My observations on Today's game

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BobbyGator72, Aug 31, 2013.

1. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Made some observations during the game and thought I would post them to see if others agreed/disagreed with them.

• Defense played fast. I think we have a chance to be just as good as last year
    • Easley looded really good
    • Secondary played a lot of loose coverage, overall we were very vanilla on Defense
    • All of the backs ran hard, we were close to breaking a couple but got tripped up
    • I worry we will continue to be Ultra conservative on Offense
    • Adagbe played well
    • Jeff looked better, he still needs to improve his pocket awareness but he took what they gave him and made some nice throws
    • Christy was only average today, Hardin was inconsistant.. Kickoffs where short today, not sure if that was by design or not
    • Neiron Ball looked good
    • Execution was ok.. Consistant with a first game and the fact we had to revamp our line midweek (that is bigger than most people realize)
    • We still have way too many penalties
    • D played exceptional on 3rd down
    • Burton is the face of Gator Football

Bring on Miami!!!
  2. toddsevans

toddsevans Gators3397 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Good assessment. Our offense will be better and our defense could be better. Glad to have football back!!!!!
  3. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    Agagbe looks to be the most athletic FB we've had in a very long time. Easley looked good as did Ball. All of the RBs looked good. I was very pleased with Riggs' tackling as well as the coverage by all the DBs most of the game. Defense will get even better when Morrison and Purifoy get back, plus the young defensive players showed lots of promise which makes me think that before the season is over, they will be a dominating unit like last year's D. Thought the receivers looked pretty good with the exception of Patton missing one that would've been a big gain. OL was so-so. Christie wasn't even average today. He had one that was over 50 yds due to a great bounce, but most of his punts not so much. PK missed what should have been a gimme. Could have been nerves. Penalties cost us a TD. Overall, could have been better, but also could've been worse. I don't think the conservative offense is going to get it done every week like it did last year. Hopefully, what we saw today on offense isn't what we will see every week, but I thought that last year and not much changed throughout the season offensively. Need to be much better next week than we were today.
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133
    It was close to what I expected, just doing what we needed to do to win, and just let me say, it was just so fun to ride down and enjoy a Gator game in The Swamp again and even the weather was pretty mild considering.

That said, when the Gator D holds an opponent to 1 of 13 on third downs like they did to Toledo today, there's no reason to get fancy.
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    I was pretty pleased by what all I saw.
    thought the play calling was good and execution crisp on that opening drive.
    too many penalties w/ the DLine jumping.
    Easley had some 'sapp-like' [to use a Miami reference] plays shooting the gap. disruptive.
    dropped pass was big. missed blitz pickup was big as we were going vertical.
    D was swarming.
    liked what I saw from the OLine too.
    RB's ran hard.
    I think our WR's will be improving a lot thru the season.
    we might have a potent weapon at FB.
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

Personally, I thought Bullard and Orr appeared to be the most disruptive today. Orr is special too IMO. That guy is blazing fast for a DT. Glad we have him for one more year after this one. I honestly believe he could be an NFL first-rounder after his senior season.

Humphries needs to stop taking plays off and the WR's could hold onto the ball better, but overall, the offense looked better with exception of the third quarter.
  7. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    we had over 400 yards of offense while playing with a back up rb, and and walk on at rb.

it was everything we could really ask for. we double Alabama's offense
  8. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Bama had 11 first downs today.

Today was a good day. Lots of young players played, no major injuries, we had two long drives, played good defense, and we won. All against a team that had 19 returning starters. Good first game.
  9. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Except for the penalties, Jeff's two fumbles, the missed block that contributed to the first one, and Patton's drop it was all good.
  10. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Sorry to be Debbie Downer but I think our offense is still stuck in the mud.

I hope I'm wrong.
  11. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    It was not to bad. Our offense has problems when we don't execute.
    In the third qtr, brown was tired and we had drops and penalties which killed our drives.
    I think we are improved from the previous years.
    Just need to rotate our RB better, brown was gassed in the second half.
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +759
    I thought it was ok today, to me the offense did look better. We still have a long way to go on O but as long as we are winning I can't bitch to much.
  13. Zanso

Zanso Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    You have to look at the level of competition. Toledo has one of the worst defenses in the nation (100+ last year) where as VT was 24th last year.

That's a pretty significant difference, especially considering Toledo doesn't play the greatest offenses. We'll see how it goes against the better defenses, but I think our offense looks better as we struggled against bad defenses last year and didn't really seem to struggle moving the ball today. The one thing that worries me is that we had trouble finishing in the red zone again and don't have Sturgis to guarantee 3 points anymore so our red zone offense needs to improve.
  14. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    First game - relax. Defense will be top 5. Special teams will be solid.

Driskel, Dunbar, Patton, Robinson, Jones, Joyer, Burton, Brown, Showers will provide a solis core of production. The Oline will gel and get the job done.

There will be no team we can't beat, and few we can't lose to. That's life in the SEC and every week is a wonderful trip.
  15. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +550
    His name is GIDEON AJAGBE..
  16. WDGator

WDGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    If I recall correct, just after the dropped pass by Patton, we turned it over dropping back to pass.
  17. magnafides

magnafides Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Thank you. Tired of this comparison.
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    Last year I wondered why we didn't move the pocket some or roll Driskel out more, especially on downs staff should know were going to be hard rushes. He'll probably spend a good portion of the season getting hammered behind the LOS. Teams are just going to hard-rush a QB like Driskel in our scheme.
  19. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    First, this 2013 team would crush the 2012 from Opening Day last year. So that is good.

Second, I see maturity from older players and more quality depth, so another good season should be expected.

Finally, my issue is the we have the exact same problems this year that we did last year. Penalties, Poor Pass protection and lack of big plays on O. Fix two of those three, and UF could have a top 5 team.