My Downsizing Project

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    I'm going to sell my bar and roughly 300 lbs. of plates, to be replaced by kettlebells. First up will be a 53-pounder, followed perhaps by a couple of lighter bells. Ideally, I'd like to be able to store all the equipment I'll ever need, for myself and my clients, in a roughly 5' by 5' space.

This is part-and-parcel of a larger plan to de-clutter and hopefully de-stress my life a bit. I'm tossing about 90% of the printed material I've stored and giving away about two-thirds my clothing.

Also, I'll probably deactivate my facebook, have already dropped texting and am turning off my cellphone for hours a day.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Sounds like a good plan mostly. About 10 months ago now I put all of my things in storage while I was trying to figure out where my final landing spot would be once I left DC. I still have not returned to retrieve them and not only have I forgotten most of what is in there I have not missed a thing. Makes you realize how much junk you collect.

I also totally understand the desire to declutter the connections you have however, I would consider some of those things tools of your trade and would think they could help you gain more business.

Maybe deactivating your personal facebook is good but having a professional one would be a good idea. Also, I went through a time when I was shutting off my phone entirely for the Shabbat once a week. It was very therapeutic, though my observance ebbs and flows and lately my phone is never off.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    Thanks for the feedback. And yes, almost everybody is urging me to expand on social media rather than cutting back. I think I'm going to play that part by ear. It there is a great clamor for it - and if it's something I can pull off with very little maintenance - then maybe it would make good sense. Ideally, as or if I begin to prosper, I may just have someone manage it for me.

I can tell you that I don't mind using simple canvassing as my primary marketing approach. It keeps me on my feet and meeting people face-to-face.

Incidentally, the average American has TRIPLED his/her living space the last 50 years. And STILL, as you pointed out, that's not enough. The storage facility has become a billion-dollar industry.
  4. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    Nice! I have a love/hate relationship with kettlebells - love the variety of dynamic nature of many of the movements. Also love the workout and the fact that it gasses me as well as really working the muscles. Also love having well-developed forearms and grip. And the price is good for the variety of movements you can use.

But MAN can they make you sore.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    Bossa, any advice on where to get my kettlebells ? My local 'used' sporting goods store wants $100 for a 53-pounder! I've seen them on ebay for little more than half that amount.

I want to start with the 53 and then eventually add a 44 and a 35. My reasoning is that I need the 53 for swings but could do more movements if I had some lighter ones as well.
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,444
    remember this Dream it may be cheaper on the ebay but then you have to ship it and that may equal what you would pay locally.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    Do you think $100 is reasonable for a 53-pounder ? Play It Again Sports said they'd pay me $25 for the 250 lbs. of plates I'm aiming to get rid of. So, that would have me paying $75 for the kettlebell.

In any case, I think I could make do with a 53-pounder for awhile. Swings would build up rapidly. But at my weight, snatches, presses, TGU's, etc. would be a challenge.
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,444
    100 dollars sounds high to me. also 25 for 250 lbs of plates is a rip off thats 10 cents a pound. in good condition you should no less then 35 to 45 cents per pound. If they are beat up or standard plates then you would get less.

I would hunt around the net you could find free shipping if you buy several at once
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,698
    Gotcha. And thanks for the heads-up on the plates pricing. I suppose it didn't register as a ripoff because, well, I came by the weights for free. So, it sounded like a $25 profit to me. :grin:
  10. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    I got mine from multiple sources - local Sports Authority, and clearance sales at Rogue Fitness and Again Faster. I'd check those latter two websites from time (www.roguefitness.com & http://www.againfaster.com to time as they will sometimes be liquidating stock and you can find them pretty cheap. There are also a bunch of other KB vendors on the web and deals to be had. Not sure if Dragon Door sells them or not. I also hear good things about the ones from Muscledriver.

I started with a 25#, 35#, and 53#. Later I added a 2-pood. Still thinking about getting a 44#. I haven't been doing as much KB work lately b/c I've been doing more running and rowing on my non-heavy days but I definitely need to work some KB work back in, at least once a week or so.