My Thoughts on the Winstongate Scandal

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFLAW81, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    Penn State was brought down for knowingly participating in a cover up of sexual misconduct. USC was brought down by failing to reasonably investigate the eligibility of Reggie Bush. both situations were huge embarrassments for the NCAA and Downtown Athletic club

We know now that Winston was identified as suspect in some capacity early on and hired a high profile criminal defense lawyer who provided an alibi without Winston giving any kind of a statement to police. We also know that the athletic department at FSU became aware of this matter early on, likely because Winston informed it he was being investigated in conjunction with a sexual battery.

Why this never made it to the State Attorneys Office before now is the current burning question.
    But, is it realistic to think no one at the SAO was ever informed, especially when a suspect is invoking his rights against self incrimination and has hire a criminal defense lawyer?

So the real question is what did the SAO know and when did they know it. Did they discuss and disclose the potential evidence to the athletic department? If so, was the athletic department aware Winston was not talking, did they do their own investigation and did Winston talk to them?

The athletic department is not bound by the same rules as the criminal justice system.
    They have a duty to comply with all NCAA rules and to assure that its athletes are eligible. Winston has been the leading candidate for the most esteemed award in all of college athletics. The NCAA has little tolerance If Winston was not eligible and FSU either interfered with an investigation or failed to conduct its own reasonable investigation, it will be severely sanctioned.

Winstongate could be huge, for the Tallahassee police, the SAO and FSU. not to mention Winston himself who may find his career completely done.
  2. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    They will suspend him for a game or 2. SAO will no wrong doing. Life goes on. Imo.
  3. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    F$U will threaten NCAA with a lawsuit, and the NCAA will cave. It worked when they were caught red-handed in the biggest academic scandal in NCAA history, and they received essentially no penalties of any significance. It will work now.
  4. 32250Gator

32250Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    I'd bet that the case wasn't presented to the state attorney until this week. Why it was held by the Police department for 11 months is the real question. Surely even DNA testing wouldn't take that long, so sometime in the last 11 months the case should have been closed or sent to the state attorney for prosecution.

This is an all or nothing situation for Winston. Either charges are never filed and he never misses a snap, or he's charged and likely never plays for FSU again. I don't see a situation where he's simply suspended for a few games. Either way, I'd think this nukes whatever chance he had at the heisman this year.
  5. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Bizzarre situation. I suspect a lot will depend on whether the media jumps all over this, or will it be confined to the internet forums?

There was a very small blurb in our local "Inland Empire" rag this morning. The piece made a point of the physical description, and compared it to Winston's statistics; so, they were sort of making fun of the story.
  6. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    This is going to go viral in the media.
    Sports, sex, cover up, et. al.
    It's not the first rape scandal of this type in the last year also involving football.
  7. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,354
    I bet someone at the SAO knew about it.
    I bet that person or persons talked to the detectives and the criminal defense lawyer.
    I also bet the talked to the athletic department about it.
    Winstongate is the real thing.
    If I am right, FSU is not skating on this one.
    This guy almost won the Heisman.
    College football and football in general is in enough trouble as it is.
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +552
    Case will be closed by thanksgiving. If there is no dna evidence or an eye witness, it is a he said, she said case. In her statement she admits to drinking and describes someone who does not match Winston. Her statement seems to be unreliable and would be torn apart by the defense.
  9. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Exactly. Why are you guys reaching for something in hopes that he's not eligible to play against us? Quit being scared.
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +223
    Noles on WC are saying that Winston wasn't involved with the sexual assault but was part of the police report because he left the apartment with the suspect. Don't know if any of this is true, but they seem to be relieved by this information on WC.
  11. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    Its way beyond forums at this point. It was a main topic of conversation on ESPN radio all day...and the David Glenn show led with it today... (For those who dont know David Glenn is the editor: ACC Sports Journal and a very fair syndicated radio guy in the Carolina's.) Its also getting ink from every major outlet.
  12. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    The Noles on Warchant also had each other convinced yesterday that it was undoubtedly someone pretending to be Jameis Winston to get laid, so take their thoughts on the matter for what you will...

:laugh:
  13. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +223
    LOL ... I missed that one.

The new thread is painting Winston to be the hero of the day, who stepped in to stop the sexual assault, removed the other guy from the apartment, then gave him a stern lecture about keeping his hands to himself.

The police probably are looking for him to give him a medal ... :yes:
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,142
    Personally, I don't think anything will come of this.
  15. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I agree with Gray, nothing to see here.
  16. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I don't know what the procedures are for the police informing the SAO about something like this. But when the SA says he didn't learn of the situation until a couple days ago I have to believe him in the absence of any evidence that he's lying.

I think the explanation for the one-year delay is that the TPD hoped to just let this complaint die a quiet death without anyone in a position to do anything ever knowing about it.
  17. Stewie4Governor

Stewie4Governor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    Even if he didn't commit the sexual assault, being an accessory to rape is still very serious. Look at what happened to the 5th Vandy player that charged with accessory after the fact.
  18. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Shouldn't there be DNA? That will clearly confirm it wasn't him.
  19. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    I'm saving this post for posterity.

What "NCAA rule" would have FSU broken?

FSU has a school policy that says you cannot play while charged with a crime. I believe UF has the same one as do most big time football schools who run into this issue. It is not an NCAA rule though.

If Winston is eventually charged, is the NCAA going to come into Tallahassee and start issuing subpena's to FSU, the SAO, and the TPD about who knew what when to determine if Winston wasn't eligible due to an internal FSU policy? :laugh: Come on.....

I'd pay money to be in the room when the NCAA tries to question any police department, be it TPD, GPD, or MPD, about any of their investigations. I'd bet willing to be most of the answers would be, "Go **** yourself. Sorry to leave but I have a thing."
  20. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274
    Well let's hope for his sake this is the case
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.