Muschamp Vs Pease

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ovillegator, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +538 / 22 / -4
    This is not a coach-bashing thread.

I just want to know one thing -- who has established the offense's style to date -- Muschamp or Pease?

Pease was hired because of his rather brilliant offense at Boise -- just as Will was hired for his rather brilliant defense at Texas. Both those teams' sizable drops in efficiency in those arenas after these coaches left are a credit and proof as to how good they are.

WM is our head coach and in charge -- he has bult a great D here -- but has he giving the keys to build a dynamic offense to Pease or not?

If he has, then based on this 2nd year of lackluster offense, we may have a problem with Pease.

If he has not -- and I'm guessing that may be -- maybe Coach WM needs to trust his hire and let Pease open up the offense his way. He's got two weeks to vary the plan, thanks to the open week.

I'm not an insider, so I look forward to GC's writers' takes as well as the knowledgable insiders on this Board!

Thank you!
  2. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593 / 71 / -38
    I'm pretty sure at some point last year WM made a comment about letting up the reigns on Pease, indicating that he has been limiting what Pease can call.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    why would muschamp hire a wide open, passing type coordinator like pease when his philosophy is to run the ball and eat clock?
  4. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +538 / 22 / -4
    Yes, but did he ever in an overall sense? Letting Pease toss in a couple wild plays, like the end-reverse TD that got called back against Toledo, is one thing. Letting him set the tone for the offense is another.

That's what I'd like to know from the learned here.
  5. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +593 / 71 / -38
    I obviously don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if WM has said to Pease that we need to run x% of the time, and run clock to keep my defense off the field. We need to throw high % passes and stay in 3rd and short at all costs.
  6. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381 / 43 / -7
    I thought our play calling on Saturday was just plain
  7. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +89 / 6 / -3
    Muschamp cares first about protecting the football. If you can't prove to him, we can do that, then he is going to run it 50x a game.

I saw that Driskel can pass and WR can make plays. But everyone looked uncomfortable and panicked doing it, because we don't go into the game trying to score 50. If we did, we might be use to playing more wide open like that.
  8. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 82 / -10
    I'm sure I'll be called names for saying this but the offense really moved the ball well on Saturday but made way too many mistakes by turning over the ball and not executing on a couple of short yardage plays. My opinion is that the offense is struggling to make plays without making errors. Maybe it is at the QB position - that is usually where you see that kind of problem. Driskel is a good kid and a fine athlete but he really does make more errors than he should. Take those away and Florida wins on Saturday with double the yards and 150% of the TOP. I honestly think we will see a dramatic improvement if Driskel can get those mistakes sorted out.
  9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342 / 6 / -11
    Our RED ZONE play calling was bad. Otherwise, I liked what I saw less the turnovers.

The pick that was to Trey Burton is a poorly designed play. You have two receivers within a few yards of each other. We don't run that in HS ball. Run the outside guy IN, the inside guy OUT, and that play probably scores or just incomplete. It wasn't the guy covering Burton who picked it. The pick in the end zone is 100% on Driskel.
  10. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470 / 31 / -8
    I wish I had some insider info for you but I am probably just like everyone else that posts here. To me Muschamp sets the tone on what the game is going to revolve around. I don't doubt that is the same for any alpha male head coach. And I seriously doubt that he micromanages the calls at any given time, but Pease knows what he expects.

As it has been discussed, I think "progress" is going to be predicated on Muschamp evolving on the offensive philosophy side, which is going to take some effort. Pease should be able to adapt based on the changes. Until then we are probably going to see a "cleaning up" focus instead of gambling a little bit more. And as I posted on the Toledo game, it seems to me the best time to experiment is when the game isn't in doubt and not when your back is against the wall. JMHO
  11. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    We should Manny Diaz this offense.

