My thoughts on the search for a new OC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Your money?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    An interesting flight is the one into Bob Hope (Burbank, Ca). Arrived from San Antonio on the 5th and departed back to San Antonio on the evening of the 6th. Airport could be convenient to anyone based at USC or UCLA. Nice discreet airport. Tom Cruise, The Guvinator, Bruce Willis, et al based their Gulfstreams there at one time. Of course we don't know where any particular coach lives; or where a meeting might be held--or even if that was the purpose of the trip.

It would be helpful if Flight Tracker told you who the passengers are on a particular flight. I guess that would take some input from NSA or the IRS.

N100FG looks like a pretty decent mid-sized jet. Has some Lear-like lines. N101FG is a smaller version--also produced in Brazil by Embraer with some partnership with BMW. Kind of a new team on the block. They are both quite busy right now. 101FG was in Teterboro, NJ last. Both have been in and out of Charleston, SC this past week.
  3. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    That you Will. ?

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  4. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    That'd be a terrible hire. He has never even served as OC before, nor have his offenses as HC been good.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,474
    If I am Will then you know Andersen wont be hired. And that the Gators will not go fast all the time.
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    az,

Why does it matter which guy he chooses when you want WM to make sure the new OC does it the HC's way. Nutt did that and gets to watch all the bowl games with us once again.

Unless the new guy can install his entire O, we will still look similar to what we have been under WM. . Like I have pointed out with two other OC's before the next one...
  7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Interesting that you bring up Spurrier's offense because the strength of those teams was also the weakness of those teams. The majority of the games we lost during the Spurrier era was due to the offense not being able to take time off the clock in the second half of games, the defense being on the field almost the entire second half and getting worn out.

There weren't many teams that had the physical talent to do it, but the ones that did, like FSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Bama, gave us problems.

I like the idea of a more diverse and wide open offense, but I think it's important to make sure we still have the ability to power run the ball and chew up time on the clock when we need to.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. coach

coach Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    This morning's flight was to the middle of Tobacco Rd. Greensboro, NC. Hmmm?
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    What you're saying is that we lost to good, talented teams. No offense but that's a "no duh!" kind of statement. We more than held or own against UT, were about .500 against FSU in the middle of their dynasty run, our QB had a bad day against Auburn (was quite windy so your running point may have merit here), etc.

I agree though that I'm all for an uptempo high octane offense so long as we can run it when we need to. I'm pretty sure Muschamp will have the same requirement of his new OC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorright

gatorright Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    tos mentioned a possibility of the Nebraska oc...a good friend of cwm and Applewhite's...they seemed to think it would be a bad idea, but sort of in keeping with the theme of this coaching staff. The increase in reported support of cwm from other coaches regarding the team suffering through all the injuries may have the result of just such a hire and the thinking that our inability to score was solely related to injuries and not coaching. Here's hoping that is not the case.
  11. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    We had 3 losses to Auburn in the Spurrier era - 1993 when we were ranked 4th, 1994 when we were #1 and Auburn was a 17 point underdog and 2001 when we were again ranked #1 and I believe Auburn was a 21 point underdog.
    I believe we had 4 losses during the Spurrier era to Tennessee, none of which occurred during the Manning era.
    Lost 3 times to Bama, including twice in 1999. Only in 1992 were they ranked higher.
    We were about the same level as FSU, I'll agree there.

I get your point and I don't disagree, but I don't think it's a "duh" point. We beat a lot of teams that were very talented as well.

My point was that these were all teams that were able to take away our running game without completely selling out, because we really didn't have a power running game. Many of those games had the same basic script and we were beaten by the same formula. We almost always got ahead and looked to be in good shape but in the second half, those teams would force a lot of 3 and outs where we only took 30 about seconds off the clock because they had shut down the run and forced us to pass. The defense spend almost the entire second half on the field and got worn out.

That's one of the things I really like about Auburn's offense. That offense moves the ball and chews up clock.

Bottom line is that I would personally like to see an offense with some balance that has the ability to run fast at times but also slow things down and control the clock.
  12. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Rumor that Sark after ASU recruiting coord/ tight ends coach. Sark's not waiting. I wonder if Boom has identified his guy yet?
  13. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Thoughts on Seth Littrell at Ind.?
  14. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    I still think you're overstating things. Let's look at the Auburn losses:

2001: we trailed at half, took the lead in the third quarter and ultimately lost on a last second field goal all while Grossman threw four interceptions on the road. No, we couldn't rush the ball but neither could Auburn at 1.9 ypc.

1994: #6 Auburn (on a 17 game win stresk entering the game) beat #1 Florida in the Swamp by scoring with 30 seconds left in the game to win by 3 after picking off Wuerffel for the sixth turnover of the game.

1993: #15 Auburn upsets #4 UF even though Errict Rhett rushed for 196 yards. Wuerffel's two interceptions played a big role in the last second loss on a field goal.

Just my two cents.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +532
    The new guy can help if boom doesn't make him do it his way and make it a bust.

Don't care who, as long as they fix this mess on O.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I really hope not. Since he has become OC, Nebraska's passing offense has been ranked 104th, 88th and 93rd. Seems way too similar to what we already see.
  18. G8torsRUL

G8torsRUL Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Espically in a weak Conf. where only MSU had the best D.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,237
    No, they won't go fast MOST of the ime. It won't be long until Muschamp has taken over the new OC and slowed everything down again.

A leopard cannot change it's spots. Muschamp is incapable of changing his offensive philosophy. He can hire dual-OC's if he wants, but it won't change anything. He just absolutely cannot do it.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,474
    You sure you even know what his offensive philosophy is? And what needs changing?