My opinion on the Toledo game yesterday

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Sep 1, 2013.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    First some stats:

Florida - 39:48
    Toledo - 20:12

Plays
    Florida - 70
    Toledo - 54

Rushing Yards
    Florida - 262 - 5.5 YPC
    Toledo - 50 - 3.1 YPC

3rd down:
    Florida - 6-12
    Toledo - 1-13

Muschamp put it all together for me in his post game press conference. He was worried about Toledo's offense, especially given that UF was down 2 DL in the rotation, missing his MLB, and his starter at corner. Given that, he wanted to control the clock and keep his defense off the field. They took a few shots downfield, but purposefully played it conservative to avoid having the D on the field and it showed. That is why UF was in complete control of the game from start to finish and they were never in any danger of losing the game.

Florida was efficient on offense in the first half, converted 50% of their third downs on the day, and most passes were right on the money and well timed, and Driskel would have had some sick stats on the day if not for a couple of drops, especially the one by Patton.

The only real concern that I had was again, pass protection on longer pass plays, which broke down on 2 of the 4 attempted longer pass plays that were called (that I noticed). The fact that both ended up making it to Driskel AND getting the ball on the ground was very concerning and they need to clean that up.

Also, I know it was crazy hot out there yesterday, but the team can't come out flat like that in the 3rd quarter, which was evident. 2 3 and outs against an offense like that could have been catastrophic, and that was the one point in the game where I was even just a little concerned.

One last concern was that Florida only had three drives over 50 yards, but that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Florida dominated the starting field position for most of the game. Special teams played well. I don't know if those kickoffs to the 10 were on purpose, but that was the only worry on ST. Christy wasn't putting a lot of power into his punts, and I believe that was because they did not want to give Reedy too much room to operate, although i can't say for sure. But coverage was great all day. Roberson is going to break one for a TD this year, and his 72 yards on returns really helped with field position all day (average starting FP was the 36 yard line).

Penalties were a little worrisome, and the DL needs to be coached up to watch for little tricks like that from centers, which aren't uncommon. The substitution penalty on the punt was on the refs, they didn't clearly declare play was ready.

All in all, I thought it was a good game, and I like what I saw. UF looks like a better all around team than last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    My biggest concern is fg kicking and penaltys. Other than that, we looked good today and JD looked very poised.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,427
    The flat start in the 3rd was frustrating but not too surprising the way we were controlling the game in the first half.

The silly controllable penalties and protection misses need to get cleaned up. Overall a good first game, though.

I'm really looking forward to getting the whole team back, seeing Jones at RB, and Morrison, Ball and RoPo together at LB, with Taylor rotating in. Ball looked really good fir his first playing time inside. He addresses one of my concerns with this defense - LBs in coverage.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    Well said OG.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    Can't disagree with any of your points, Slayer. With Halapio out the first two weeks and Green gone for the year, it occurred to me yesterday that we had four new starters on the offensive line. Even though two of them had prior starting experience elsewhere, it will still take some time to gel. But part of our problem in pass protection is still the lack of receiver separation. The sooner the freshmen can came along, the better on that score.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,543
    Special team was a concern for me. That missed field goal was bad. We need a better person for Kick off return IMO. I dont know what was up with those punts either.

The other major concern was all of those unnecessary penalties
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,933
    Field goal kicking IS a big concern.
    Close games could kill us this year.
  8. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    First game jitters for the kicker. I think the D will be fine with everyone back on board. The O line is the one issue that needs to come together soon. The running backs are awesome-every one of them. We need another TE to step up to play in a two TE set. This can be a very special team.
  9. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Two defensive lineman? Cummings and who?
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    I think he meant Jacobs, who was limited but did play.
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,427
    A legit dual threat TE would add a lot to this offense.

Agree with others on needing the kicker to be solid. Hopefully just jitters as you say.

Also agree this can be a special team. Looking forward to next Saturday.
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Thx
  13. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    I thought Roberson looked good.
  14. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Yeah, the kicking game, i forgot to mention, he was 1-2, and made his PAT's. Sturgis would sometime miss under 40 as well, it happens. I won't worry about the kicker until we have a bigger sample size.

I was a little worried about the punts, but again, until I see a bigger sample size I won't worry. it's hard to know if it was strategic or a weak leg.

Also coverage was good on KO and Punt teams.
  15. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Good point. it's true we had a lot of new faces on offense yesterday. I really do think the offense is going to be better this year.
  16. Judoka

Judoka New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Driskel was efficient, and didn't really utilize his greatest strength- running the ball. His two fumbles are concerning, though. On one he seemed to look right at the player coming free, then proceeded to hold the ball and stand flat footed before being sacked and fumbling.
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,297

They were pulling us off-sides on several plays too. Did you notice the Toledo center was jerking his left arm up in a quick motion before he snapped the ball with his right?

It pulled us offsides a few times.
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,427
    Brown should have picked up that block - that's what JD expected to happen, so he was going through his progressions trying to make a play. Can't ding him for that.

Holding the ball higher and tighter to his head is something we probably want to see though.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    Muschamp said after the game that we had a lot of read stuff in the plan, but Driskel wasn't supposed to take his option. I suspect that was to make Miami commit to the back so Driskel could take off. At any rate, he said Driskel ran more than he should have and you can tell he was a little hesitant in the open field because he wasn't supposed to be running. I expect some of the zone reads and even sprint option stuff will be an important change up for us this year when teams start run blitzing on early downs.

I can't seem to remember many instances of Driskel losing the ball in the pocket last year, but my memory could be failing me. That leads me to believe the lost handles were anomalies resulting from his first encounter with pressure this year and not a mechanics issue.