Muschamp vs. Zook - through their first 33 games

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swg8trgr8, Oct 22, 2013.

1. swg8trgr8

swg8trgr8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Ron Zook: 20-13, 14-7 SEC

Muschamp: 22-11, 13-8 SEC
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Also, ron zook had 11 game seasons, so one less cupcake per year.
  3. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +292
    I don't want to say Muschamp gets a free pass for 2011 but he almost does.

1. Injuries: Brantley, Rainey, and Demps at varying times, an assortment of linemen, and even Sturgis missed time.
    2. Schedule: Played the two best teams in the country in back to back weeks and only had our starting quarterback for two of those eight quarters. Also played 11-win South Carolina and 10-win Georgia away from the Swamp. Both of those we could have won despite the circumstances.
    3. Numbers: Warm body count was low following the attrition caused by Meyer's flip and Muschamp's hire. A lot of position changes happened and the best player on the team (Janoris) was kicked off preseason.
    4. Transition year: Always difficult. Difficulty compounded by having a first-year head coach and a complete overhaul to a new offensive system using players mostly recruited to play in something different. Difficulty further compounded by #1, #2, and #3.

Given all of that, there were several games we could and probably should have won in 2011. Many of us agree that we would have beaten Georgia with Jenkins, whose nine lives had expired and had to go. Muschamp had no choice there. Many of us also agree we were hosed at Jordan-Hare that year. As bad as we were and should have been, we were competitive against USCe and FSU.

I scrap that year and say that since then, Muschamp has gone 15-5. And honestly this year resembles 2011 more than any other Florida season in recent memory. In both years we lost our starting quarterback, our best player, and faced a bull of a schedule.

Zook inherited a better program and better players than Muschamp. The SEC wasn't as good or as deep then as it is now. He recruited well enough to win way more than he did and I don't remember the injury bug biting any of Zook's teams nearly has hard as injuries have bitten two of Muschamp's already.

I'm as frustrated with anyone with the lack of progress offensively and the second 4-3 start we've had in three years. But this is far from a fair comparison.
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    If youre going to spout that "11-2 is 11-2" than you have to also wear that 7-6 season because wins and losses are all that matters right? What's a more fair comparison than comparing wins and losses?
  5. UFish

UFish Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +292
    I'm not saying that's the wrong way to look at it. This is Florida and it's results that matter here, but he never had a chance in 2011. Anyone who doesn't see that just wasn't paying attention.
  6. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    Absolutely.

+1
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    2011 was on offensive continuation of 2010.

Meyer Addazio then Muschamp Weis.. Similar results.

This all leads me to believe alot of our problems the past 3 years are personnel driven.
  8. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    Zook always had a better offense, remember when we beat up FSU, we just are out of sync with Muschamp.
  9. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,745
    Injuries, yes.

Personnel, no.

We have recruited well enough to be more than slightly better than most FCS teams.

We are at the bottom of the bucket for FBS teams right now.

Quit making excuses.
  10. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    who inherited less talent: zook or muschamp?
  11. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    This is why the seat is hot for Muschamp. He knows he has to get it turned around.
  12. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Actually, Ron had two 12 game seasons; the extra "cupcake" both years was Miami.
  13. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I agree with you there. I don't hold 2011 against him at all. I've pretty much forgotten it happened.

Last year after the aTm, Tennessee, lsu run I was sold we had a home run hire in Muschamp. But then things deteriorated from that point on, despite the wins, and we've been extremely shaky ever since then, IMO.

Fast forward to today and now I'm not so sure about him. I figured our days of getting blown out and embarrassed like we did Saturday would be long gone and we'd be rolling by now. Can't help to make the zook comparisons myself when you look at the state of the program overall right now.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    7-6 really happened

so did 11-2

We know this coach has the capacity for great seasons as well as the capacity for sub-par ones. We also knew both of those of Urban Meyer. We did not know both of Ron Zook.
  15. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    21-13-1. Know who had this record his first 3 years as a head coach?

Nick Saban. those first 3 years sure told the story of his career didn't it? Yeah:no:
  16. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    For Saban, this included:
    - 1990 at Toledo (9-2 record),
    - 4 years in the NFL,
    - followed by 6-5-1 and 6-6 at MSU in 1995 and 1996.

Saban won his first SEC championship in 2001 at LSU, 11 years after his first year as a head coach. Not saying CWM can never be as good a coach as Saban, but two things:
    - I'm pretty sure there are plenty of coaches that struggled early in their career and some of them turned into Sabans and some of them turned into Zooks, and
    - Hiring a first year head coach is dangerous - your evidence of Saban is followed by a decade of coaching before he became a real coaching success. CWM will not get that time....
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Let's be fair, he won 10 games in his fifth total season as a college head coach. In his sixth He won a national title in his eighth total season.

For comparison, Meyer won his first title in his sixth season as a head coach.
  18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +953
    Look at the talent Zook had compared to WM. Zoom had WAY more talent. Rex was the QB then coming off what should have been a Heisman winning year.

WM had Brantley.

I am disappointed as any in the offensive philosophy and production. This philosophy will lose games that shouldn't be lost.
  19. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498

Toledo, exactly the kind of place where a coach should start out at.......as a head coach. Saban did not get his first job as a HC at Mich St-LSU or Bama, and rightfully so. Just like Florida should not ever be a place for a first time HC.
  20. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,612
    There are exemptions to the rule.... Bob stoops. But I agree with you. We should be hiring established coaches. If Muschamp gets canned after next year, (hopefully not) and Franklin hasn't been taken, that's who I want. He would be a great fit, IMO. Smart, knows the SEC, aggressive attitude and would probably kill it on the recruiting trail. The guy can flat coach 'em up.