My brush yesterday with the narco squad(?)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by HallGator, Mar 30, 2014.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,056
    My wife and I had a previously scheduled meeting to go to yesterday evening so after watching a little of the game I tore myself away from the TV and proceeded to go get her. My wife was over at an apartment bldg visiting and I told her I would pick her up on the way. As I left our house I sent her a text letting her know I was on the way. Although I cut it as closely as possible I still allowed plenty of leeway to arrive on time so I was in no big hurry. My wife, in the meantime, walked out of the apartment parking lot and crossed the residential street where she was standing on the corner as I came up. She thought she would save me pulling in and having to turn around. As she walked across the street a cop in an unmarked car went past her and she threw up her hand in a wave as he went by which is not unusual for her.

Now my wife was dressed in jeans and a pull-over shirt and has a leg brace on due to a fall at work and subsequently breaking her knee cap. I say this because she was in no way dressed in a manner that would draw unwarranted notice such as some type of skimpy clothing. As she crossed the street I came up and stopped. She got into the car and I immediately turned right to go over to the next street and back out to main road. As I did I saw the cop do a u-turn in the road and head back in our direction. I could tell it was a cop car even though it was unmarked. When he got to the street we had turned on to he then more or less whipped in behind us and at that time I told my wife we were going to get stopped more than likely. She asked what for and I told her because el-coppo thought he had witnessed something untoward happening. Keep in mind that it was still fully daylight and we did nothing at all to arouse suspicion other than my stopping for her to get in the truck. The same truck with tool boxes on it that I work out of.

Since I felt he was looking for a reason to do a stop I used my turn signals, stopped at the white line before the stop sign, went over the speed bump at the posted 5 MPH and when I got to the main road I even swung into the nearest lane of the four lane road before using my turn signals to move over into the outside lane. I slowed as we went through two major intersections and most certainly did not speed. Said cop followed me for almost a mile where I turned to go up the street that would take us to the church where the meeting we were going to was taking place. (break to make it easier to read)

As I turned on the street he hit me with his lights and turned on the siren for a blast. As I was almost to the church and it was a narrow road going uphill with sort of steep ditches on the side I turned into the parking lot and immediately pulled over and stopped Kept my hands in full site as I took my license out and sat there waiting for him to come up. The lot had a lot of cars in it and many people were still arriving and standing outside so they were looking to see what happened.

As he approached the truck I immediately asked him why he had stopped me. He told me if I would give him time he was going to tell me and he proceeded to inform me I had run two stops signs (by the way one street he named I was not even on and there was no stop sign at it where it intersected the street we were on ). I replied I had not run any stop signs. He started telling me about the little white lines in front of them and before he could get through I said I had stopped at the lines and I knew the law on where to stop. He was getting pissed as I could tell and told me his camera recorded all of it and more or less started letting me know he could make it harder on me. I told him to do whatever he felt he needed to but I sure as heck didn't agree I had run two stop signs nor did any other thing to warrant being stopped. I then made the comment I knew he was looking for an excuse as soon as he pulled in behind me and he told me that was correct as he worked with the narcotics division and there was known activity in that area.

I will honestly say I was not being very nice to him and didn't particularly give a damn whether he liked it or not. Neither was I being threatening or cursing or any other thing along that line. He then asked for my wife's ID and I told him she was my wife which seemed to set him back a bit. She give it to him along with our insurance card and registration he asked for. He then asked if we had any warrants, or were on probation or or parole. I told him we sure weren't and I neither smoked, drank, nor did drugs so I felt he was generally doing nothing but harassing me. That didn't sit well with him either.

He took our IDs back and ran then and just seemed to be sitting in his car staring at me for almost ten minutes. Of course we came back clean just like I told him and when he returned he told he was going to do me a favor and not write me a $164 worth of tickets for running the stop signs. He also told me he was not one to get an attitude with and I just stared at him. As he walked off he told us to have a nice day and I just continued to look at him in the rear view mirror as he walked backed to his car not saying a word.

Needless to say we were late getting to a meeting I had been looking forward to for a very long time and one I was willing to forgo watching my beloved Gators play. As you can probably tell I am still ticked today about it. I guess it was because it put a bit of a damper on our evening for no real reason at all.

I am not trying to brag but I have not had a ticket of any kind in almost 25 years. When I took my son in to take his driving test a little over ten years ago the person who administered the test walked over to me afterwards and said they wanted to shake my hand because my son was one of the best he had ever ridden with.

Maybe I was wrong to get an attitude I don't know.

What I would like to hear if someone feels like adding something is what exactly are our rights when we get stopped in this manner? My wife really thought he was going to arrest me and it scared her.