It looks no different than when we played Louisville. The OC should figure out what the kids are capable of doing and do it... instead of a little bit of this (2 back), and a little bit of that ( 1 back ), sprinkled with a bit of spice (diamond), add some salt (empty),add a little sugar (pistol) and a pinch of garlic (wild cat)... UF's Offense has no identity other than having no identity... It is a Chinese fire drill.
  12. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +139 / 18 / -3
    I think that Muschamp has a ball control mentality and lets Pease run whatever he wants until something goes wrong. If we fumble or take a big loss on a reverse, we go right back to the run up the middle offense. Pease doesn't have the same type QB to run his offense that he had at Boise St. I'd like to see him roll JD out more and give him the option to run if his WRs are covered. JD is one of the best runners we have. Let him use his legs and watch the defenses start to spread out.
  13. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 3 / -2
    Nobody here is in a position to know how WM and Pease work together on things like game plans, players, and play-calling unless WM or Pease makes that information public which I'm not aware they've done except in the most general terms (e.g. a year or two ago I think WM said that plays weren't called exclusively by one person, that different coaches had input).

I don't remember WM ever saying he was taking the reins off of Pease but maybe he said it and I missed it.
  14. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 48 / -1
    From an uneducated observer, it seems to me that Pease is running a similar offense to Weis, at least as far as productivity. It could just be a coincidence, but more than likely, it has been Muschamp who has been "stifling" our "offense."

Obviously, as the coach he has final say, but if this is the case, I hope he realizes he needs to let his coach's coach. Pete Carroll, Steve Spurrier and countless other coaches haven't been successful because they micromanaged each aspect of the team.
  15. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470 / 31 / -8
    I wish I had some insider info for you but I am probably just like everyone else that posts here. To me Muschamp sets the tone on what the game is going to revolve around. I don't doubt that is the same for any alpha male head coach. And I seriously doubt that he micromanages the calls at any given time, but Pease knows what he expects.

As it has been discussed, I think "progress" is going to be predicated on Muschamp evolving on the offensive philosophy side, which is going to take some effort. Pease should be able to adapt based on the changes. Until then we are probably going to see a "cleaning up" focus instead of gambling a little bit more. And as I posted on the Toledo game, it seems to me the best time to experiment is when the game isn't in doubt and not when your back is against the wall. JMHO
  16. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491 / 74 / -18
    I think WM has a philosophy he makes know to his coaches as to winning football.
    1. Strong defense.
    2. No turnovers ie protect the ball
    3. Field position
    4. Downhill running game with controlled passing

IMO he wants to win with defense, don't turn ball over and go for high percentage plays on offense. To me that means this kind of run and dud offense. So far, we don't have a dominating OL. Haven't had one for years. Matt Jones has had one terrific game, one. We ran on Toledo because Toledo isn't that good on D. We have an average wrs and an average qb and for the most part a predictable play caller. The only thing we have going for us is a great defense. That's it.
    We can't sustain long drives, we make too many dumb penalties stopping drives, we bog down in the red zone, we eat clock but that's about it. I'm really depressed now. :sad::sad:
  17. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +593 / 71 / -38
    After the BG game last year:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20120901/COLUMNISTS/120909975?p=all&tc=pgall
  18. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +315 / 10 / -2
    There is no offensive gameplan without Muschamp's input. Pease isn't in a secret room conjuring up plays that Muschamp doesn't see until they happen on the field. Having said that, the situational play calling sucks. Wildcat doesn't work anymore because Burton is no threat to pass, so defenses just bring everyone up to the line of scrimmage, running reverses too frequently that they have become predictable, and not rolling Driskell out with a pass/run option which is where he seems to be the most comfortable and dangerous to the other team, unlike when he is in the pocket and dangerous to his own team.
  19. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491 / 74 / -18
    Our offense is like watching paint dry
    • Like Like x 1
  20. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    We moved the ball so much better once we opened it up late, honestly I'm a bit scared that the lesson Muschamp is going to take from this game is to be even more conservative to avoid turnovers.