My thoughts on the search for a new OC

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Maybe, although I would argue that some OCs probably realize bringing the UF offense back to life would net them much better jobs than some place like Wyoming.

Nonetheless, my only point is that if the plan is really to wait until January there is danger that our guy or guys are being approached from other directions. If we want them, I am sure other people do as well.
  2. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Still like Baylor's OC Montgomery and bring the OLine coach too.
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I think most of these deals are done well before they're announced through their agents. My guess is that if Muschamp knows who he wants, contract negotiations are already underway, if there's not already a deal in place. Of course if Norvell is the guy and a deal is in place, my guess is that his agent has a clause where if he gets a HC offer, he can back out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    Also worth mentioning he is from Arky, where he played his college ball and started to coach. He isn't some West Coast lifer or anything.

A buddy of mine played high school ball with his brother and I am still waiting on an email if there is anything on that front. I like Norvell a lot. At first, I had some misgivings that he was just using what Malzahn established before him at Tulsa (and that was pretty much the criticism of the Pease hire), but as you say he has put it in at multiple stops himself so he knows the install challenges.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    My problem with Montgomery is that he has no experience independent of Briles (who essentially developed the offense at Stephenville) or out of the state of Texas. He may have a good system, but it will be starting from scratch in terms of different personnel, different competition, different recruiting targets, etc., without the benefit of showing he can do it on his own.

Norvell makes much more sense to me, not only because he has run the offense on his own alongside Graham at multiple stops, but their system can also take far greater advantage of some of the Boise elements that I know Muschamp wants to keep in terms of the alignment shifts, unbalanced lines, heavy packages, and inverted wishbone/pistol stuff.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
  7. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Montgomery has been there six years, so he 1) should know what he is doing 2) want the chance to prove he is his own man. Along with the OLine Coach, Clements (sp), these are not kids and they have worked together a very long time. Baylor coaches also opens up Texas recruiting a bit more and I feel a bit better with OC's that face B12 D's over PAC 10, which is only a half step down from Arena Football.
  8. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    The whole coaching staff at Fresno makes about $1.9 million, and DeRuyter takes up $700K of that. That leaves a pot of $1.2 million for all of the assistants. That puts Schramm most likely around $200-225K, assuming that he and the DC get about double of what the position coaches make.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
    One of the things I really like about Norvell was that he has installed the offense at different stops. We dont have time for a 3 year transition.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    Nice on the Arena Football. Not entirely sure PAC 10-11-12-whatever is that much ahead of Big 12 football, but Norvell has experience working in multiple leagues.

On the Texas issue, as someone who lived for about five years very close to Montgomery's native Eastland, I can tell you that native Texans like Briles and Montgomery (or my wife) are loathe to leave the state. He is far more likely to ascend to a job in the Big 12 or an in-state school than he is to take a position at Florida. Plus, I highly doubt Florida would spend much of its time recruiting Texas. Unless you absolutely camp in an area for an extended period of time the way programs outside of Texas in the Big-12 or traditionally elite programs like ND, Michigan, and others have in the past, it is just too hard to draw these kids away from in-state schools. You might get one or two occasionally, but not enough to merits that factoring into the equation.
  11. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Question for you rserina, since I believe you have coaching experience and seem to know a lot about coaching strategy:

Do we have the players in place, especially on the OL, to pick up and run Norvell's offense right away? I assume at QB, we're in decent shape with Driskel. But what about the current OL, RBs and WRs? Are they a good fit for this type of offensive system?

And how difficult of a learning transition would Norvell's style of offense be compared to what Pease has tried to run? I'm sure the players won't master it right away but from where they are now, should this be a transition to a new offensive system or will this be like starting from scratch for most of these kids.

Second question would be what kids on our roster do you think would most benefit from this style of offense? My guess is Driskel for one.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    No, I have no coaching experience. I am just a fan like you guys.

From what I understand of the ASU stuff, as well as Mahlzan's system that Norvell adapted, we would be fine. There will be an adjustment period, no doubt (which I know our fans won't like, but...) .They seem to use a diversity of alignments and personnel packages, mostly out of shotgun spread with an emphasis on the run (lots of zone read, sprint option, etc). Here is an interview where he breaks it down: http://arizonastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1320523&PT=4&PR=2

Driskel no doubt. We've discussed this frequently, but one of the real dilemmas facing the staff coming into this year was how to use Driskel's mobility without risking injury because of uncertain depth behind him. So, we didn't run him at all against Toledo, then tried to incorporate some of it in the Miami game, but he got dinged in the second half and we junked it there going forward. Then Murphy steps up and proves to be very good running and throwing, but we again couldn't risk injury--which of course happened anyway. With two experienced quarterbacks who are both effective running the ball, I suspect both would stand to benefit greatly.

Taylor I think would tear it up in that system given his shiftiness. So would Cook if he still found his way to Gainesville. I think Kent Taylor could have a new lease on life. Same with Demarcus Robinson, Alvin Bailey, Debose. But that is all premature right now.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    Update on this: no dice. Different Norvells.
  14. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I too think Norvell is a strong possibility. It fits both time frames we have heard. 2 weeks would have made sense because of the conference championship game ASU is playing. Now, if Norvell wants to coach through the bowl game, I could see them having agreed to terms, but waiting until after the bowl game to announce. Why? Because this is a huge bowl game for ASU, especially if they win the conference (Rose Bowl). It would be too historic to create a distraction by announcing Norvell after the championship game if ASU pulls out a "W." ASU playing in the Rose Bowl would be akin to us playing for a National Championship. Remember how flat FSU was the year that Richt was announced as the new head coach of UGA.

Would be great to get Norvell.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  15. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +498
    My bad. I though you had mentioned being a high school coach.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    From the article

When Lane Kiffin elevated him from quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator to offensive coordinator a year ago, he said Helton had other offers to become the offensive coordinator at two top-five programs...

Because kiffin is so trustworthy?
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
    idk anything about that. What I do know is I dont want this thread to turn into a Lane Kiffin thread
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. sevmonster

sevmonster Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
  20. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    Interesting but I'll pass this on for what it's worth. I was listening to Larry Vettel this morning who is very well connected to UF and he was asked who he thought would be hired as OC. He said like everyone a good guess might be Al Borges who is Michigan's OC. Why? Because Muschamp worked with him side by side when the two of them were at Auburn and Muschamp and Borges stay in touch. Vettel said Borges would work well with the skill set of Driskel and the read option offense. The other reason is the fact Brady Hoke does not give anyone job security and Borges would most likely take a 3 year pay guarantee to leave Michigan and come to Gainesville.

"Borges joined the Auburn staff in 2004. Auburn went 41-9 in the four seasons Borges was the offensive coordinator. Auburn was the only Southeastern Conference (SEC) team to finish ranked in the top 15 each of those seasons.[3] Borges is credited with much of the success of the 2004 Auburn Tigers football team which recorded a perfect 14-0 season under his "Gulf Coast Offense" scheme. Borges resigned from Auburn December 10, 2007, after a steady decline in the team's offensive production, before the team's appearance in the New Year's Eve Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Borges has been described as "one of the best offensive coordinators I've ever seen," by former Auburn head coach Pat Dye."
    • Informative Informative x 2