Nader speaks on Hilary, Obama, Rand, etc..

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tim85, Apr 29, 2014.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-p...ibertarians-progressives-unite-110418813.html

"Ralph Nader's America: Impeach Obama, decriminalize drugs, libertarians & progressives unite!

What if Washington politics were no longer defined by partisan gridlock but instead by a cross-party alliance that forged solutions? The alliance would be unstoppable.

That’s the premise of the new book “Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State” by longtime political activist and five-time presidential candidate Ralph Nader, who contends that such a left-right alliance is not just the stuff of imagination but is actually emerging.

“On Capitol Hill, I'm seeing more and more in Congress, left and right,” Nader told “The Fine Print.” “It was a vote in the House over a year ago over the NSA snooping, it almost broke through … so we're beginning to see formulations that once they click together, they're unstoppable.”

Nader was referring to a vote in July 2013 over a measure known as the Amash Amendment that would have curtailed the National Security Agency’s ability to collect bulk phone call data. The measure narrowly failed by 12 votes, in part due to a concerted White House lobbying effort on Capitol Hill.

Nader expects there is going to be a growth of left-right alliances in Congress, pointing to the war on drugs and bank regulatory efforts as areas of possibly confluence. On the war on drugs, Nader said that the United States should entirely decriminalize and move to regulate all drugs in the same way alcohol and tobacco are regulated.

“Tobacco leads to the deaths of over 400,000 Americans, hard drugs lead perhaps to 8,000,” Nader said. “People who are addicted should not be viewed as criminals. They should be a health problem, the way it is in alcoholism and tobacco.”

But Nader qualified that the success of his envisioned left-right alliance is dependent on strong leaders. He said Sen. Rand Paul, son of Ron Paul, has the potential to be a leader for the alliance, but added that he thinks the Kentucky Republican has certain shortcomings as a leader.

“He’s a mixed bag, you know, he's evolving. He's broadening his issues that he's talking about and they’re beginning to resonate,” Nader said. “On the other hand … he has problems dealing with people.”

Paul’s “problems” aside, Nader predicted that he will be “the one to beat” in 2016 in a Republican contest that is also likely to also include Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida. He also made it clear what he does not want to see in 2016: A Jeb Bush - Hillary Clinton matchup.

“You want a dull campaign? Try Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton in 2016,” Nader said. “It'll only be exciting for people who are interested in dynasties and personalities.”

Nader said he never tells anyone not to run for president but that he would oppose a Hillary Clinton presidential bid.

“She's turned into an international militarist,” he said. “She's far more hawkish than Obama.”

Nader suggested that Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D – Mass., would be a strong alternative to Clinton, with her understanding of “corporate power,” but said that Warren won’t run because Clinton has “dried up” the prospects for other Democratic contenders to compete.

Nader has his own vision for who he’d like to be president and has even put forward a proposal of 20 billionaires who he encourages to run for president – a list that includes media mogul Oprah Winfrey and environmentalist Tom Steyer.

“That's where we're at now: 20 billionaires with some enlightened background and I said run. Run! Run as an independent,” Nader said. “Just to shake up this two-party tyranny … So maybe one of them will run. We certainly have enough of them, don't we?”

When it comes to the current president, Nader said that Obama has violated the Constitution on several occasions and should be impeached.

"Oh, most definitely," Nader said when asked if Congress should bring forward articles of impeachment against Obama. "The reason why Congress doesn't want to do it is because it's abdicated its own responsibility under the Constitution."

Nader said the president's use of military force in Libya has been his most "egregious violation of the Constitution."

For more of the interview with Nader, check out this episode of “The Fine Print.”
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    Couldn't agree with Ralph more. I truly think there are a lot of us out here who have had it with the leadership/elites in both parties and a lot of common ground to be tread upon.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +964
    He's delusional.

I agree with a lot of what he's talking about, but neither the Ds and certainly not the Rs are going to go against the corporate oligarchy.
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,449
    Right, Ralph. Bush and Cheney are war criminals. We should impeach Obama .... sure.

I don't think he has many friends among Democrats given what he caused in 2000.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    Yep. Not a part of either "club," which is what makes him interesting.
  6. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    I don't think he minds.
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    I said at the time, and still feel that OWS and the Tea Party were more similar on the political spectrum than most of them would like to admit.
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,449
    other than simply being disgruntled, what do you think they have in common?
  9. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,780
    Steps to political fruition:

1. Understand that the status quo (YOUR SIDE) isn't representing your interests...and it won't in the future.
    2. Recognize the difference between what you need and what you like. Likes are negotiable points.
    3. Find people who believe your needs...by doing your own homework. No listening to the pundits.
    4. Vote those people into office until they don't represent you anymore.
    5. Once you have tackled the basics, find enough similarities to start a viable third party.
    6. Once the party is in its infancy come up with a simple platform to reflect your values to less civic-minded people.
    7. Repeat until you get someone to represent you at the Presidential level.
    If you think we can get there by 2016, well good luck. Can't take shortcuts to real success.
  10. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    Ralph tries hard to remain relevant, but it's a losing battle for him.
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,326
    I love Ralph Nader, but his take on politics always seems extremely reductionist to me.
  12. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +536
    That the government no longer represents the people's will and has been usurped by corporations, banks, and money.
  13. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    I think you're implying that what he's saying and doing is solely to selfishly keep himself in the spotlight for his own ego or something, which his past actions don't suggest. I don't agree with him on many things, but I think he cares about the future of our country and is doing what he believes is best to get others to take notice. If you don't like what he says, debate it or say it plainly - but to attack his intentions is lame and misguided.
  14. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    nothing will happen, so long as we have the legal bribery system known as campaign donations

whether R or D, the 2 big parties generally work for big money special interests, who get an incredible rate of return for their investment in politics
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    You mean until both (or, specifically, parts of their message) were hijacked by the usual suspects?
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    But he's not part of the team? Don't you get it? ;)
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +536
    Nope it's one more thing they have in common ;)

Then getting smeared by the opposing news organizations.
  18. mauijab

mauijab VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    So , this is a legal defense of violating the constitution ? I am not personally calling him to be impeached , but if he is guilty along with bush and cheney , we should hold them all accountable for their actions .
  19. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    I have just felt (maybe wrongly) that Nader's repeated presidential campaigns are largely ego driven. Seems to me Ralph could have made more of an impact regarding the issues about which he feels strongly in ways other than by running as a marginal and largely-ignored candidate. I happen to agree with many of his views, just feel he's wasted much of whatever political capital he had as well as some of the "weight" he held with the media, trading it in for the support and adulation of those who already shared his views. I will admit I may be dead wrong in this view.
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +993
    I believe he tried to play the game at one time and didn't like what he saw. And now, like Paul, he just doesn't give a ____ and is going to put what he believes out there and what happens, happens. Nobody other than a party loyalist should have a problem with that.

There's your ticket. Have Paul and Nader run against each other with the knowledge that the loser becomes VP. Having them debate each other would be fascinating, IMO, and probably very informative.