My take on the Memphis game

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by fortmyersgator, Dec 18, 2013.

1. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    First off a great game, exactly what makes college hoops so fun.

Both teams played well and made tons of beautiful plays and shot well against good defense.

Billy coached it flawlessly. He held off pressing to slow down the pace and not let the Tigers get into wide open mode..a controlled pace favored us as Patick's muscle in the paint was something they just could not match.

Finney-Smith was big and his play made the difference in the game. If he can continue to play at that level and improve as we go along we are in good shape.

Kasey Hill's iniative to drive to the hoop is great to see. He got stuffed a few times early but kept at it and made a crucial lay up down the stretch. Dribble drive is the best offense.

Free throw and 3 pt shooting was on in this one. Overall skill on this team is above avg. Again Billy made a nice decision to hold Young out late so they could not foul him. If he can get his FT percentage up that will be a big plus for us.

Lastly I loved that humility and focus the team displayed. No one panicked when Memphis made their runs, no one blew up over a bad call, no one over celebrated or taunted after a nice score. Pleasure to see..maybe CWM should send his footballers over to see how it is done.

Looking forward to the start of league play.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I agree totally on Kasey - he seems to always be moving a little faster than anybody else on the court, and it gives our offense an extra gear when he's out there. He's just super comfortable playing at full speed with the ball in his hands and pushing the tempo. He's still a little ways away from figuring out how to be effective all the time against college players, but he's learning fast and when he gets there it's going to be an awesome ride. There are moments where he just slices through defenders like it's a layup drill - can't wait to see those moments become full-game performances.
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I agree, but I did have two gripes. . . both relating to coaching. Yes, even I am capable of being critical of Billy.

1) I did not like the decision to go zone when we were up 10 and Memphis had 4 guards on the court. They blew us out of this very quickly, and got right back into the game. The timing of this decision seemed poor from a personnel standpoint.

2) We have to be better at getting the ball into the hands of our free throw shooters down the stretch. . . namely, Frazier. He did not touch the ball during those waning seconds when a Memphis quick foul was assured.
  4. GreenNNScaly

GreenNNScaly Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Yep I think it was the 1-3-1 that we went to and Memphis made a shambles of it in the blink of an eye.

Prather should have been on the receiving end of the inbounds when they were fouling. He was money at the line down the stretch. Scottie and Will not so much.

Scottie has improved by leaps and bounds but missing the free throw at the end (opposite of what Taurean Green would have done) could easily have cost us that game.
  5. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Billy was not flawless. He almost cost us the game by having them double/triple team the post everytime. That was a horrible game plan and resulted in about half of memphis' 3s and about 5 dunks.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    Many of those were miscommunications by the bigs, often when Young was out of the game. Most coaches don't call for triple teaming in the post--or more accurately, for both post players giving help on baseline action, which is happened more than once.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380

I was going to jump on and join discussion last night but fell asleep at halftime.....

at halftime I was going to comment on the 1-3-1 zone which was being just torn apart by Memphis in the first half. If he employed any zone in the second half other than a 2-3 for BRIEF periods it would be a mistake. We matched up very well against them man to man and that's when we made our runs.

From what I saw in the first half Memphis had obviously prepped for the 1-3-1 extensively, had the personel to exploit it, and did so every way possible.

If Billy kept trying it in the second half, then he was putting his players in a position to fail.....
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    No one is perfect, and Billy D has made numerous coaching errors through the years in close games that have cost the Gaotors. Nothing new there. His overall coach in great, however, but not Xs and Os.

Great to see a close win, but it really shouldn't have been close at the end, once again.
  9. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Not a matter of perfect or not perfect. The point is that it was obvious that Memphis was WELL prepared for the 1-3-1, has the perfect personnel to exploit it with an experienced, competent back court, and a high/low post game with Goodwyn and Nichols.

Sometimes your "ace in the hole" is not there.....Billy should've seen that and scratched it from the second half game plan. Memphis was shredding it with ease.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    No coach is ever "flawless," but you guys really accentuate the negative sometimes. The 1-3-1 should work very well when you have a length advantage, as we did all game long, and it still enables you to put ball pressure on Jackson to keep him from getting easy penetration. It also protects you against foul trouble on the perimeter, which was what we had in the first half with Wilbekin and Frazier. Plus, Memphis has been a terrible shooting team, so it a risk you can take. But our wings didn't identify Crawford and Nixon well and got sucked in to the action on the opposite side of the court, which Memphis exploited with their outstanding ball movement.

