Muschamp's philosophy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Wormwood56, Oct 28, 2013.

1. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    I've got it! Muschamp/Pease could throw everybody off and start going 5 wide, with TM in shot gun on every down. The OL can't block anyway, so might as well position the offense to get some big plays. We'd probably blow out Georgia with this approach. :smoke:
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    Muschamp has said multiple times that this is a LOS league and that he wants a team that is multiple on offense. That means he absolutely wants a team that can control the LOS with the run game, but can also stretch the field vertically and horizontally.

As Tilly noted, our problems on the OL are tying the offense down. We are also still lacking experienced, explosive playmakers on the offensive side of the ball.

As far as Bama goes, I am not sure why, but a lot of folks here seem to be under some delusion that they've been running a high powered offense since Saban got there. It took Saban until year four to get their offense together.

In 2007, they averaged 374ypg, 2008 - 356ypg, in 2009 - 403ypg.

Obviously with an elite defense, 400ypg is enough to win championships, but it wasn't until 2010 they started putting up more numbers on offense (430ypg or more since then). And Bama had solid OL's the whole time. They just started getting more explosive skill position players and better QB play.

While Bama always had RBs, OL and TEs, we're in a position of having to build up all position groups on offense.
  3. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,062
    My philosophy is win. I believe Muschamp's philosophy is the same. Give it time.
  4. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Nothing wrong with the philosophy as long as you score points on most of your possessions. And to score points the players have to execute, which they aren't all doing right now. And to execute you need good play-calling, which we perhaps aren't getting right now, and perhaps better players at key positions than we have right now, and perhaps better player development than we have right now.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a combination of things that have been going on for the last 4 years.
  5. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I'm not certain, but I think that was Zook's philosophy too. I'm not calling for Muschamp's head, but if passion to win were the only criteria, we'd be undefeated three years running.

The remainder of the season will show what Muschamp is made of. I know his desire is there, I just want to see if he can be a leader. A first time coach can't fall in love with his assistants. He has to assess performance of 1) his philosophy and 2) his coaches, and make changes where appropriate. To me, it's not a matter of IF changes need to be made, it's a matter of WHICH changes need to be made. 15 years in business has taught me that the only constant in being successful is change.
  6. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +1,062
    Yeah OK but in my opinion our strategy has been based on a considered judgment about what gives us the best chance to win, combined of course with building for the future. There are problems and concerns, but that is always going to be the case, the question is can the staff overcome the adversity on the field. And we'll have to wait for the answer.
  7. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    The OL excuse is just that, an excuse. Our OL was perfectly fine against Toledo, Miami, Tenn, and Kentucky, but we weren't offensive world beaters then.
  8. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +1,062
    Do you have the ability to see the game in front of your eyes? Because Tyler Moore was getting beat of the ball on every single passing down. The fact that he wasn't replaced for more than a half should tell you just how bad things have gotten.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Our offensive line was absolutely not perfectly fine against those teams.
  10. gatorvincent

gatorvincent Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    It would be interesting to break down, for teams that use an effective version of our offense, how often they attack the goal line when they do indeed enter the red zone.

I notice, in glaring fashion, that we rarely if ever attack the goal line with our passing game. This of course gets a bit harder as the field shrinks as you enter the red zone and the defenders can defend a smaller amount of the field, but in the last 2 games the only time the ball has crossed the goal line was in the hands of a runner. By not attacking the goal line, we self limit. It essentially allows the defender to defend the short field less the end zone as we always throw short.

The Miami game, 1 overthrown pass attempt to the end zone. LSU, 1 overthrown pass attempt to the end zone. Mizzou, I am not sure, but I would venture to say we did not throw to the end zone at all (either way it wasn't many times).

I see many other teams throw to the end zone multiple times per drive in a lot of games I watch.
  11. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Bama runs to set up play action and big play threat, which in turn opens up the running game. It's basic football.

We run to set up more running and short passes that are essentially runs.
  12. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Right. And to me when you have widespread issues like that, thats an indication that its a problem with the head coach. If one player can't see the field because he can't learn the playbook then so be it. But if you're having multiple issues like that whether it be can't pass protect, or block, or run the right route or avoid penalties and this is happening with handfuls of players, well then I'd say you need better coaching.
  13. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Its remarkable how little we throw the ball into the end zone. Trey Burton caught about a 10 yd pass in the back of the end zone against Kentucky, just FYI. But other than there hasn't been a whole lot, meanwhile teams are attacking the end zone multiple times just on a single drive alone like you said. There are so many tools offensively that we just do not have in our arsenal as compared to our peers. That's why I don't think we're really an FBS-type offense. And our ranking reflects that.
  14. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +425
    The run heavy, ball control offense obviously can work when paired with a great defense. It's not that the strategy cannot work. My concern is being able to field enough offense for this strategy to be effective.

Currently when we get behind in games it becomes a major issue because we cannot count on the offense being able to answer. In 2007 when OSU took the kick off back for a TD I didn't feel the sense of dread that I would today. I think most Gators believed we would win, and had confidence that the offense would respond. In my opinion the defense played so well that I feel they deserved a lions share of the credit for that win (not that it matters who deserves the credit...). Currently in my opinion, we could not over come such events due to the disparity between offense and defensive production. We have not demonstrated the ability to score points to match even average offenses. It is not only unfair to the defense but unsustainable to expect the defense to hold good offenses to 14 points a game to allow UF to have a chance to win.
    In my estimation the strategy is sound but more balance in recruiting effort as well as expected production is needed for success on the long term.

A theoretical example purely for illustration:
    UF in the future plays Oregon. The defense holds Oregon to 28 points (which would be no mean feat). Can we achieve the balance necessary to 30-35 points?
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    I think Muschamp may have been very direct when saying they need to simplify. It could be they were trying to teach too much, and not getting good at any particular aspect. That problem would only get amplified with the high volume of injuries and attrition since fall camp... and then trying to shuffle players to cover the problems on OL.

Do fewer things and do them all very well. Slowly add in when we know everyone's on the same page.
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,835
    Moore may as well have been in a Miami uniform in that game.
    Our Oline is thinner now as well.

Is some of that on the coaches? Sure.
    But its not due to "philosophy".

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  17. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    Do you? How many times did Moore get beat against Toledo?
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,835
    Well early on we kept turning it over in the red zone. That can clam up a play book pretty quick.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  19. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    That's why I get so tired of hearing people say "well you can't throw downfield when the QB is running for his life". Well what about when hes standing perfectly upright in the pocket? Its so easy to just blame it all on the line and just think when we get a whole new line (as if we're just going down to Target to pick one up) then we'll be fine. I really don't think so. Even when we have all day to throw our passing game is so elementary that we cannot take advantage and do much damage at all really.

IMO the scheme is flawed. The way the offense is being coached as a whole leaves a lot to be desired.
  20. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +1,062
    I'll take Talking Out of Your Ass for $1000, Alex.
    • Like Like x 1