Muschamp Speaks To The Media Today...See Video

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Jaggator, Oct 23, 2013.

1. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Quick kick.
  2. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Say what you will about the tenets of intelligent commentary, Bro, but at least it's an ethos.
  3. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    "Forget about the TOE!!!"
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    So the only ones confused by our offense is our own players? Yeah, that's a greeeeat coaching job. Doesn't that comment directly indicate it's not just the talent of the player that's lacking? They would have to be untalented and dumb, neither of which I think is true.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Players confused after 7 games?? Not good
  6. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Simplification should appeal to a lot of the simple-minded posters (trolls included) on this board who can't seem to understand that the problems are easy to see but hard to fix immediately. So we take our lumps this year, who cares I'm a Gator & that's all that matters.
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,840
    That sounds about right. Our offense is pathetically predictable and unimaginative.
  8. lerxst6

lerxst6 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    How many coaches of major D1 programs have been fired midseason (with no NCAA reasons noted)? The ones that immediately come to mind are Kiffin, Zook, Terry Bowden and Tommy Bowden. For Terry/Tommy they had been there long enough that the AD wanted to avoid a solid season finish to force their hands to keep the coach they didn't want. Kiffin had bad football and was a complete ass/embarassment in how he conducted himself. Zook had some bad football, no team discipline and was personally picking fights with fraternities. Muschamp has solid defense, great recruiting, awful offense, and gives coach-speak (but professional) at his interviews. You're right Muschamp offended some with swearing on the sidelines in 2011, I had forgotten about that. Seems to pale in comparison to some other things that have happened lately (ref Bo Pellini). Then again, I swear too much too - usually when Florida is on offense.

People here seem to think Muschamp should be fired right now, and that's my issue. It's not going to happen. It would put the program in complete dissarray for months. Even Rich Rodriguez finished out the year at Michigan and they looked considerably worse than the Florida Gators have.

I honestly think he will get 2014, and if it's not right (playing in ATL) at that point he will be fired. If we are #2 in the SEC East in 2014 but things "look better" maybe he gets 2015 too. Foley obviously has no problem firing coaches. For his sake Muschamp should be making some offensive changes right now for this year, and find a few new assistants at year end.

9. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,657
    Or anxious. They have to settle down and call simpler formations.
  10. DivePlay

DivePlay Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    But I thought that was what last year was for? I am not calling for Muschamps head, but some of the "simple-minded" posters who have actually posted stats concerning our consistently horrid offensive decline do have a point.

I think Muschamp has it in him to be a great coach and this year will tell a lot.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,040
    "If one tells the Big Lie often enough, it eventually becomes the truth."

Joseph Goebbels

Zook never picked fights with the idiot frat boys. He tried to avoid confrontation and the drunken brats provoked the issue. I know the details well, so don't make stuff up. Zook wasn't a great coach, but his team discipline was no worse than Spurrier's or Meyer's and he didn't pick a fight with frat brats. He didn't embarrass the program as Kiffin did at USC...
  12. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    I can get you a toe, and with nail polish, amateurs!:wave:
  13. lerxst6

lerxst6 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    First of all I am NOT a liar. And FWIW I really liked Zook. He is by far the coolest UF coach I ever interacted with at one of the Gator Club meetings.

Please enlighten us since you know the details well. I'm not an insider. I am a low level Booster/season ticket holder and University of Florida alumni. I read an AP article that described the situation. I'm not making stuff up. I can't assess a degree of embarrassing (compared to Kiffin), but this sort of article is not something that a University wants reported about it's head football coach.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2004-10-13-zook-fraternity_x.htm

Edit: OK, I said he was "picking fights" ... it had been about 10 years since I'd read that article. He was certainly confrontational, whether he picked a fight or not.

14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,040
    The article was reasonably accurate. What is clear however is that he did not provoke a fight. He responded to a confrontation and did so emotionally. As an old infanteyman, we tend to like leaders who lead from the front, and has your back. If Zook was beloved the Gator Nation would have lionized his stand.

When someone says he is not a great coach that is fair. He isn't. But as a man, I think he was an outstanding man who did his best for the orange and blue. I do not rate people based on how successful they are, what kind of person they are. Was he a smashing success is a coach? No. Did he embarrass the university like Kiffin, Petrino or others? Not even close. Zook is a good man, just as Hall is a good man, and Charley Pell was a good man.

We are all flawed, but when we judge people based on their success, we digress as people.
  15. lerxst6

lerxst6 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Was not my intent to paint Zook in a "worse" light on that fraternity incident. At the time it happened I remember conspiracy theorists speculating that Foley was hanging him out to dry by sending him in the first place. Seems Zook could have sent some grad assistants to do the heavy lifting there, but as you pointed out he's the lead from the front sorta guy.

What I initially typed is what I remembered reading. That said, I'm 42 years old and have had 3 kids (and many sleepless nights due to them) since 2004, so bear with me. :)
  16. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,693
    Worm getting deep!