. Extremely explosive athlete. I think both will end up being great guards. Not sure about Young because he's a bit too small for the league and a huge defensive liability.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,467
    Ayton does make a lot of sense for the Suns. Doncic will be tough to justify considering all those circumstances.
  18. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +886
    These Curry comparisons for Young are really unfair for him. Steph Curry carried a nobody school, Davidson, to multiple tournaments on his back.

Young had a stellar first half of the season, then was exposed. The committee let Oklahoma in the tournament despite having one of the worst 2nd halves of any tournament team, and OU couldn't get out of their first game.

Young could end up very good, but is not Curry, who will go down as an all-time player. Very unfair, and a huge risk on draft night.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,461
    Didn't Luka's team beat the Thunder in a pre-season exhibition last year? Exhibition or not you can't compare the Thunder to Villanova or any other college team, regardless of how good they look playing other 18-22 year old student-athletes.

I think Luka is sneaky good and has a tremendous feel for the game, well beyond his athletic limitations. There are a number of NBA greats that weren't all that athletic that did just fine - Larry Bird, Steve Nash, etc - and at 18 the way he's played and excelled in the Euro league and on his national team I don't see how anyone in their right mind would take him at anything less than top 10. There are plenty of long, athletic F-C in the league that go bust. Bagley has yet to play a professional game and neither has Ayton. I'm fairly confident they'll do well but who with any certainty knows how well they'll do. That's why they're saying Doncic is as much a sure thing as anyone else (he's literally a basketball prodigy that has spent his life around the game at a high level), though of course nobody really is a sure thing when it comes to the NBA so no one really nows - expert or not. Just look at Donovan Mitchell. Who the hell would have expected the season he had...and the future he has. Highlights or not Doncic gets it done, and his intangibles and feel for the game (court vision, instincts) are what execs see offsetting any athletic limitations. I guess we'll see next year.
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,928