Muschamp should return next year

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorLaw25, Oct 27, 2013.

1. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    We have 5 games left. One is a gimme, another (Vandy) is a should be win, UGA is a toss-up, USC is a probable loss and FSU should bd a slaughter, unfortunately. We should go 2-3, maybe 3-2. Either way, it's enough to keep his job, even finishing 6-6.

In other words, barring a complete collapse, Muschamp will be back next year.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, though, here are the percentages I give him of keeping his job based on the remaining record for the year.

5-0 = 100%
    4-1 = 100%
    3-2 = 90%
    2-3 = 75%
    1-4 = 30%
    0-5 = 0%

Before, any one says anything, yes, this post serves no great purpose and may actually be stupid. But hey, we'd are in this position... I thought it might be fun to speculate.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the above percentages and if you generally agree with the numbers, regardless if whether you think he should remain our coach or not.
  2. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Losing to vandy has fired tons of coaches. Maybe he could lose his job this year
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    The remaining fbs teams on our schedule have been so inconsistent with the exception of FSU, (man I hate those guys) that we could easily go 4-1 maybe even ....gulp... 5-0 and beat the noles ( hey we normally beat them when we shouldn't and vise versa). OR..... our teams decides to pack it in early and we go something like 2-3 or worse.
    I like to think our guys have more pride than that.
  4. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    I think that if we get straight up embarrassed by FSU might be the only thing that causes Muschamp to lose his job. I'm one of the few around here that honestly believes it would set our program back a couple of years unnecessarily if you were to fire him.
  5. raquetclub

raquetclub Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I think you don't fire him this year or next year if there isn't an elite replacement, but you really have to think about a Chip Kelly caliber guy if that is an option.
  6. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    FSU is that good this year.
    If Clemson got taken to the shed at home by them this year then the same happening to us shouldn't cost WM his job. Going 5-7, on the other hand... Hell, I think another 6-6 year is unacceptable as well, I just don't think it would be enough to cost WM his job.

I only think CWM should keep his job if he wins at least 7 games, but sadly, I think 6 will suffice.
  7. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    The way I see it, South Carolina and Georgia are probable losses.

The sows are going to curbstomp us unfortunately.

Vandy....I really don't know. They aren't bad. They did beat UGA after all. If they did that to them then they can certainly do it to us. If they do....then that is 1-4. That is a 5-7 record overall. At that point Muschamp has to be fired.
  8. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +623
    I agree with BengermanV: sure, it's a katharsis to rant and rave about firing/hiring a coach; but, firing Muschamp this year could possibly put us in a Tennessee like tailspin.

And, I've come to the conclusion that his mistake is that HE IS letting someone (Weis, Pease) run the offense and it's sucking. Sorry, he's the coach of the entire team and we need quality OL and playmakers on both sides of the ball; so, let's go get our share + 3 or 4 and let'er rip in 2014. Another piss-poor offensive showing in 2014 and then we may well need to make a move.
  9. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    Muschamp has great offensive weapons committed to us right now- Grier, Cook, Lane, etc. Give him the rest of the season to get these recruits in and let them play if they are ready.

If the offense is still poor and we lose a good # next year than firing the whole staff is justifiable.
  10. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I think we could beat UGA simply bc they are actually more beat up than we are. But if we don't, then things could get very interesting as that would be 3 losses in a row to them and no better than another 6-6 season under CWM.
    I think it's enough for Foley but I am sure some very high-up boosters would disagree.
    At the very least WM's seat would be on fire for next year. Two out of 3 .500 regular seasons at UF won't cut it, injuries or no injuries, 11-2 in between or not. After all, how is an offense ranked over 100 for 3 years running acceptable at a place like UF??? And how injured were we last year when we ranked over 100 in total offense again??
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Yeah I completely agree and think all these "replace muschamp" threads are about 1 year to early considering all the bad breaks (no pun intended). My only worry is what if muschamp comes back next season and just kills it and we are us again... what will all these doom and gloom posters do to past time, will they form a support group to cope with their losses? a dominant gator squad would leave this board much less combative, it would be weird !
  12. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Considering what a cluster this team is right now, you Muschamp cub scouts really have no room for sarcasm at the moment.
  13. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Yeah I completely agree and think all these "replace muschamp" threads are about 1 year to early considering all the bad breaks (no pun intended). My only worry is what if muschamp comes back next season and just kills it and we are us again... what will all these doom and gloom posters do to past time, will they form a support group to cope with their losses? a dominant gator squad would leave this board much less combative, it would be weird !
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Well it helps pass the time b/c your right things are a cluster F.this season and today was extremly boring with a bye week. Hopefully the team is working hard and keeping focus and maybe just maybe we can put a positive spin to the end of this season. A spoiler win over FSU would be a great Christmas gift. Het one can dream right?
  15. irongator99