Sorry for the long post it just helps to write it out.
  2. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +557
    Sounds like you ran into a Barney Fife mentality--only to get his bubble popped. I think you handled it well. Would be worth considering filing a complaint with the office he works for--county, city, etc.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,056
    Thanks sec, it has crossed my mind but I didn't know if I had any legitimate grounds for a complaint. He was with the city by the way.
  4. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +557
    Thanks why I said it "would be worth considering"--not knowing the law and how it can be manipulated so easily, IF it were something Hall was super ticked off about, then asking some legal eagle for advice would be the path. I also find it not really worth pursuing as the odds are he would never likely run into this officer again and best to just let it pass.
  5. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,056

You say they can arrest you What do you see in the things I wrote that would be grounds for an arrest?
  6. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,901
    You did fine. Cop could've made something up.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,864
    I got my first ticket since 1991 this past October- I had my cruise set at 74 in a 65 so yes I was speeding on a 4 lane divided hiway 14 miles west of 95 in Palm Beach County- There were no vehicles anywhere to be seen except for the Deputy Sheriff- Guy came up and asked me what my hurry was-when I told him I had the cruise set at 74 because I was under the impression they usually gave a 10 mile an hour buffer he told me today was my lucky day as he needed a certain amount of tickets that day and I was the first vehicle he had seen in the last 90 minutes. Pissed me off but I kept my mouth shut signed for the ticket and left. I understand how you felt Hall but unfortunately they hold the power
    • Like Like x 2
  8. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,905
    like jd said, even if you have grounds for a complaint, you don't want to do that. i had an issue with one a few years ago, from a speeding ticket in my mustang, and he did some really reportable stuff. husband wouldn't let me, saying 'you work in this town. you report one, they'll all be watching/waiting for you. they're too powerful'
    its so very very unfair. and they are WAY too powerful.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,056
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's what I believe but have no proof of. I think the reason the cop stayed in his car for so long was because he was contemplating whether he could write me a ticket and I would just pay it and then let it go. I also don't think his video evidence was that good, although his word might have sufficed, and he knew it. I sure don't think he did it because I was his favorite person of the week nor do I think he was doing me some kind of favor. The problem with a dash mounted camera is that it would have to show me not stopping short of the line. Now my bumper might have been a few inches past the edge of the line but as I posted initially I know what the law is and while I can swear I did not get on it a little for the most part I stopped well short of going across it. Bottom line is I think he was concerned I would fight the ticket( which I would have) and he might lose. That wouldn't look so good when all the other things were taken into consideration.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,661
    :)

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Sorry to hear that you encountered "one of them." But at the end of the day, I always try to remember that cops are wired differently and that is why they are motivated to that job whereas the regular folk wouldn't even consider it. I always fault the police administration first because they are the ones who understand that kind of person and what to look for in chinks in the armor. And on top of it all, our current base disrespect for authority and the ability to shoot one without any provocation has to put each and every one of them in an agitated state.

And I would hope that they are teaching them how to profile people. I have been stopped twice for non-events and in both instances the patrolman (or deputy in the other) quickly ascertained that their ideas were unwarranted. So I prefer to try and diffuse the situation and empathize with their possible outcomes than try to "state my rights." JMHO
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    Hall - I would report the matter to the police chief in just the manner you set it out in your post. Without feedback from citizens who have encounters with their officers, chiefs have very little information with respect to what is actually happening in citizen-officer contacts. It may be that your letter/email will get tossed in the trash (or recycle bin) - but it may be information that will be helpful to the chief in training his/her officers.

If this particular officer has multiple complaints about his interaction with citizens it could also result in corrective action.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,920
    I agree with Big Croc. Send the letter to the chief of police and the mayor of the city. I would include that you are not looking for anything or want any further action to be taken, just that you want them aware of the situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Since bad police behavior is continually excused and routinely dismissed, unfortunately this will probably become a more common occurance.
  15. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +766
    I agree with JDR's first post; not much to add, just--grin and bear it, and respect the officer at the time of the stop, while not giving up anything, or surrendering your rights.

Though I agree with BigCroc's suggestion post as well rather than just not doing anything.

IMHO.

[Edit]--misread; thought the officer wrote up $164 ticket.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +766
    nm.
  17. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    It's situations like this that directly counter the school of thought that "if you're a law-abiding citizen, you have nothing to fear from the cops." The reality is that isn't always true: even normal, everyday actions can occasionally put one in the crosshairs of "reasonable suspicion."
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,422
    And of course you can't forget dropsy
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government all that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    My granddaddy taught me this in the '50's. A report to the city mgr. or mayor, at minimum please.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    That cop was trying to gin up a pretext to coerce you into allowing a search of your vehicle so he'll 'let you off.' Kudos for having none of it.
    • Agree Agree x 1