I would have to see the last two minutes again, but much depends upon who is inbounding the ball and how they are pressuring, how we are spaced, etc. In the last foul against Wilbekin, they had a trap on and were not trying to foul immediately. I would much rather see the ball in Wilbekin's hands against that then Frazier's or Prather's. He just needs to hit those foul shots, especially the front end. If it were a four+ point game and you knew an immediate foul was coming rather than pressure, then I could see us getting the ball to Frazier immediately, but some of you act as if we should somehow concede that Wilbekin won't hit those free throws. He has attempted all of 15 shots this year in five games. A little early to ditch the same basic strategy nearly every team nationally uses of inbounding to your best ball handler.
  11. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    since they were breaking us down off the dribble, i think billy was conceding the three for a bit to see if they would miss a few and we could have opened up a big lead.
  12. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +380
    I understand what the 1-3-1 is supposed to accomplish. The point is that (and it really isn't disputable) IT WASN'T WORKING!

Memphis was obviously well prepared for it and has the personnel to execute.

Mind you, I didn't watch the second half. But in the first half Memphis was getting easy shots within 5-10 seconds of the half court set. They were beating it with absolute ease.

Now, if they were running it to protect guys in foul trouble in the second half, I can appreciate that. But again, not having watched the second half. From what I saw in the first, when we had something like an 8-9 point lead which evaporated in about 2 minutes, if the same thing happened again in the second half under the same circumstances. Then we are not over-accentuating a negative if that decision was a repeated mistake that almost cost the game.
  13. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    I hated seeing 5 of our guys compact the lane and try to guard 1 guy driving the lane which allowed wide open looks. Plus they were so compacted that if a shot came off the rim, we were not in the best place to rebound. Stay disciplined.

2 areas have always been a concern for me and it's more than likely coaching.

1 is the refs. We seem to more times than not get the majority of bad calls. I can't explain it and I think I have a fairly unbiased view but the past 3 years, we have had a large number of games where the refs did us no favors. It's almost as if refs have it in for Billy. Or maybe he doesn't ride them enough? I don't know but it has had a huge impact on games.

2 is by far our horrible free throws. It seems every game, every year we are a poor free throw shooting team. It's like they don't care. We especially kill ourselves on front ends of 1&1's, which is a double whammy. What has Billy done to address this? Bring in a free throw coach, physic, voodoo priest. I don't care, just get it fixed.

If we improve in just the slightest in these areas, we will have a team that is very hard to beat.
  14. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Interesting comments. Perhaps my use of the word flawless overstates it. After the total disaster that was football I am going to enjoy this hard fought win and not worry too much about the defense Billy uses..he knows what he is doing and the game winner was a rejection block. Just a very well played and enteraining game.
  15. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +380
    The most important take away for me from this game is that we now have the quality out of conference wins that should assure us a #1 seed if we win the SEC.

If we didn't get 2 wins out of the Wis, UConn, Kansas, and Memphis we would be looking at a 2 seed at best no matter what we did for the rest of the season in the SEC and SEC tourney.

Now we have a legitimate chance to earn a #1 seed. I know it's forward thinking. But it's relevant.
  16. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    This is the scenario I am referring to. I am not looking for Frazier to dribble the ball up the court, but Memphis faced immediate foul situations, and Frazier was not even on the screen. I would like to have seen him as an option when fouls were imminent. I would not concede Scottie missing those, but I don't think he has ever been a statistically strong free throw shooter. I may be wrong on that, though.
    Regardless, there were a couple times I would like to have seen MFIII step to the stripe.

I would dispute that suggestion that in immediate foul situations teams universally throw in to the best ball handler as opposed to best free throw shooter.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    What I said was the opposite: if it were not an immediate foul situation, then you give the ball to your best handler to preclude losing it in case they press/trap rather than foul. If it were an immediate foul situation, then you don't have to worry about ball handling because they will foul as soon as the ball is inbounded.
  18. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I would have to re-watch, but I do not recall a trap here. I recall a very quick, aggressive effort to get a reach around steal... but the result was an obvious foul. Memphis was not going to let much time expire here.
  19. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Ok. Well, then we agree.
    Again. . . I would have to re-watch, but we seem to have a different perspective on the foul to Scottie. You may be right, but I do not recall a trap. . . nor do I think Memphis had any intention to let the clock belled at all there. I think Frazier could have gotten the ball and not even had to dribble before he would have been slapped.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I haven't rewatched it either, but I think they were setting up the trap and Wilbekin got around it. Regardless, the point is that there was enough time left that they didn't have to foul immediately, but had time to trap once or twice before fouling in an attempt to steal the ball. In those situations, the coach has to weigh the worst-case scenario (turnover in the backcourt) against another lesser evil (missed free throws). You can debate the course of action, but I don't think you can attribute the decision to some sort of "flaw" just because the outcome wasn't ideal. There is an element of human error involved.

Same thing with the 1-3-1. If Donovan had stubbornly stuck with it for the remainder of the half despite it not working, then it might be a "flaw." But to try something that A) has worked in the past and B) strategically could work provided the wings find Crawford and not cheat on him when the ball goes to the opposite half of the court is not a coaching flaw. It is an execution flaw which, if left uncorrected or unchanged, would become a coaching flaw.
    • Winner Winner x 1