"My Train Wreck Conversion"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Dec 27, 2013.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Powerful!

The pastor Ken is much more representative of how the Christians I know act vs what the media portrays...

"The article generated many rejoinders, so many that I kept a Xerox box on each side of my desk: one for hate mail, one for fan mail. But one letter I received defied my filing system. It was from the pastor of the Syracuse Reformed Presbyterian Church. It was a kind and inquiring letter. Ken Smith encouraged me to explore the kind of questions I admire: How did you arrive at your interpretations? How do you know you are right? Do you believe in God? Ken didn't argue with my article; rather, he asked me to defend the presuppositions that undergirded it. I didn't know how to respond to it, so I threw it away.

Later that night, I fished it out of the recycling bin and put it back on my desk, where it stared at me for a week, confronting me with the worldview divide that demanded a response. As a postmodern intellectual, I operated from a historical materialist worldview, but Christianity is a supernatural worldview. Ken's letter punctured the integrity of my research project without him knowing it."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/january-february/my-train-wreck-conversion.html?start=1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Very good read the way it should be.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    Thanks, Q. I haven't read the book but it does indeed appear to be a powerful testimony. What struck me was the contrast Rosaria related between the sort of well intended but poorly said things that mocked and repelled her from Christianity and Christians and the tack that Ken and Floy Smith took in befriending her. They became her friends, they respected her, dined with her, didn't urge her to church. They engaged her intellect asking questions that encouraged her to open her heart and mind rather than making offensive remarks of condemnation and judgment such as those she quoted from Pat Robertson.

They acted like Jesus. They acted as Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Yes and while the majority of Christians I know act this way there certainly are plenty that would claim Jesus while sending hate mail. The Rosaria situation is very real as well.

I treated this issue in the past (young and immature Christian) with ignorance and a Christian view that put me ahead of Christ (a sin in my view that I still struggle with at times).

There is a high school friend (not sure they would claim to be my friend) who is a lesbian and every once in a while engages me through a mutual friend on FB. I attempt to be like Ken and Floy but so far her anger towards my views and belief in Christ has not allowed us to become friends. I do not intentionally engage her unless she starts the conversation. I do not ask her to be my friend on FB as to me that time will come if she wants it to. But I am always ready to engage in discussion with her.
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    very interesting read

the internal turmoil of the homosexual must be exhausting- I need to pray for me to better understand their turmoil and if I can make a difference and also I need to pray for their tranquility
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,521
    Is the moral of this story that there are no real homosexuals, only people who have fallen into the sin of homosexuality? It seems to be.

I do hope the idea of GOP Jesus still makes her want to hurl.
  7. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788

Beautifully said, my Friend.

"I have not forgotten the blood Jesus surrendered for this life."
    • Like Like x 1
  8. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    First, thanks for the post. Interesting to say the least. I think one of the lessons people can draw, imo, is that not only is Ken emblematic of many good, thoughtful Christians, but that there are also many good thoughtful gays and lesbians and if you pull back the lens a little, you'll probably find a bunch of miscommunication, prejudice, misguided anger, mistrust etc... on both sides. Keep in mind that Rosaria does mention the hate that was directed her way by folks claiming to be Christian, who while they might give other Christians a bad name, certainly seem to often speak the loudest.

As for your lesbian fb acquaintance, that's thoughtful of you to try, but keep in mind that like Christians who might feel persecuted by others, so do many gays and lesbians, and without even knowing her, I have little doubt that her resistance comes from some negative experiences that stand as an obstacle to her even wanting to engage you in a way that suggests a modicum of trust or want of understanding.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788
    A lot of alleged "Christians," misunderstanding the full nature of salvation and the life thereafter, demean the cost of their own forgiveness.

It's not only that one surrenders all and responds to God's Grace, it is also about what is supposed to follow: i.e., being transformed into the likeness of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Many claim only the first half of the inheritance, and ignore the remainder.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    If a homosexual accepts Christ as their Saviour then they to are welcomed into the Kingdom of God when they die
  11. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,032
    Well that can be said for anyone.
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    No doubt jdr. One of the main reasons we do not agree is we view homosexuality from two different premises. I tried explaining this to her but to no avail...
  13. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +821
    Truth, my friend, Truth. Without repentance there is no salvation for it is the evidence (fruit) of conversion. To quote R C Sproul if there is no evidence of sanctification you must question a false conversion.

Contrition vs attrition.
  14. gatormonk

gatormonk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Some really excellent videos of her speaking on the topic. I watched them both and was impressed and convicted. She really ministers the grace of God so well.

This one is long but I had the day off :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. DowntownGator

DowntownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +273
    I do not believe that is the case or the point of her message. The moral of her story is that you can still be a self-fulfilled practicing homosexual, which I understand means her committed "covenant" lesbian relationship with her wife, and also enjoy reading Bible stories from any number of translations, even if folks in the gay and lesbian community disapprove.
  16. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    DTG, this post has me confused. Rosaria left the lesbian lifestyle and is married to a male Presbyterian pastor.
  17. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Have you tried understanding where she is coming from, without judgment (in the sense that shows you just want to understand)?
  18. rajinGator

rajinGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    If one makes a decision to come to Jesus, come from where you are. It doesn't matter how marred with sin or filth your life at the time. You don't clean up before a shower..........just jump into the Water.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Not sure what you mean by without judgement. I have tried to explain to her the two different premises we view things from and from a position of humility because I am a sinner.

I understand why she views things the way she does. But she has yet to be able to understand why I view things the way I do.

And I certainly believe that many do damage to Christianity in the way they approach the issue. Ironically many like her act the same way from the other side.

I am always open for discussion with her.
  20. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Didn't mean it in bad way, only in the sense that sometimes when trying to understand others, we all can give off cues that might make the other person think we are judging them, especially those that might be predisposed to believing others are judging them, as this person might be. My apologies if it came off as my assuming something.

If she doesn't understand, then that is on her. At some point, I'd say forget even trying because some people will not open up for whatever reason. I still think it's good that you try.