My assessment of WM is changing...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jan 15, 2014.

1. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +943
    Kiffin's scheme isn't drastically different from what Saban's teams have used over the years.
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,068
    I'd say Kiffin's style is more for the passing game to help open up his running game in a more spread out approach. Bama is known for wanting to establish a power running game to where kiffin wants his runners on the edge more or in space.
  3. ksagator

ksagator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    We had some success in terms of yardage prior to the injuries (e.g. at UM), but were undone by red-zone mistakes and turnovers generally. I have to think that a spread attack is a better fit for an athlete like Driskel who has size and speed but cannot make good pocket decisions. It also happens to be a good fit for the QB we have coming in.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    4-8, losses to our 3 biggest rivals, worst season in 3 decades, loss to a AA team. I'll start believing he can turn it around when I see it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. cedarkey_gator11321

cedarkey_gator11321 Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Some of the losses this year are inexcusable. Regardless of the injuries. And the "I called (zero) offensive plays this season" remark is a joke. He hired Pease and is responsible for every damn offensive play. Foley's folly.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ksagator

ksagator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Tough crowd. Some of his comments during the second half of the year pissed me off as well - and I was surprised he was retained. But we have a lot of kids coming back and a new, hopefully more competent, coordinator. I do expect us to 'turn it around' to some degree. The question is whether it will be enough.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. operamac

operamac Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    Apples to oranges only because they live in a craptastic conference where mediocre can win a championship. And let's not kid ourselves, that was a HORRIBLE team in so many ways until this last year. They looked like they had no idea what they were doing so many times. But, the administration stuck with him and look what they have now.

Get rid of WM now and all you will be doing is giving another big school a really good coach who learned some tough lessons and likely end up someplace where you will hate seeing his face coaching against us and kicking our ass.

If WM was just staying the course and not willing to make necessary changes to find that formula for success, then I would be very concerned. That is what bugged me about Zook. He took no responsibility and he thought he was on the right path the way he was going. That's definitely NOT a problem with Muschamp. Give him the time and as long as he is keeping the talent moving in our direction we will end up with a coach that stays the long haul and brings us multiple championships.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    I just hope he stops talking about "balance" on the offensive side of the ball. He's a defensive minded coach and he should stick to that side of the ball... leave the offense to Roper.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,334
    I would prefer him to say, "since I picked the last two OCs and suggested how we need to play O here, I am going to change and instead ask them to score as many points as they can." And "we need to evaluate our talent better on O" would also help, whether he believes that or not. He needs some better support.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1