irongator99 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I think it's the other way around: Foley seems more willing to be patient with Will than the boosters. Foley has the attitude of "It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'", as far as Muschamp's success, but I sense a lot less faith amongst the boosters I've spoken with. If it were up to JF, I bet CWM would get a 4th year no matter what happens down the stretch this season. However, if we look awful against UGA and FSU, I could see where he might get hit with so much pressure to make a change that he caves.
  16. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    I think it's 50-50 if he ends up losing 6, so I think we're looking at a 50-50 proposition now. I don't think he beats any of them. (even with UGa's defense sucking, I just don't think we can score enough to beat them. I'm not sure we can score enough to beat Vandy, but they only put 17 against A&M's sucky D, so who knows). So to me the difference between maybe being gone and being gone is Vandy. I think 30 percent it too high if he loses that game. And if FSU punishes us -- really punishes us, then I don't think there's any chance he stays, even if he beats UGa.

But the only real question in any of this is whether you think there is cause for optimism. If you think that you've seen enough good to balance out the bad. I haven't. I think he's working a philosophy that is at least 10 years out of date. As football starts moving faster, trying to slow it down will be less and less effective, and less and less appealing to recruits.

But it's still a major school in a major conference, so the consequences of that on both sides of the ball will keep us at a 3-4 average loss team, with some years the stars aligning to get us to 2 or even 1 loss every five or six years, to be followed by a 5 or so loss season because of all the lost starters. In other words, I think he can eventually make us Iowa, or Ole Miss or Arizona State.

I'd like to aspire to better than that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
  17. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    Yeah, the last thing we want is for Champ to be fired and then lose Cook and Lane. Not that that isn't a possibility as it is (though, they seem to look more solid than people were thinking post-Missouri), but he's recruited a lot of great offensive talent the last couple of years.

I say let Muschamp stay for this year and next, no matter what happens. After he gets through next year, make an assessment. At that point, I'd still like to give him one more year, barring another 6-6 regular season next year. We have the talent to win a title in the next two and a half years, so that's half the battle. The other half will be up to Muschamp. He has to adapt, and I think he knows that.

Firing him right now would create a massive hole. As others have said, you already have two jobs that are more appealing than UF that will be available after this year (and potentially three, if you count Nebraska). So hiring a top tier coach is probably out of the question. Unless you are confident Charlie Strong (who may be on his way to the NFL anyway) could come in here and turn things around with a depleted recruiting class and lots of attrition faster than Muschamp could with the team as is, you have to stick with CWM until it becomes clear he isn't a good head coach.
  18. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    Honestly, I think a Gator win over UGA is highly likely, as long as Gators find a way to pressure Erin Murray. He's great when he has time, but sucks under pressure.
  19. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    UF will fire Pease/Davis before WM. Unless the D quits and UF goes 0-5 or 2-3. WM is coaching for his job in the next 5 games as MB noted.
  20. yankgator

yankgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I am concerned that LSU showed other teams how to defense us. I sense that Gurley will be back for UGA and that will give them the opportunity to outscore us. Vandy only scored 17 against Tam because they were playing their second string quarterback and one has to assume that he will be back against us.