My son starts high school ball this next year....hasn't hit his growth spurt yet...

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,869
    They are starting workouts next monday. I am concerned with this growth plates and the working out thingie since he is a pitcher. Any help would be awesome as usual. Also with him being a lefty....he has 5 pitches that he can throw for strikes....changeup, 2 seam, 4 seam, slider, curve. He rarely throws the slider and curve ball due to him not "having hair on his chest yet." He wants to learn how to throw a sinker but I have heard that is hard on kids as well and then I hear there is no stress if they throw it right. He turned 14 last week. When he does hit his growth spurt, I am think he will be around 6' 2-3" ish and about 230? He's 5' 9" now and 150. Also if I took him to a work out and taped his pitching session, do you guys think that somebody on the UF staff will critique him for me and give some tips for him to get better?

Also, this past spring he was the #2 pitcher for the middle school team and he ended up with 3 wins and 2 losses. What I don't understand is that in the 7 games he pitched 2 teams tore him up and he would get pulled but the other 5 couldn't touch him? He gave up on average about 2 runs per game. He did better closing. I don't think anybody scored on him when he came in to close. His average pitch count per inning was 15 this past spring as well. I hope this helps, I just need help on getting him better so he can come to Gainesville to pitch for our Gators. : )
  2. wrl344

wrl344 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +231
    Put him out there and turn him loose.
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    Don't know but I think they still run a baseball camp for youth at UF. My oldest son used to go to the camp back in the 80s, untill he got into trouble one summer and Joe Arnold asked him to not come back. Just kidding he wasn't banned but we got a bill for some broken dorm windows and I thought it best not to send him back the next summer.

A lot of colleges have showcases for high school aged kids. My youngest used to attend them at UCF. The coaches and players work with them and if they are good enough it is a good chance to catch a coaches eye.
  4. TheBoss

TheBoss New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Do you have any reason to think the kid has potential to play pro or even high level college? Did the older brother get a sports scholly or are there other athletes in the bloodlines? If not, keep him involved with sports, but wait patiently for him to mature physically, but don't over-pressure him.

Age 14-15 is ripe for doing harm to his attitude about baseball in particular and sports in general and certainly for ruining his arm. If he has a future as a pitcher, too much pitching early is the worst thing he can do. He's too young for you to know if he'll be a pitcher and there are far too many incompetent club team and HS JV coaches who'll ruin his arm if you let them. One thing I believe helps a baseball future is time in a batting cage.

My kid was in college before his body really matured and it kept him from getting the baseball chance he wanted, but he did make All-State as a soccer player in '02 and got a partial ride in college soccer. If we had forced the issue in baseball, it would have been worse for everyone. Well-rounded athletics is more fun. He also lettered in cross country and football and had a lot of fun with those.

Finally, good luck with getting advice from high level coaches, unless you're ready to pay for it. If you pay, be careful about the guys who'll take your $$$. One of the best things we did was hire a former Gator player who had just finished his eligibility to meet with my kid and a buddy for batting cage sessions. It really helped.
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,869
    I have him working with a UF grad now. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.